Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meanwhile, during the Canadian election

Likely Guy

1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

I grew up in a community that voted liberal for feds and NDP(nickle and dime pimps) for provincial

My father always voted against the party in power. He felt that they "got too comfortable".

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

I'm still not sure if I'll vote for the leader, or the local candidate.

I hate to say this, and I hate that I am one of them, but, yeah, I'm not voting. I am tired of voting for someone just because I don't like the other candidate. I would like to vote for someone I believe in, and a party that truly at least, appears, to have a realistic plan to help the hard working stiffs that are the majority of this nation. 

"you may say I'm a dreamer......" blah blah blah

• Like 3

Just now, Likely Guy said:

My father always voted against the party in power. He felt that they "got too comfortable".

Hi Likely

It may be that some Canadians don't think a majority gov't is objective enough and vote differently federally and provincially to create a balance

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

I grew up in a community that voted liberal for feds and NDP(nickle and dime pimps) for provincial

I grew up in a community that voted Conservative all the time, on all levels. You could run a half eaten ham sandwich as the conservative candidate and it would get in. Actually, a half eaten ham sandwich is a lot smarter and interesting than any of the candidates who got in.

Edited by jeceris
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, jeceris said:

I hate to say this, and I hate that I am one of them, but, yeah, I'm not voting. I am tired of voting for someone just because I don't like the other candidate. I would like to vote for someone I believe in, and a party that truly at least, appears, to have a realistic plan to help the hard working stiffs that are the majority of this nation. 

"you may say I'm a dreamer......" blah blah blah

No, I see your point of view and that's your prerogative.

For those that don't vote, don't complain about the party in power.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No, I see your point of view and that's your prerogative.

For those that don't vote, don't complain about the party in power.

Hi Likely 

I don't complain about the party in power because I gave them no power, I do not believe i in our political system so don't vote for the runner up or vote period.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jeceris said:

I grew up in a community that voted Conservative all the time, on all levels. You could run a half eaten ham sandwich as the conservative candidate and it would get in. As coincidence would have it, a half eaten ham sandwich is a lot smarter and interesting than any of the candidates who got in.

My last MP's only record of note (after 14 years in the house) was to rename his riding. Full pension.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Likely 

I don't complain about the party in power because I gave them no power, I do not believe i in our political system so don't vote for the runner up or vote period.

My brother's the same kinda way. He's never voted and doesn't talk politics.

Just curious, you don't believe in the current political system. Is there one that you would?

My last MP's only record of note (after 14 years in the house) was to rename his riding. Full pension.

Makes you puke!! Doesn't it?? There's a lot like that. Actually, the half eaten ham sandwich was minister of agriculture, for the Tories, under Mulroney. Until that whole mustard scandal hit.

• Haha 3

The one thing I do like about our system is that the election period is so short.

Edit: Holy crap, we're the current 'hot topic' in the Americas forum.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

The one thing I do like about our system is that the election period is so short.

Oh man!!! Agreed!! And, that within a month the government is formed and they are the ones in power the day after the election results are confirmed, This American long drawn out process, with the winner not able to get in for almost three months after being voted in, it's just nuts. And as shown by the last moron over there, very dangerous.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

My brother's the same kinda way. He's never voted and doesn't talk politics.

Just curious, you don't believe in the current political system. Is there one that you would?

Hi Liklely

To me govt is property management and should submit a business plan and opposition should oversee that they stick to their plan and ammend their own platform for the next business cycle. The influence of business should offset personal taxes and consumer costs at home, why can Americans South of the border be able to buy gas, soft woods or other products than I can in the places that the resources exist?

Edited by jmccr8
+shatty edum acation
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, jeceris said:

Oh man!!! Agreed!! And, that within a month the government is formed and they are the ones in power the day after the election results are confirmed, This American long drawn out process, with the winner not able to get in for almost three months after being voted in, it's just nuts. And as shown by the last moron over there, very dangerous.

The only time I remember that happening was with Trump and Hillary. We usually know by the time the polling stations close.

3 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

why can Americans South of the border be able to buy gas, soft woods or other products than I can in the places that the resources exist?

Too true. It's free trade agreements. I voted for Mel Hurtig and the National Party in that election.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Michelle said:

The only time I remember that happening was with Trump and Hillary. We usually know by the time the polling stations close.

Does "Dewey Defeats Truman" ring a bell? :D

edit: No, i wasn't born yet either.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Haha 1

Does "Dewey Defeats Truman" ring a bell? :D

If it happened before I was born it didn't happen. :lol:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Yeah, or the time Gore and Bush went at it. But, the fact that the winner has no power the day after the election, and has to wait almost 3 months to get in, while the incumbent pardons all of the criminals, and continues to actually govern, is , well, nuts.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jeceris said:

Yeah, or the time Gore and Bush went at it. But, the fact that the winner has no power the day after the election, and has to wait almost 3 months to get in, while the incumbent pardons all of the criminals, and continues to actually govern, is , well, nuts.

You don't want to get rid of the evidence until your sure you have to. pffft

• Haha 5

Hey Michelle, there are so many types of government and democracy, and all are flawed. And not for a minute am I saying our process is better, or perfect. 

We have a three party, well 5 party system that really screws thing up at times. We have a party whose soul purpose, is to take care of Quebec and no one else!! And they get seats in parliament all the time!!

It's pretty whacked here as well.

• Like 2

It's pretty whacked here as well.

It didn't take long for me to find out none of them anywhere would come up smelling like a rose.

We have a party whose soul purpose, is to take care of Quebec and no one else!! And they get seats in parliament all the time!!

But there was a time when the NDP had more seats in Quebec than the Bloc.

I'm still mad at Jack Leyton for dying. :angry: He would have made a great Prime Minister.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

But there was a time when the NDP had more seats in Quebec than the Bloc.

I'm still mad at Jack Leyton for dying. :angry: He would have made a great Prime Minister.

That.....was crazy. A strong protest vote for once by the Kaybeckers. And yeah the NDP have had good leaders. I know I'm showing my age on this one, but when I was young, Ed Broadbent was the leader of the NDP. It was the first time i saw a politician with genuine intelligence and compassion. I had hope for a minute, But's long gone. The NDP always seem to get in power when there's a protest vote. How about the provincila election in Alberta when Notley got in. And then the next election they are gone. 

I really think the Greens will be lucky to get that one seat out on Vancouver Island. They might be toast after this.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jeceris said:

Very good!! If only he were that witty, and clever, and smart and every other positive aspect a level headed individual has.

He's very French--what more could you ask?

• Haha 1

They're making it so difficult to vote. Every election a polling station would be set up in my building, but not this time around. On Monday I'm going to have to walk a whole entire block just to cast my vote. It's like a four minute walk! Not sure any political party is worth that much effort.

The only remaining way to vote now is at your assigned polling station on Monday. Be there or be square.

• Haha 1

And here we go......voting today??? not me.

I am predicting a Liberal minority government.........again! But what do I know? 

• Like 1