Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Unknown phenomenon' reported in Tennessee

UM-Bot

A metorite? It is somewhat reminiscent of the (much smaller) Tunguska event.

Edited by jethrofloyd
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

Was going to write the same

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, godnodog said:

Was going to write the same

35 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

I was thinking gas buildup in a cave system, former mine or swamp with the epicenter somewhere off the beaten path........... or a prankster.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Tannerite. Oxygen/acetylene in a balloon. Propane tank.

Any kind of homemade explosive device.

• Like 4

If there are military bases anywhere they are likely testing weapons underground which can cause seismic events and explosions to resonate.

My father used to manage a weapons factory that produced many different ammunition for the Ministry Of Defence and foreign military, primarily a lot of them were for naval warships (the big guns) and of course they had to test them down underground gun ranges.

While it was all done at an old WW2 airfield, there were a couple of villages about 10 miles away that would regularly make complaints to authorities that there were loud explosions and windows shaking from the tremours. They would often try to take the factory to court over cracks in their walls and other issues caused by the explosions.
They never knew what it was but they knew the factory was testing weapons and knew who was responsible even if they didn't know the exact cause.

My guess is that if there is no visible explosion anywhere then it is either a meteor or weapon testing below the surface.

• Like 2

I live in Northern Alabama. We have explosion sounds all the time. The local newspaper has written it up a time or 2. Nobody could ever figure our what it was. It still happens from time to time at night. Everybody in the neighborhood, turns their front porch light on, steps outside, and looks around. It happens so often we don't even ask, "Did you hear that?" anymore.

In all fairness, there is local road construction going on with blasting now, but it was happening before they started working on the road.

Edited by jowasmus
  • Like 4

On 9/11/2021 at 8:02 PM, UM-Bot said:

Authorities in Tennessee were left scratching their heads at the weekend after reports of a mysterious explosion.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/350499/unknown-phenomenon-reported-in-tennessee

The area where this occurred is located in the New Madrid earthquake zone and its possible the following could account for the sounds and shaking experienced. There were loud sounds like explosions before the New Madrid earthquakes of 1811 and 1812. Could this mean another event may occur in the near future, let's hope not.

Midwestern U.S.

There are accounts of "artillery"-like sounds that were said to have occurred before or during the New Madrid earthquakes of 1811-1812 (M 7.4-7.9).

High-frequency vibrations from the shallow earthquake generate the booming sound; when earthquakes are deeper, those vibrations never reach the surface. Sometimes the earthquakes create booming sounds even when no vibrations are felt.

https://www.usgs.gov/natural-hazards/earthquake-hazards/science/earthquake-booms-seneca-guns-and-other-sounds?qt-science_center_objects=0#qt-science_center_objects

The 1811–1812 New Madrid earthquakes https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1811–1812_New_Madrid_earthquakes

• Like 3

On 9/14/2021 at 7:25 PM, Manwon Lender said:

The area where this occurred is located in the New Madrid earthquake zone and its possible the following could account for the sounds and shaking experienced. There were loud sounds like explosions before the New Madrid earthquakes of 1811 and 1812. Could this mean another event may occur in the near future, let's hope not.

Midwestern U.S.

There are accounts of "artillery"-like sounds that were said to have occurred before or during the New Madrid earthquakes of 1811-1812 (M 7.4-7.9).

High-frequency vibrations from the shallow earthquake generate the booming sound; when earthquakes are deeper, those vibrations never reach the surface. Sometimes the earthquakes create booming sounds even when no vibrations are felt.

https://www.usgs.gov/natural-hazards/earthquake-hazards/science/earthquake-booms-seneca-guns-and-other-sounds?qt-science_center_objects=0#qt-science_center_objects

The 1811–1812 New Madrid earthquakes https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1811–1812_New_Madrid_earthquakes

The sad part is I would bet you are correct.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freez1 said:

The sad part is I would bet you are correct.

I really hope I am wrong, because the last Earthquake on the New Madrid fault zone was the one of, if not the worst Quake in US History I mean it lasted from 1811 - 1812. The Mississippi River flowed backward for a few hours, can you imagine that, or an Earthquake lasted for almost two Months.:w00t: So not only could there be an earthquake, but also a Volcanic eruption along with an earthquake I dont think it could get any worst than that.:w00t:

""The epicenters of the earthquakes were located in an area that at the time was at the distant western edge of the American frontier, only sparsely settled by European pioneers. Contemporary accounts have led seismologists to estimate that these stable continental region earthquakes were felt strongly throughout much of the central and eastern United States, across an area of roughly 50,000 square miles (130,000 km2), and moderately across nearly 3 million km1811–1812 New Madrid earthquakes - Wikipedia

Mississippi flows Backward

Some sources try to say the river didn't really run backward, but just seemed to, as it spread out over surrounding land, after Mother Nature dropped dams across it.  The most authoritative source is probably the Enigma paper, and eyewitness accounts from it and and others, which mention a "great upstream wave and retrograde current". Ask the boatmen who were rudely awakened in the middle of the night, and had to hold their hats on while their boat went rapidly upstream for "more than a mile," ... "four miles" ... "at the speed of a fast horse" ... "It was a current going backward" Mississippi River ran backward 1812, maps (showme.net)

This was reported in 2012

Over the past year or so, there have been several reports of people in towns in Arkansas and Missouri, near the New Madrid fault region, that are smelling a foul odor in the air. Some compare it to dead animals or bodies, and some to sulfur. These reports have been increasing over the last few months, and people reported noticing the smell before a recent earthquake in the region, in Missouri. The smell of sulfur would indicate that the volcanoes in the region are beginning to activate, and that the water in-flow from the affected North American plate area (along with the pressure from the Caribbean plate), due to the destabilizing of the Gulf of Mexico sea bed, is now near to completion.

This was reported in 1811 and 1812

Around the time of the 1811-12 New Madrid earthquakes, people in the area where the quakes occurred, noted the smell of sulfur, and especially after the quakes hit, many eyewitness accounts described a stench of sulfur in the air. This was due to the releasing of fumes from the magma chamber, up through cracks, with the pressure pushing it from the eruption sequence.

Around 2012

These smells are near to the area where some of the mass bird die offs recently happened in Arkansas as well. The sulfur smell is a bad sign. It has probably taken this long just for the underground rift to flood with sea water. The fault line river areas were also already bombed and filled with river water as well, thanks to the corps of engineers. So, the only thing missing now would be a trigger. If a trigger comes, then there will be an eruption of the fault line, which could also allow for the Gulf of Mexico sea floor to collapse and sink, thus lowering the sea level of the New Madrid fault region. This would cause massive flooding, which would also include tsunamis caused by the enormous earthquakes that would occur.

It may not be imminent, as sulfur smells were reported in the region quite awhile before the first quake in 1811. However, since the sulfur smells have now been reported for quite awhile in the current time, and since the reports of sulfur smells increased before the recent earthquake in Missouri - this would seem to imply that a quake is near. With the recent Missouri quake perhaps even being a fore quake.

New Madrid Fault Region: Area Residents Noticing Sulfur Smells In Arkansas And Missouri

Take care my friend, and by the way I was born and grew up in St, Louis, MO. During my childhood we had a number of small earthquakes occur, but the one they are talking about above in 2012 was the worst since I have been alive. The worst one I remember occurred in 1968, and it was 5.5 on the Richter scale.

• Like 1