Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

SpaceX's first civilian astronauts 'underestimated' how intense the training would be

Still Waters

SpaceX is about to attempt a new first: launching a spaceship full of people who aren't professional astronauts into orbit.

The four-person crew consists of a billionaire, a physician assistant, an engineer, and a scientist. On Wednesday, weather permitting, they'll climb aboard a Crew Dragon spaceship atop a Falcon 9 rocket, then roar into space.

They're set to orbit Earth for three days, enjoying the views and collecting data for scientific research, then plummet back through the atmosphere and parachute to a safe landing. They call their mission Inspiration4.

https://www.sciencealert.com/spacex-s-first-four-civilian-astronauts-underestimated-just-how-intense-their-space-training-would-be

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-spacex-first-civilians-trained-for-spaceflight-photos-2021-9?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This is a little off topic but... Last night my son asked me to make the "noodles that look like Elon Musk's mouth" for dinner. Who can guess what kind that turned out to be?

This is exciting. I hope it goes well. 

• Like 1

Arg. Hopefully the traffic won't be too terrible. When they launched the Falcon Heavy it took me two hours to get home, 14 miles.

The first four amateur astronauts will take off from Florida in just a few minutes, if everything goes as expected. MSNBC has said that they will offer live coverage of the launch. I'm watching for than to begin, momentarily. 

Edited by bison
added information

Good Luck what an achievement 

• Like 1

Side note: NASA is reviewing if they should be given commemorative "astronaut wings" or just a certificate of accomplishment.

The height requirement was fine, but that's it.

You see, "astronauts" are those who actually significantly participate in the functions of the spacecraft.

These were tourists ONLY.

I guess NASA will rule on this case. Saw it on CNN.com.

SpaceX Inspiration4 mission: Crew appear in live video featuring weightless flips and ukulele performance

The first all-civilian astronaut crew to reach orbit have appeared in a live video feed featuring weightless flips and a ukulele performance.

The crew of SpaceX's Inspiration4 broadcast a 10-minute live YouTube video showing Chris Sembroski, a 42-year-old data engineer, strumming chords while the craft orbits Earth.

The four-member team hosted a show-and-tell session as they soared over Europe at about 17,500mph.

https://news.sky.com/story/spacex-inspiration4-mission-crew-appear-in-live-video-featuring-weightless-flips-and-ukulele-performance-12410907

On 9/17/2021 at 12:02 AM, pallidin said:

Side note: NASA is reviewing if they should be given commemorative "astronaut wings" or just a certificate of accomplishment.

The height requirement was fine, but that's it.

You see, "astronauts" are those who actually significantly participate in the functions of the spacecraft.

These were tourists ONLY.

I guess NASA will rule on this case. Saw it on CNN.com.

Sour because they are hurt in their feelings probably...

First-ever civilian SpaceX flight returns from orbit

• Like 1

Wonder if the flat Earthers will believe these civilian ‘astronauts’ reports of a spherical earth?

Edited by Susanc241
Predictive text deciding it knows best.

Yeah, SpaceX's version leaves the other's bottle rocket tourist in the dust.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...