Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Something's Moving At Night

jowasmus

I don't sleep good. I have floaters in both eyes. While sitting in my computer room/laundry room at night, I sometimes see "things" move. I don't hear anything, but I see small things. Basically just a shadow or dark silhouette. We had to move out for a bit when our roof leaked water & the electricity was shorted out. A mouse got in while we were away, but we caught & released it away from home.

So, I have seen something(s) running about ground level. No sounds at all. Larger than a mouse, but nothing I can actually see. Mostly it/they pass by the door about ground level. One jumped in the chair with me. I jumped and I was sure I saw something, however I didn't feel anything and it was just not there.

I'm good with thinking I was dreaming, hallucinating, exhausted, or whatever, but 2 days ago, my daughter walked into the hall to go brush her teeth before bed. She jumped and said, "What's that!?!" She was confused and said there was nothing there, but she was sure she saw "some kind of small shadowed thing running towards her in the hall." I've never told anybody what I've seen. Mass hysteria with just 2 people? Anybody else seen anything like this? Ghost rats sounds dumb to me, but I got nothing else.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

If you have eye floaters, that certainly explains why you see these things.

It doesn't explain why your daughter would, especially if you haven't told her about them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jowasmus said:

I have floaters in both eyes

Hi Jowasmus

I have floaters as well not to mention some scars on my eyes and only see them in certain light conditions and yes the do seem to move but am sure that it is just the way the mind notices and processes them at the time during eye movement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jowasmus said:

I don't sleep good. I have floaters in both eyes. While sitting in my computer room/laundry room at night, I sometimes see "things" move. I don't hear anything, but I see small things. Basically just a shadow or dark silhouette. We had to move out for a bit when our roof leaked water & the electricity was shorted out. A mouse got in while we were away, but we caught & released it away from home.

So, I have seen something(s) running about ground level. No sounds at all. Larger than a mouse, but nothing I can actually see. Mostly it/they pass by the door about ground level. One jumped in the chair with me. I jumped and I was sure I saw something, however I didn't feel anything and it was just not there.

I'm good with thinking I was dreaming, hallucinating, exhausted, or whatever, but 2 days ago, my daughter walked into the hall to go brush her teeth before bed. She jumped and said, "What's that!?!" She was confused and said there was nothing there, but she was sure she saw "some kind of small shadowed thing running towards her in the hall." I've never told anybody what I've seen. Mass hysteria with just 2 people? Anybody else seen anything like this? Ghost rats sounds dumb to me, but I got nothing else.

I think you did see something.  I think your daughter saw it too.  I think it was a mouse.  These guys are so incredibly fast.  I've seen exactly what you have described...and it has always been a little, itsy witsy, teeny eeny, wittle bitty mouse!  I know because every time I have seen that dark shadowy thing zipping by I have set a mouse trap...with deathly results...I don't play that catch and release game.  I am a cold blooded mouse killer!   And I don't have a problem sleeping at night either!  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jowasmus said:

First thought is why use the terms 'rat' or 'mouse' at this point. Mice would more likely hide from you then jump up on you. Decent chance you guys are experiencing the paranormal but also a decent chance it was some kind of normal visual events.

you don't sleep well and they're seen in the computer room. funny, 'shadow beings' are often sensed around sources of electricity, thought to be the product of focal electrical stimulation. just putting two and two together, here 

outside of that, highly likely just 'tired eyes' lazily and sloppily picking up on things. that or, an actual big rat lol. or anything looks bigger and more hostile when on the boundaries of dark and light 

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, joc said:

I think you did see something.  I think your daughter saw it too.  I think it was a mouse.  These guys are so incredibly fast.  I've seen exactly what you have described...and it has always been a little, itsy witsy, teeny eeny, wittle bitty mouse!  I know because every time I have seen that dark shadowy thing zipping by I have set a mouse trap...with deathly results...I don't play that catch and release game.  I am a cold blooded mouse killer!   And I don't have a problem sleeping at night either!  

Has a rat ever done anything to you to create this animosity you feel toward them?

Rats were the cause of the Bubonic plague, I purpose to you, any disease a rat could spread a squirrel could equally carry.

Yet I assume you don't share the same animosity with squirrels that you do with rats, do you?

You don't like them. You don't really know why you don't like them. All you know is, you find them repulsive.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, MissJatti said:

Has a rat ever done anything to you to create this animosity you feel toward them?

Rats were the cause of the Bubonic plague, I purpose to you, any disease a rat could spread a squirrel could equally carry.

Yet I assume you don't share the same animosity with squirrels that you do with rats, do you?

You don't like them. You don't really know why you don't like them. All you know is, you find them repulsive.

:lol: You are a funny girl!

I am fine with rats and mice and squirrels.  I actually honk at squirrels to avoid running over them.  My overall philosophy is Live and Let Live.  However;  I do have another philosophy that is equal in it's seriousness.  And that philosophy is...   If you threaten me, I will annihilate you!  

It doesn't really matter where the threat comes from either.  Nor does it have to be real.  For instance...if you come in my house, uninvited...I perceive that as a threat...unless...and this is the ONLY exception...unless, you happen to be a cricket.  I will pick crickets up and throw them outside...but spiders, bugs, mice, ...so sowwy Chawwy...you gonna die.

I have seen lots of rats and mice in my chicken coop.  I'm good with them.  But when I see a Rat Snake...yeah, annihilation time!  I trapped and killed 2 Raccoons over the summer.  Why...because I hate Raccoons?  No!  Because they kill my chickens...for fun.  Threat!  Annihilate!  I spray wasp nests on my property and I exterminate fire ants (as much as I can) on my property because I perceive a threat.  

It really doesn't matter...live and let live...unless  you threaten me...and then...I will annihilate  you!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, joc said:

:lol: You are a funny girl!

I am fine with rats and mice and squirrels.  I actually honk at squirrels to avoid running over them.  My overall philosophy is Live and Let Live.  However;  I do have another philosophy that is equal in it's seriousness.  And that philosophy is...   If you threaten me, I will annihilate you!  

It doesn't really matter where the threat comes from either.  Nor does it have to be real.  For instance...if you come in my house, uninvited...I perceive that as a threat...unless...and this is the ONLY exception...unless, you happen to be a cricket.  I will pick crickets up and throw them outside...but spiders, bugs, mice, ...so sowwy Chawwy...you gonna die.

I have seen lots of rats and mice in my chicken coop.  I'm good with them.  But when I see a Rat Snake...yeah, annihilation time!  I trapped and killed 2 Raccoons over the summer.  Why...because I hate Raccoons?  No!  Because they kill my chickens...for fun.  Threat!  Annihilate!  I spray wasp nests on my property and I exterminate fire ants (as much as I can) on my property because I perceive a threat.  

It really doesn't matter...live and let live...unless  you threaten me...and then...I will annihilate  you!  

I'm a bit different..ive never seen a racoon or a rat snake,or any kind of snake come to think of it.but if i kept chickens i would probably do the same.

But with spiders and bugs I don't see them as a threat,so i tend to pick them up and chuck them out the door into the garden.

Things i do or would consider a threat are cockroaches,rats,wasps,ants and flies........bees are fine though,they get caught and released.

My old cat once ran in the house with a live mouse,so i picked it up by the tail and threw it out the window.if it had of been a rat though it would have tasted sweet lady brick.:yes:..my biggest surprised was when she came in with a half dead seagull,this thing was huge,at least twice the size of the cat,blood ,crap and feathers everywhere so i had to finish off the gull.

Still could be worse,imagine living somewhere like s.africa where troops of baboons break in, demolish the fridge,and rifle through the wifes knicker drawer.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, diddyman68 said:

I'm a bit different..ive never seen a racoon or a rat snake,or any kind of snake come to think of it.but if i kept chickens i would probably do the same.

But with spiders and bugs I don't see them as a threat,so i tend to pick them up and chuck them out the door into the garden.

Things i do or would consider a threat are cockroaches,rats,wasps,ants and flies........bees are fine though,they get caught and released.

My old cat once ran in the house with a live mouse,so i picked it up by the tail and threw it out the window.if it had of been a rat though it would have tasted sweet lady brick.:yes:..my biggest surprised was when she came in with a half dead seagull,this thing was huge,at least twice the size of the cat,blood ,crap and feathers everywhere so i had to finish off the gull.

Still could be worse,imagine living somewhere like s.africa where troops of baboons break in, demolish the fridge,and rifle through the wifes knicker drawer.

It is against the law to kill bees...plus it is just wrong...they are the reason we exist.  Also against the law to kill any bird native to North America without a license, with the exception of sparrows and starlings...both of which I consider a threat because they kill my Purple Martin babies.  Starlings and sparrows are not native to North America.

I kill spiders and bugs because they threaten my piece of mind  (visa vi my wife and daughter) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joc said:

It is against the law to kill bees...plus it is just wrong...they are the reason we exist.  Also against the law to kill any bird native to North America without a license, with the exception of sparrows and starlings...both of which I consider a threat because they kill my Purple Martin babies.  Starlings and sparrows are not native to North America.

I kill spiders and bugs because they threaten my piece of mind  (visa vi my wife and daughter) 

Agree , it's wrong to kill bees,i love them little critters.in fact when i see one half dead on the window sill i give it a bit sugar water ,it often perks up.

I try to be lenient with spiders,mainly because we have the same natural enemy......flies...

Anyway what was the thread title again? Hope it hasn't been derailed.soz o.p.

• Haha 1

That would be things moving out of sight as a shadow...i.e. mice...which gave rise to me saying that I thought it was a mouse...that gave rise to a comment about me killing mice...

But yes...they appear as black shadowy things that just fly across the room...so fast.  I have floaters to...but not enough to confuse with that!  Definitely a  mouse in flight. they are quick little buggars....

remember those cartoons ???  Tom and Jerry   

The homeowner lady is like waunk, waunk, waunk, opens the door for a second but looking at who she is talking to...waunk, waunk, waunk, and shooooom....the mouse goes into the house in a flash...even though the door is open for a few seconds.  That's real life man.

You got mice... @jowasmus.  Where there is one, you know there is an entire family waiting to illegally cross the border into your house!  Andele, andele, areba...yeehaw! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry I just love quoting from movies lol :D 

On 9/11/2021 at 2:02 PM, GlitterRose said:

If you have eye floaters, that certainly explains why you see these things.

It doesn't explain why your daughter would, especially if you haven't told her about them.

Yeah, I just assumed it was just me until she said something. Then it bothered me.

On 9/11/2021 at 2:43 PM, jethrofloyd said:

Gremlins?

The only gremlins I know about were on the movies. I may start calling them gremlins regardless of floaters or not. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 3:32 PM, jmccr8 said:

Hi Jowasmus

I have floaters as well not to mention some scars on my eyes and only see them in certain light conditions and yes the do seem to move but am sure that it is just the way the mind notices and processes them at the time during eye movement.

Yeah, I was pretty sure it was floaters, but it just bothers me how often I notice them & it really got me when my daughter said what she did.

On 9/11/2021 at 3:46 PM, joc said:

I chalked it up as floaters until my daughter saw one too. A mouse sounds as reasonable as anything else. The one that I thought jumped in the chair with me could have just been me falling asleep by the computer, dreaming it, & waking up. I'm just not sure.

We usually kill them too, but the mouse we caught was pretty wiley & I figured as many traps as he dodged that he/she deserved to live. LOL We let it go in the woods. Kinda humored my son at the time as well.

On 9/11/2021 at 3:54 PM, papageorge1 said:

First thought is why use the terms 'rat' or 'mouse' at this point. Mice would more likely hide from you then jump up on you. Decent chance you guys are experiencing the paranormal but also a decent chance it was some kind of normal visual events.

I used those terms because it's what I thought it was at 1st & then things kinda kept on happening. My daughter has also been sick. She might have still been dealing with sickness at that time. I don't know.

On 9/11/2021 at 4:07 PM, XenoFish said:

If this happens when you are fatigued (tired) I wouldn't worry much about it. 

That's when I see it, mostly. My daughter was about to go to bed as well.

On 9/11/2021 at 4:59 PM, HandsomeGorilla said:

you don't sleep well and they're seen in the computer room. funny, 'shadow beings' are often sensed around sources of electricity, thought to be the product of focal electrical stimulation. just putting two and two together, here 

outside of that, highly likely just 'tired eyes' lazily and sloppily picking up on things. that or, an actual big rat lol. or anything looks bigger and more hostile when on the boundaries of dark and light 

I'm thinking tiredness factors in a lot. It just bothered me when my daughter said what she did. Kinda hoping for a mouse, but no signs or sounds of one.

1 minute ago, jowasmus said:

That's when I see it, mostly. My daughter was about to go to bed as well.

Then it's more than likely fatigue induced. 

On 9/12/2021 at 3:19 PM, joc said:

That would be things moving out of sight as a shadow...i.e. mice...which gave rise to me saying that I thought it was a mouse...that gave rise to a comment about me killing mice...

But yes...they appear as black shadowy things that just fly across the room...so fast.  I have floaters to...but not enough to confuse with that!  Definitely a  mouse in flight. they are quick little buggars....

remember those cartoons ???  Tom and Jerry   

The homeowner lady is like waunk, waunk, waunk, opens the door for a second but looking at who she is talking to...waunk, waunk, waunk, and shooooom....the mouse goes into the house in a flash...even though the door is open for a few seconds.  That's real life man.

You got mice... @jowasmus.  Where there is one, you know there is an entire family waiting to illegally cross the border into your house!  Andele, andele, areba...yeehaw! 

I agree. Usually where there's one, there's a bunch.