Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Solar storm could cause 'Internet apocalypse'

UM-Bot

I have a library containing some 3000+ books.

I have lived through 1 year without electricity. I read a book a day, which amounted to some 60,000 pages in a year. Yes, often using candlelight or flashlight.

No dvd player, no cd player, no tv, no pc, no microwave, no frige, no washing machine, no lights. Nada.

Believe me: we will survive.

Probably some who are addicted to the internet and 'social media' will kill themselves.

In that case they were good for nothing anyway.

Yes, yes, I can hear you: "What about calling 911 in case of ... ?"

Well, then consider the present to prepare for that future.

Good luck.

• Like 3

So im lost. A week ago i was inundated with headlines of the "solar tsunami" happening that day and my feed is cluttered with headlines about how it will cause disruptions ever since. And now headlines are saying it could happen... But what happened to this huge eruption that supposedly already happened and came straight our way? My internet is working fine. How long exactly does this eruption take to reach us? The claims dont add up.

• Like 1

yet another thing we'll never really prepare for because most won't bother to take it seriously...Until it does cause a lot of people to lose tech infrastructure money.

See: Climate change, pandemics, actually keeping social safety nets well-funded, etc.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

So im lost. A week ago i was inundated with headlines of the "solar tsunami" happening that day and my feed is cluttered with headlines about how it will cause disruptions ever since. And now headlines are saying it could happen... But what happened to this huge eruption that supposedly already happened and came straight our way? My internet is working fine. How long exactly does this eruption take to reach us? The claims dont add up.

Its gone already.

C3.0 solar flare with earth-directed CME

Friday, 27 August 2021 - 13:31 UTC

Sunspot region 2859 produced a long duration C3.0 solar flare yesterday which launched a coronal mass ejection into space. The plasma cloud has a good chance to impact our planet in a few days time.

Sunspot region 2859 produced an interesting solar flare today which peaked at 18:18 UTC. The flare reached a maximum of C3.0 and looks eruptive. Any resulting CME could be earth-directed. We will update with more info later when coronagraph imagery becomes available. pic.twitter.com/zlKc8dad4o

— SpaceWeatherLive (@_SpaceWeather_) August 26, 2021

The solar flare launched a partial halo coronal mass ejection at a speed of about 500km/s which is moderately slow. The partial halo signature of about 270 degrees gives us confidence that the plasma cloud has a good chance of arriving at Earth. Considering the speed of the plasma cloud, we expect it to arrive at Earth on Monday, 30 August. Active geomagnetic storm conditions (Kp4) are likely with a chance of minor G1 (Kp5) geomagnetic storm conditions.

— SpaceWeatherLive (@_SpaceWeather_) August 27, 2021

Type II radio sweep

A Type II Radio Emission was observed yesterday at 23:29 UTC. This was the result of an impulsive C3.9 solar flare from sunspot region 2860. The resulting coronal mass ejection was unimpressive and unlikely to arrive at Earth. Sunspot region 2860 has been growing during the past 24 hours and developed a Beta-Gamma magnetic layout. More C-class solar flare are possible from this sunspot region.

00:15 UTC - Type II Radio Emission
Begin Time: 26/08/2021 23:29 UTC
Estimated Velocity: 691km/sec.

— SpaceWeatherLive (@_SpaceWeather_) August 27, 2021

spaceweatherlive.com

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Believe me: we will survive.

Probably some who are addicted to the internet and 'social media' will kill themselves.

The lack of personal internet will not kill us.  The lack of communication between businesses could sure hurt though.  Supply chains get disrupted, the power grid gets disrupted, assets in banks may be inaccessible.  Medical care will also have issues. Our infrastructure has become heavily dependent on internet communication.  

Unless you are a born again prepper raising your own food with power and water sources, it is more than the  inconvenience  of reading books by a kerosene lamp.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

The lack of personal internet will not kill us.  The lack of communication between businesses could sure hurt though.  Supply chains get disrupted, the power grid gets disrupted, assets in banks may be inaccessible.  Medical care will also have issues. Our infrastructure has become heavily dependent on internet communication.  

Unless you are a born again prepper raising your own food with power and water sources, it is more than the  inconvenience  of reading books by a kerosene lamp.

I'm not a prepper, but I am not getting nervous.

But I have stored food, and it will last for perhaps a year. Also stored water.

I know a thing or 2 about herbal medicine.

I have enough cash money.

What more?

TOILET PAPER!!!

Damn!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

'm not a prepper, but I am not getting nervous.

But I have stored food, and it will last for perhaps a year. Also stored water.

I know a thing or 2 about herbal medicine.

I have enough cash money.

What more?

TOILET PAPER!!!

Damn!

Well you should read up on what kind of tree leaves to use and which to avoid.  Then you are cool.

• Haha 3

If the internet is all we lose, we'll be in good shape.  But a solar storm could knock out the electrical grid, fry electronics in our vehicles, make pipelines inoperable, and so on.

But maybe there is an opportunity here:  Buy several computers and store them in a Faraday cage.  Then if we get such a storm, your computers could be worth millions.

For that matter, just keep the one you're on now in a Faraday cage.  If the storm comes when you're off-line, you'll be rich.  If you're on-line at the time, you will have a good story about how close you came to being rich.

Doug

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

It affected us here in Canada, all the carriers at some point did not have service, our internet went down at work, but they got things back up and running quickly

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

No internet?

Infrastructure concerns aside, sign me up!

I remember having an American penpal back in the day, who not only sent me actual handwritten letters, but also a big box of handmade chocolate chip cookies!

I don't recall any of you lot sending me cookies... what's the deal there, huh? :unsure2:

Edited by LV-426
  • Haha 2

To hell with the internet, it could knock-out your ECU.   The smart thinking is that the effect of a CME would not be as devastating as some foretell.

10 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

If you're on-line at the time, you will have a good story about how close you came to being rich.

Hi Doug

Yeah but how would you sell it without ebay I would keep them and sell services then hire smarter people than me to take care of it.:lol:

7 hours ago, glorybebe said:

It affected us here in Canada, all the carriers at some point did not have service, our internet went down at work, but they got things back up and running quickly

Hi Glorybee

When was that I haven't had any problems?

6 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Doug

Yeah but how would you sell it without ebay I would keep them and sell services then hire smarter people than me to take care of it.:lol:

You'd have to climb a tree and holler.

Doug

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Glorybee

When was that I haven't had any problems?

It was September 2.  But, when we called into the carriers,  it was more widespread we were told it was across Canada

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/local/calgary/2021/9/2/1_5571323.amp.html

Edited by glorybebe
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, glorybebe said:

It was September 2.  But, when we called into the carriers,  it was more widespread we were told it was across Canada

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/local/calgary/2021/9/2/1_5571323.amp.html

Hi Glorybee

Thanks that must have happened while I was working and didn’t notice anything 

6 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Glorybee

Thanks that must have happened while I was working and didn’t notice anything 

It was quite interesting at work.  People need their phones,  and some were quite upset, understandably so.  

• Like 1

Just now, glorybebe said:

It was quite interesting at work.  People need their phones,  and some were quite upset, understandably so.  

I can imagine for some it would, I was doing a Reno in the office at a resort so was not using my phone other than during meals or after work that week

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LV-426 said:

No internet?

Infrastructure concerns aside, sign me up!

I remember having an American penpal back in the day, who not only sent me actual handwritten letters, but also a big box of handmade chocolate chip cookies!

I don't recall any of you lot sending me cookies... what's the deal there, huh? :unsure2:

Ach well.  You're still Alive.