Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ben Stein suspended from YouTube for talking about forbidden topics

OverSword

3 hours ago, OverSword said:

I said effective monopoly.  YouTube is a monopolistic part of the market for posting and viewing videos made by average people.

How can it be a monopoly when you can do the exact same thing on Facebook which has more members than YouTube?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

:lol:

Yes, it was a pretty stupid thing for me to say. There are a lot of CTs on YT. I suppose YT may distinguish between the ones that are harmless, like the ones about Bigfoot and alien abductions, and the ones that have the potential to harm others like aniti-vaxx and anti-abortion  stuff. I don't browse YT, usually only visit when another site points to something on it.

57 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

How can it be a monopoly when you can do the exact same thing on Facebook which has more members than YouTube?

You must be a member to even look at Facebook

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

You must be a member to even look at Facebook

Way to dodge the question.

5 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Way to dodge the question.

I didn't dodge the question.  Only members can view Facebook while anyone can view YouTube therefore as far as information platforms go YouTube is probably actually larger (larger audience)

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Only members can view Facebook

And how much does it cost to become a member?  Same amount it costs to use YouTube.  Regardless, YT is obviously not a monopoly considering the size of its competitors.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

And how much does it cost to become a member?  Same amount it costs to use YouTube.  Regardless, YT is obviously not a monopoly considering the size of its competitors.

I, and many people I know who are on YouTube regularly want nothing to do with Facebook.  It's got nothing to do with money.  I don't consider YouTube and Facebook in the same category.  YouTube is a place I can watch videos, Facebook is a place where people over-share things about their lives and keep in touch with family and friends, Twitter is where the brain dead gather to play short attention span theater with each other.  None of them do the same thing.  They are not competitors.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, OverSword said:

None of them do the same thing. 

They all allow the uploading of videos, among many others which are a search away if you're really interested, which is what Ben Stein wants to do and has many opportunities to do outside of YT.  Thus, it's not a monopoly by definition, and thus his statements about YT 'approximating the government' are pretty bad.

23 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

They all allow the uploading of videos, among many others which are a search away if you're really interested, which is what Ben Stein wants to do and has many opportunities to do outside of YT.  Thus, it's not a monopoly by definition, and thus his statements about YT 'approximating the government' are pretty bad.

When the US does antitrust things on monopolies it's not based on a 100% control of a market. Its based on a percentage normally. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Michelle said:

My brother-in-law puts a lot of patriotic stuff on facebook and they have, at times, been removed too.

Mine too. I don't even bother anymore because the policing of fb posts is so politicized now, but I noticed they are really heavy on restricting and discrediting anybodies posts related to covid, especially vaccines. The blatantness of the propaganda and narrative directing and how easily people lap it up is worrisome

• Like 2

to be honest i have not see any political propaganda or about covid on FB. in a while they are doing good job cleaning it up.  

oh they also monitor your pm's too, i one send a link in pm, , a harmless link of hats, regular knitted winter hats, on a clothing site, they blocked it and wrote it violated their standards, i do not care really why they blocked it, i care that they blocked it at all, in a pm, so they monitor them, frackers. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

You’ve heard me say long before this that I feel that a company like YouTube effectively functions as the public square so you won’t convince me that they should censor anything the protected by the first amendment. I believe they should be regulated to that effect or broken up or made a utility as I also feel they take up enough of their particular niche that they are too large not to be effectively a monopoly. My opinion you don’t have to agree 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aztek said:

to be honest i have not see any political propaganda or about covid on FB. in a while they are doing good job cleaning it up.  

oh they also monitor your pm's too, i one send a link in pm, , a harmless link of hats, regular knitted winter hats, on a clothing site, they blocked it and wrote it violated their standards, i do not care really why they blocked it, i care that they blocked it at all, in a pm, so they monitor them, frackers. 

You’re on Facebook? I assume it’s the only way you can communicate with your mother without actually calling :lol:

Edited by OverSword
  • Haha 1

I don’t watch Stein. His humor isn’t for me.

Joking seriously about public health is a line that had to be drawn, because of too many lies and not enough truth.

Good for YouTube, in this case. 

• Like 1

Aren’t all those sites policed by an algorithm? There’s no other way to police that much content.

As of February 2020, more than 500 hours of video were uploaded to YouTube every minute. This equates to approximately 30,000 hours of newly uploaded content per hour. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/259477/hours-of-video-uploaded-to-youtube-every-minute/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, el midgetron said:

Aren’t all those sites policed by an algorithm? There’s no other way to police that much content.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/259477/hours-of-video-uploaded-to-youtube-every-minute/

They have algorithms and also many human staff who filter content .FB and other reponsible sites try to filter out content that is illegal or that can cause harm to others. That is what I meant by using "intelligence". Of course there are lots of crackpot theories propounded on FB, but they try to remove offensive stuff, like anti-vaxx and anti-abortion theories, incitement to riot etc. They let CTs about Bigfoot, the moon landings being a hoax, etc remain as they do no harm.

The moderators receive counselling and support as neccessary:Facebook content moderation is an ugly business. Here's who does it - CNET

Edited by The Silver Shroud
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

When the US does antitrust things on monopolies it's not based on a 100% control of a market. Its based on a percentage normally. 

What percentage normally?  Again, are you saying that YT should have to host holocaust denial and racist content? Why not?

It's so odd to have to discuss and defend the rights of business owners, like freedom of speech, to people who are typically on the right.  

10 hours ago, el midgetron said:

From my understanding it's an algorithm and then appeals are reviewed by a person.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

What percentage normally?  Again, are you saying that YT should have to host holocaust denial and racist content? Why not?

It's so odd to have to discuss and defend the rights of business owners, like freedom of speech, to people who are typically on the right.  

Technically 51% or more could be enough to get in trouble.  But like it's complicated and based on alot of other factors as well.

I'm not in any way an expert on Monopoly law. But this link goes into it some.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/competition-guidance/guide-antitrust-laws/single-firm-conduct/monopolization-defined

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, OverSword said:

I, and many people I know who are on YouTube regularly want nothing to do with Facebook.  It's got nothing to do with money.  I don't consider YouTube and Facebook in the same category.  YouTube is a place I can watch videos, Facebook is a place where people over-share things about their lives and keep in touch with family and friends, Twitter is where the brain dead gather to play short attention span theater with each other.  None of them do the same thing.  They are not competitors.

I've always thought Facebook has a rather narcissistic vibe going on. 'look everyone, I'm on holiday in Italy'....'look everyone, I'm at a posh restaurant eating lobster'  'look everyone, my daughter has just graduated' etc. etc. etc. & TikTok is well.....mostly for the whackadoodles.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, OverSword said:

You’re on Facebook? I assume it’s the only way you can communicate with your mother without actually calling :lol:

what makes you think my mother is on FB, or i have problems calling her?  I see her every week, usually on Sundays when i bring her grandkids, that is besides her calling me almost every other day.