Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

September 18

Doug1066

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

That is not the subject of this thread, so why bring it up, except that you are using it as an excuse for bad behaviour in this thread.    I saw your conversation in that thread.  Get over it.   You are stuck on something that happened yesterday and has nothing to do with anything in this thread.  

AND you did not answer my question.   I assume that means that your attack on @Doug's math skills was just another weak attempt at deflecting your real problem.

He was the one who called me out initially here, but I guess you didnt notice or care about that.

As for pointing out his bad math, that is kind of what happens here.  People will point out misinformation, incorrect information, or any other flaw or issue.  He wanted to try and used math to back up his argument but the math was just wrong and was pointed out.

Your outburst is rather odd and suggest you have some problem yourself.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

That is not the subject of this thread, so why bring it up, except that you are using it as an excuse for bad behaviour in this thread.    I saw your conversation in that thread.  Get over it.   You are stuck on something that happened yesterday and has nothing to do with anything in this thread.  

AND you did not answer my question.   I assume that means that your attack on @Doug's math skills was just another weak attempt at deflecting your real problem.

I didn't write the sentence that Darkhunter is referring to very well.  I said that several times and he is pretending he didn't see it.  I did not mean to imply ALL hospitals in America, just some in a 200-mile radius circle in Alabama and those in Louisiana, possibly Arkansas Texas and Oklahoma.  My local hospital is still shipping cases of all kinds to Joplin, MO.  A helicopter ride across town costs $750.  I can't imagine what one to Joplin would cost.

About math skills:  I have just completed a paper on the mathematics and geometry of slopover plots.  I'm dying to show it to someone.  I'll be glad to send a pre-publication copy to anybody who wants to see it.

Doug

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

He was the one who called me out initially here, but I guess you didnt notice or care about that.

As for pointing out his bad math, that is kind of what happens here.  People will point out misinformation, incorrect information, or any other flaw or issue.  He wanted to try and used math to back up his argument but the math was just wrong and was pointed out.

Your outburst is rather odd and suggest you have some problem yourself.

My problem is people insisting on others proving their opinion when it is An Opinion and not answering questions that are relevant to what they have posted, instead making excuses and accusing others of doing what they themselves are doing, in this case I am referring to you.  You still never answered my question about what qualifies you to be able to question someone else's math, especially someone who uses it daily for his job and has a degree that required it.   You are still just making excuses.  I have read the thread all along and I saw several times when @Doug corrected his general statements and you are still beating a dead horse.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

My problem is people insisting on others proving their opinion when it is An Opinion and not answering questions that are relevant to what they have posted, instead making excuses and accusing others of doing what they themselves are doing, in this case I am referring to you.  You still never answered my question about what qualifies you to be able to question someone else's math, especially someone who uses it daily for his job and has a degree that required it.   You are still just making excuses.  I have read the thread all along and I saw several times when @Doug corrected his general statements and you are still beating a dead horse.  

You could block him.  I have.

Doug

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

I didn't write the sentence that Darkhunter is referring to very well.  I said that several times and he is pretending he didn't see it.  I did not mean to imply ALL hospitals in America, just some in a 200-mile radius circle in Alabama and those in Louisiana, possibly Arkansas Texas and Oklahoma.  My local hospital is still shipping cases of all kinds to Joplin, MO.  A helicopter ride across town costs $750.  I can't imagine what one to Joplin would cost.

About math skills:  I have just completed a paper on the mathematics and geometry of slopover plots.  I'm dying to show it to someone.  I'll be glad to send a pre-publication copy to anybody who wants to see it.

Doug

I saw where you corrected your general statement to be more specific.  That is one of the reasons I pushed back at him.    Another is I am getting fed up with people who demand proof of another's Opinion when it disagrees with their own Opinion.

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

So now you are just demanding to know and requiring people to show qualifications, essentially the same thing as requiring a link to back up statements. 

As for my qualifications in math, I got a bachelor's degree in mathematics, also one in engineering, finishing up a masters in mathematics, pretty good chance I'm going to try for a phD after.  The beauty of mathematics is that its relatively simple to prove something wrong which Doug was.

Outside of some attempted approximations and other rarely used ways to find skew, skew comes from the third moment of the moment generating function, which has nothing to do with the median.  Each distribution will have a moment generating function.  It's not an opinion that he was wrong and has little idea of what he is talking about, he seems to have a low level understanding of stats, enough to do basic simple calculations but not much more.  Definitely no where close to actually understanding the terminology or where stuff comes from.

As for him correcting his statement which one are you referring to, the one where it said covid hospitalizations was at I believe 86% of projected levels for hospitalization, guessing you saw 86% and didnt bother reading the rest cause 86% of a projection is not 86% hospitalization.  Or maybe the link with it stating between 3% and 30% of hospital occupancy was covid related, both are far from near 100% of hospitalization and relatively meaningless without knowing the occupancy size of the hospital.  

Edited by DarkHunter

8 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

So now you are just demanding to know and requiring people to show qualifications, essentially the same thing as requiring a link to back up statements. 

As for my qualifications in math, I got a bachelor's degree in mathematics, also one in engineering, finishing up a masters in mathematics, pretty good chance I'm going to try for a phD after.  The beauty of mathematics is that its relatively simple to prove something wrong which Doug was.

Outside of some attempted approximations and other rarely used ways to find skew, skew comes from the third moment of the moment generating function, which has nothing to do with the median.  Each distribution will have a moment generating function.  It's not an opinion that he was wrong and has little idea of what he is talking about, he seems to have a low level understanding of stats, enough to do basic simple calculations but not much more.  Definitely no where close to actually understanding the terminology or where stuff comes from.

As for him correcting his statement which one are you referring to, the one where it said covid hospitalizations was at I believe 86% of projected levels for hospitalization, guessing you saw 86% and didnt bother reading the rest cause 86% of a projection is not 86% hospitalization.  Or maybe the link with it stating between 3% and 30% of hospital occupancy was covid related, both are far from near 100% of hospitalization and relatively meaningless without knowing the occupancy size of the hospital.  

Well, thank you for answering my question.  Not answering it in the first place made you look like  you didn't have any qualifications.   When you call someone out on their qualifications you need to be prepared to submit your own.   How could it be otherwise in a rational conversation?   You came off as irrational, which really has nothing to do with the amount of education you have or plan to have.  

• Like 1

Sounds like DarkHunter would be able to read my paper.  It's basically, high school math with double meridian distance added in, so he shouldn't have much trouble.

Doug

Sounds like the wingnuts are getting cold feet about Saturday.  It finally dawned on some of them that their second attack on democracy would be a good way to get a bunch of them arrested - that is, if the cops are being nice.

I have been to a number of demonstrations in which getting arrested was the whole point.  If you believe in your cause, show it by going to jail.

Doug

Or maybe they finally realized Former President Trump don't have the keys to the nukes anymore... 

~

1 hour ago, third_eye said:

Or maybe they finally realized Former President Trump don't have the keys to the nukes anymore... 

~

Or more likely, they discovered after the first try that he had no intention of backing them up.  After saying he would just hours earlier.  Not even right-wingers can trust him.

Doug

• Like 1

There are so many daft ideas floating around I had to look to see if this was in the conspiracy section. 

Good grief...:rolleyes:

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Most "mathematics" mistakes are caused by not setting the problem up right, or not reading the statement correctly, which DH did.

I have completed math courses through Differential Equations, but that was 30 years ago and I remember almost nothing about it now.  I have enough credits in stat to qualify for a Masters, but they are from four different schools and spread over a 30-year period.  My Ph.D. is in Environmental Science.

Mostly I work with regression analysis, detrending tree ring series.  I have published two papers that use regression quite heavily and now I am about to submit the slopover paper which is all mathematics/geometry, albeit, high school level math (as it was taught 50 years ago),  From what I see of our incoming students, they aren't being taught that sort of math anymore.  I have an upcoming paper on probability corrections for sampling trees located in the edge strip (It's already partially written.).  I expect to do another on the mathematics/geometry of the Mirage Method of tree selection.  That about covers it for now.

Your skills in math fell victim to your failures in reading.

Doug

8 minutes ago, Michelle said:

There are so many daft ideas floating around I had to look to see if this was in the conspiracy section. 

Good grief...:rolleyes:

We did get a bit side-tracked.

Doug

I see some good news for Democrats.  The Never-Trump Republicans have been/are being purged from the party or feel abandoned by its lunacy.  They are defecting to the Democrats where they are becoming Never-Trump Democrats, a moderating influence on the more radical members of the party.  That will save the Dems from themselves.

In their efforts to end democracy, Republicans in Colorado are meeting this weekend in Colorado Springs to decide whether to abolish the party's primary system in favor of having a committee pick the candidates.  The problem?  Party members can no longer vote in a primary and will be forced to join the Democrats in order to vote at all.  There are 1.8 million Republicans in Colorado who are about to be disenfranchised.  If Colorado Republicans go through with this form of suicide, I guarantee they won't like he result.

Doug

CNN political commentator Ashley Allison said Thursday on “The Lead” that those planning to attend the Justice for J6 rally in D.C. Saturday have “very close parallels to the Taliban.”

Allison said, “We know that Joe Biden won the election, and these folks show up because, on January 6, there’s a group of people who wanted to overthrow our government and did not believe what voters decided to do. They are coming back on Saturday to make the point the second time. This is not the first time a rally has a reunion, so to speak. It happened when Charlottesville, neo-Nazies marched in the streets as they came back to Unite the Right.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2021/09/16/cnns-allison-those-attending-saturdays-rally-have-very-close-parallels-to-the-taliban/

CNN fail

The rally saw extremely low turnout, with only 20 to 30 of Kessler's supporters marching and thousands of counter-demonstrators amid a heavy police presence.[9] The rally was widely described as a "pathetic" and "embarrassing" failure.[10][11][12][13][14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite_the_Right_2

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

CNN won the Fake News Awards in 2017, its inagural year and have held the title since. Its been a good run for them!

• Like 3

A few diehards are showing up in DC as I write this.  They didn't all get scares away.

Some of the leaders are avoiding this so they don't get arrested.

There will be security cameras everywhere, so if you go Uncle Sam will have your smiling mug shot for future reference.

Doug

On 9/14/2021 at 8:28 AM, Myles said:

Probably be nothing.    Not nearly as bad as the left wing riots, violence and destruction last year.  

Yeah those 95 percent peaceful protests sure where scary, and those five percent acted like sports fans after a superbowl loss...but they where black so people **** themselves! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Autochthon1990 said:

Yeah those 95 percent peaceful protests sure where scary, and those five percent acted like sports fans after a superbowl loss...but they where black so people **** themselves! 

95%, yeah right, you go ahead and believe that.    There were 3 near me and each one ended with violence and people being hurt.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are the 95% of BLM protesters less scary for you than the 95% of capitol protesters because you have a lower standard for black people?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

Are the 95% of BLM protesters less scary for you than the 95% of capitol protesters because you have a lower standard for black people?

Don't you know that black people dont have agency? They can't even get ID or register to vote and they don't know how to use the internet.

This isn't racist apparently, it's literally what the left believe.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, el midgetron said:

I consider an attempted overthrow of the democratic process a wee bit more serious then smashing open a storefront to run off with toilet paper and shoes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I consider an attempted overthrow of the democratic process a wee bit more serious then smashing open a storefront to run off with toilet paper and shoes.

They walled themselves off and declared themselves autonomous from the United States. It was a full blown treasonous rebellion. The media just told you not to care.

• Like 1

Comes in late....

Is there rioting yet? Are there dumpster fires?