Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

AOC Wears ‘Tax the Rich’ Dress to $35,000 Per Ticket Met Gala

el midgetron

Remember when Democrats decided NY didn’t need Amazon setting up a headquarters there? Amazon had been offered a 3 billion dollar tax incentive to build their HQ in NY. After the deal went belly up ACO said NY could invest that 3 billion in their communities themselves. She is an idiot. 

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/02/23/amazon-deal-reveals-aocs-lack-of-economic-smarts/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandria_Ocasio-Cortez#Amazon_HQ2_plan

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

Remember when Democrats decided NY didn’t need Amazon setting up a headquarters there? Amazon had been offered a 3 billion dollar tax incentive to build their HQ in NY. After the deal went belly up ACO said NY could invest that 3 billion in their communities themselves. She is an idiot. 

Any particular reason?  Maybe she was looking at Foxconn and how much Wisconsin threw away on that deal.  Maybe she was looking at how much money every city has lost on tax cuts for building new sports stadiums.   Maybe she knows her history and knows where the inner city slums in a lot of East Coast and Midwest cities came from.   Maybe she know how much middle class taxpayers fork out for each of those jobs.

3 hours ago, Hawken said:

With her political pull, I wonder if AOC got that homeless man a job. I assume his sign said, Will Work For Food.

Or maybe she just gave him a burger to give herself a feel good moment. :unsure:

Hi Hawken

Years ago when I first came out here I would go for a walk after work and everyday the same people would panhandle for money. Things were crazy here you couldn't find enough people to work and I offered a few of them a job sweeping floors and picking up construction rubble and not one of them wanted to work likely made more money bumming to bother working for a living.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2021 at 9:43 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I’d be happy to do so, all day and every day. 

Not bad...

But she's no Nancy Pelosi! :wub:

59 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Hawken

Years ago when I first came out here I would go for a walk after work and everyday the same people would panhandle for money. Things were crazy here you couldn't find enough people to work and I offered a few of them a job sweeping floors and picking up construction rubble and not one of them wanted to work likely made more money bumming to bother working for a living.

Yes, a lot of them are homeless by choice rather than unfortunate circumstances.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Any particular reason?  Maybe she was looking at Foxconn and how much Wisconsin threw away on that deal.  Maybe she was looking at how much money every city has lost on tax cuts for building new sports stadiums.   Maybe she knows her history and knows where the inner city slums in a lot of East Coast and Midwest cities came from.   Maybe she know how much middle class taxpayers fork out for each of those jobs.

I’m pretty sure she opposed the Amazon deal because she didn’t like the idea of property value going up in the area where she felt more low income housing was needed. She saw the deal as corporate welfare and didn’t like the evil capitalist Amazon corporation moving into the neighborhood. I guess somewhere in there is an argument that tax revenue and jobs are bad for a community.

Anyway, despite whatever speculation for her reasoning we might venture, her postulation that the 3 billion could instead be invested in their communities-of-needs is a real head scratcher considering the 3 billion didn’t exist and never will in any form without the billions in tax revenue Amazon would have generated for the state. She said they could spend that 3 billion instead on their schools and infrastructure which needed more money invested in them. She was cheering the defeat of the deal that could have generated the money their schools and infrastructure needed. The 3 billion was tax incentives, it was a discount on future taxes paid. The 3 billion doesn’t exist to spend elsewhere as AOC suggested. 

Edited by el midgetron
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

. I guess somewhere in there is an argument that tax revenue and jobs are bad for a community.

No, not necessarily.  Here is one think tank view.  Is it the best authority to reference?  I don't know.

So, are tax incentives a good investment for local jurisdictions to make? By all indications, they’re not. CityLab calls them “worse than useless,” the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy says they’re “costly for states, drag on the nation,” and most economists agree such incentives are counterproductive.

So why are so many cities and states offering them anyway? Basically, because everyone else is, and jurisdictions feel like they need to offer perks just to keep up with other local governments. In the end, it’s the residents who suffer.

Here is another one from Bloomberg  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-12/rethinking-tax-incentives-so-they-actually-work

Economist Timothy Bartik explains why the public costs of tax incentives often outweigh the benefits, and describes a model business-incentive package.

Apparently the incentives  in cases studied can be higher than the overall return to the city or state. 

https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2021/04/28/murphys-law-the-true-costs-of-new-foxconn-deal/

The True Costs of New Foxconn Deal

But the true cost to taxpayers for this deal includes all the upfront costs already incurred under Walker’s plan, which are $681 million. That makes a total cost of $761 million for 1,454 jobs, or more than $523,000 per job.

On 9/14/2021 at 8:25 PM, Tatetopa said:

Well that is perfect.  Someone with principles.  Even when she became mysteriously rich, she stuck to her principles that the rich should be taxed just like the rest of us and she wasn't afraid to show her beliefs to her rich friends and hob-nobbers.  Now if she had showed up with a dress that said "don't tax the rich" I would wonder who was paying for her dinner..  

image0.jpg.13582897aec707743a9c0f9afc253cfe.jpg

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Where is ACO while we have thousands of illegals packed under an over pass? Kids stuffed in cages like sardines? Americans and green card holders abandoned in Afghanistan? 

….Going to a gala with the rich and famous. No more grandstanding to do at Trumps expense?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, el midgetron said:

Where is ACO while we have thousands of illegals packed under an over pass? Kids stuffed in cages like sardines? Americans and green card holders abandoned in Afghanistan? 

….Going to a gala with the rich and famous. No more grandstanding to do at Trumps expense?

ah, well finally she is chiming in on the situation …..by spreading fake news -

her pal Ihan Omar is blaming the situation at the border on systemic racism, 

• Like 4

so what if she wear a 35k$ dress? There's a difference between wanting to tax riches and to be against rich people.

Edited by godnodog

42 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

ah, well finally she is chiming in on the situation …..by spreading fake news -

her pal Ihan Omar is blaming the situation at the border on systemic racism, 

She never was afraid to spread lies. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, godnodog said:

so what if she wear a 35k$ dress? There's a difference between wanting to tax riches and to be against rich people.

“When Aurora and I were first kind of partnered, we really started having a conversation about what it means to be working-class women of color at the Met, and we said, 'We can’t just play along, but we need to break the fourth wall and challenge some of the institutions,'” Ocasio-Cortez said

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-sends-political-message-first-met-gala-appearance-n1279096

I think when you earn $174k and wear $35k designer dresses to an event you were invited to which is attended by the rich and famous, you forfeit your title of “working class”. Apparently AOC is so disconnected from the “working class” that sees herself as an equal to the single mother who supports her family by punching a clock everyday. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-sends-political-message-first-met-gala-appearance-n1279096

I think when you earn $174k and wear $35k designer dresses to an event you were invited to which is attended by the rich and famous, you forfeit your title of “working class”. Apparently AOC is so disconnected from the “working class” that sees herself as an equal to the single mother who supports her family by punching a clock everyday. 

If she really cared about the working class she would have been outside with the protesters.  She will be in the 1% In a few short years.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, el midgetron said:

She didn't purchase the dress.  It's the equivalent of renting a car that you can't afford when you go on vacation...does that make someone a bad person?

Edited by Agent0range
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, el midgetron said:

Interesting perspective.  It might be just as important to note what causes she supports, working class or elite; and where her funding comes from, working class or big corporations.  That would also be a measure of where her heart and interest lies.

44 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Interesting perspective.  It might be just as important to note what causes she supports, working class or elite; and where her funding comes from, working class or big corporations.  That would also be a measure of where her heart and interest lies.

Me thinks AOC loves herself some AOC.
Another measure might be who’s required to be masked up. At the Met Gala, it was the working class.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/15/masks-for-waiters-and-servants-but-not-for-aoc-and-the-rest/

On 9/16/2021 at 12:56 PM, Tatetopa said:

Having Amazon set up in your city is a boon.  Thousands of new employees imported in bring fresh tax revenue from property taxes, sales taxes, state income taxes.  All the small businesses that open to support lunchtime in the area where there are suddenly thousands of more people eating, all of the employment opportunities for the people who already live in the area.  Speaking as a person who lives in a city that has built two state of the art stadiums to ensure our teams and the associated revenue they bring remain there I'll tell you it's stupid cities like San Diego who did not do what is needed to be done to keep the Chargers there that regret it.  There goes millions in tourism dollars and every small business in the stadium area folding creating new unemployment and condemning that area of the city to become dingy and poor. 

Edited by OverSword

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Having Amazon set up in your city is a boon. 

Earlier in this thread I think I listed some sources that say the contrary is also likely.  it is not quite so cut and dried.  The Foxconn $50k jobs cost taxpayers something like $174k each. 

History will tell you that we owe inner cities and slums to a prior age when  mega-manufacturing was on the rise and plants like Ford or US Steel needed 10,000+ workers.  When the supply of Eastern Europeans dried up due to WWI, recruiters turned their eyes to the South. It was great until the 60's when the big factories began dispersing.  Cities were left with the remnants, decreasing jobs, and shrinking tax revenues.

In AOC's case if the neighborhood her constituents live in got razed  to build Amazon and they can't find nearby affordable housing, it is a loss for them.  A representative should represent the needs of their district first. Greater good comes from  many legislators in many districts voting.  If representatives are not advocated for their districts, who will be?

11 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

In AOC's case if the neighborhood her constituents live in got razed  to build Amazon and they can't find nearby affordable housing, it is a loss for them. 

The land is zoned for manufacturing so the odds are there are no apartments, homes or condos.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Michelle said:

The land is zoned for manufacturing so the odds are there are no apartments, homes or condos.

Shows what I know.  Thanks for new information.

• Like 1

Criminalizing the uninvited crossing of soveiregn borders is a recent invention? Pretty sure it's been a staple of tribes and nations throughout human history. 

• 2 weeks later...