Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do Chairs Exist?

XenoFish

Sure, we exist, and  have experiences. In than sense we are real. Cogito Ergo Sum.  Materialists assume that our experiences are merely part of a supposed physical reality. There are other possibilities. The foundation of a large-scale physical reality, based on quantum physics, is at least questionable. A thought-based reality could include all the properties, experiences and events with which we are familiar, and some that we have yet to experience. It only requires a source of thought equal to the task of sustaining it.  

20 minutes ago, bison said:

Sure, we exist, and  have experiences. In than sense we are real. Cogito Ergo Sum.  Materialists assume that our experiences are merely part of a supposed physical reality. There are other possibilities. The foundation of a large-scale physical reality, based on quantum physics, is at least questionable. A thought-based reality could include all the properties, experiences and events with which we are familiar, and some that we have yet to experience. It only requires a source of thought equal to the task of sustaining it.  

In other words people are full of it and no one know anything. Got it. 

• Thanks 2

Either something exists or it does not. Wishing or believing that something is real or true will never make it so no matter how much philosophical pablum you slather on it.

40 minutes ago, Bendy Demon said:

Either something exists or it does not. Wishing or believing that something is real or true will never make it so no matter how much philosophical pablum you slather on it.

Hi Bendy

Now don’t go slathering pablum on my unseen particles as it might mess up these fine threads I’m wearing on my seen particles. :o:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have no idea why this thread decided to venture into quantum physics. I guess schrodringer's cat decided to claw up the chair cushion or didn't.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, bison said:

If one assumes from the outset that a universe of solid matter exists, then it follows that it exists, and existed, independent of our observation. I make no such assumption. A universe of  potentiality and thought, like that suggested by the measurement problem in quantum mechanics, would require a thinker; an observer, but that needn't be a human thinker.  

Quantum particles, it appears, don't  change from one state to another, when we observe them. They emerge from a vague condition of  multiple, mere possibilities, into a particular apparent state. 

If we, ourselves are, in reality, insubstantial, then insubstantial chairs are sufficient to hold us up!

Its not an assumption. It is an observable truth

However, my point was that "solid matter"  has a fairly fixed definition. Put  simply it is  matter through which other matter (including that in a liquid or gaseous form) cannot pass

There may be atoms   quantum forces  and even smaller pieces which make up solid matter but until I can walk through it, it is solid . :) 

You assume an observer is required.

That may not be so,

We don't know enough yet, to say. 

If we were insubstantial, then neither insubstantial nor substantial chairs would hold us  (given that  substantial infers substance . :) 

• Like 1

an aside 

The concpet of matter transmission relies on the technical abilty to break anything including a human body down into its smallest pieces.

Then a template is created and the template  is transmitted to a new destination. where the object is "resolidified"

I think an understanding of the nature of quantum mechanics, and an abilty to manipulate a the quantum level, is  one of the essentials to our developing this technology. 

On 9/15/2021 at 8:37 AM, XenoFish said:

Interesting video I found. Thought I would share it.

Seems like a lot of complicated semantic confusion and category errors in there lol. Ultimately I don't even necessarily accept the assumption that "simples" or "stuff" exists to begin with. It would be the commonly accepted explanation, but I don't think it is the only possible one.

So, do chairs exist? I don't know. I can only go by what the seat of my pants tell me. :unsure2:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, theSOURCE said:

So, do chairs exist? I don't know. I can only go by what the seat of my pants tell me. :unsure2:

Hi Source

My golden bowl with a flush handle tells me the chair is real as frebreeze sales will attest

• Haha 2