Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Putting a face to Krijn, the Netherland's oldest Neanderthal man

Still Waters

A group of paleo-anthropological artists at Kennis & Kennis Reconstructions have put their skills to good use—reconstructing the face of Krijn, the earliest known Neanderthal living in what was once Doggerland. The results have been included in Rijksmuseum van Oudheden, a Dutch national museum dedicated to exhibiting material from the antiquities.

Krijn is special for another reason. He is the first hominin from the Pleistocene ever found under seawater. A fragment of his skull that included parts of his brow was found in material sucked from the bottom of the North Sea off the coast of the Netherlands in 2001 in an area that was once part of Doggerland. Prior study of the skull fragment showed that Krijn lived approximately 50,000 to 70,000 years ago. Researchers also found that he fed mostly on meat, though he did also eat seafood on occasion. He has been described as likely having a strong, sturdy build, typical of a young male Neanderthal.

https://phys.org/news/2021-09-krijn-netherland-oldest-neanderthal.html

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Looks like my friend Dean 

Didn't Animal drum for your band before he made it big with Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem?  Is his given name Dean?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Didn't Animal drum for your band before he made it big with Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem?  Is his given name Dean?

No Dean was a UFO hippie I hung out with years ago.  My drummers name was Dog Boy :D

• Haha 1