Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

20 years ago, I smuggled myself into the Taliban's country to tell the story of women

Abramelin

Yep, it's a sad thing.  Too bad enough of the people of that country don't desire or have the will to fight to live differently.  They've seen how it could be and let it slip away.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Yep, it's a sad thing.  Too bad enough of the people of that country don't desire or have the will to fight to live differently.  They've seen how it could be and let it slip away.

Would you let things 'slip away' while someone pointed a gun at your temple?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

Would you let things 'slip away' while someone pointed a gun at your temple?

We poured trillions of dollars into that country, trained their military, armed them to the teeth and showed them what life could be like if they desired it.  At some point their way of life is up to them.  They could have fought the Taliban tooth and nail but the truth is the majority of them are under educated religious fanatics that are afraid to say no to rule by hard line religious zealots.  That's not on us.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, OverSword said:

That's not on us.

Of course it's not on you.

Unless...you had been able to change the minds of those hard line religious zealots.

And for that you need more than technologically advanced weapons, or western trained psychologists.

• Like 4

For twenty years, NATO allies tried smashing a round peg into a square hole. It didn't work!
The Taliban were met by raucous crowds welcoming them in to Khost, Jalalabad and other cities.

If the West wishes to inflict its will on the Afghan people, they better have the stones to commit genocide.

2 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

For twenty years, NATO allies tried smashing a round peg into a square hole. It didn't work!
The Taliban were met by raucous crowds welcoming them in to Khost, Jalalabad and other cities.

Hi Earl

Hmm, gee,...let me think for a second, oh yeah, do you think not looking enthusiastic is a healthy approach then so why not tattoo the stars and stripes on your forehead as well or yell boo when they march in and not showing up might look bad to your neighbors

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Earl

Hmm, gee,...let me think for a second, oh yeah, do you think not looking enthusiastic is a healthy approach then so why not tattoo the stars and stripes on your forehead as well or yell boo when they march in and not showing up might look bad to your neighbors

That's a point.   From what I have read of defectors, North Korea is like that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

Taliban is a horrible tribe :( there is a report they beheaded children :(

https://nypost.com/2021/09/15/ex-us-officer-claims-taliban-beheaded-two-children-in-afghanistan/

Hi Docyabut

This is horrible as well

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/06/20/19-children-are-shot-every-day-in-the-united-states/

The study, conducted by statisticians at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the University of Texas, found that roughly 7,100 children under the age of 18 were shot each year from 2012 to 2014. An average of 1,300 died of their injuries in a typical year.

That works out to 19 children shot every single day in the course of a year — or 3.5 children killed by guns every single day.

https://www.childrensdefense.org/state-of-americas-children/soac-2021-gun-violence/

Even before COVID-19, another epidemic was killing our children at higher rates: gun violence. Gun violence was the leading cause of death for all children and teens ages 1-19 in 2018, surpassing motor vehicle accidents for the first time in history.1 Children and teens are far more likely to die from gunfire than COVID-19,2 yet our leaders continue to allow gun violence to go uncurbed and gun laws to go unchanged.

After years of congressional inaction, a growing number of children are paying with their lives. In 2019, 3,371 American children and teens were killed with guns—enough to fill more than 168 classrooms of 20 (see Table 35).

• Child and teen gun deaths hit a 19-year high in 2017 and have remained elevated since.3
  • In 2019, nine children and teens were killed with guns each day in America—one every 2 hours and 36 minutes.4
  • Guns killed more children and teens than cancer, pneumonia, influenza, asthma, HIV/AIDs, and opioids combined.5
  • While mass shootings grabbed fleeting public and policymaker attention, routine gunfire took the lives of more children and teens every week than the Parkland, Sandy Hook, and Columbine massacres combined.
  • Since 1963, nearly 193,000 children and teens have been killed with guns on American soil—more than four times the number of U.S. soldiers killed in action in the Vietnam, Persian Gulf, Afghanistan, and Iraq wars combined.6

Shamefully, gun deaths reflect only part of the devastating toll of America’s growing gun violence epidemic. Many more children and teens are injured than killed with guns each day in our nation.

• For every child or teen fatally shot, another 5 suffered non-fatal gunshot wounds.7
  • An estimated 16,644 children and teens were injured with guns in 2018—one every 32 minutes.8

Gun violence affects all children, but children of color, boys, and older youth are at greatest risk.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Jay, what you posted is truelly bad. But I consider what Docy posted a different kind of bad.

The word "evil" comes to mind.

• Like 3

On 9/16/2021 at 2:28 AM, Tatetopa said:

That's a point.   From what I have read of defectors, North Korea is like that.

I'm glad you could figure out what he said because I surer than heck can't