Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gabby Petito missing on road trip.

Razman

23 hours ago, razman said:

Ironic that they call these things a " wake " in the first place.

Here's some info on the practice.  It began as a tradition of actually watching the body to be sure the person was really dead and that they wouldn't "wake" up.  I guess superstitions about premature burial played a part in the custom.

http://www.deathreference.com/Vi-Z/Wake.html

Everywhere the underlying intention of the wake is to honor the dead person. The Irish antiquarian Sean O'Suilleabhain believes that the intention was originally to avert the person's rage at having died: "It was an attempt to heal the wound of death and to do final justice to the deceased while he was still physically present. After the burial, the opportunity to do so would be absent" (O'Suilleahbain 1967, p.172). Thus, the practice is held to be an expression of a straightforward fear of dead people and what they are able to do to the living, in accordance with the world-famous anthropologist James Frazer's rationale of ancient funeral customs in his Fear of the Dead in Primitive Religion (1933) and the evolutionary doctrine of C. E. Vulliamy, who associates such ideas with a primitive mentality that most of the human race has now grown out of.

• Like 3

Gabby's parents said today that her body is still at the Teton County Coroner's Office. 

https://www.newsweek.com/gabby-petito-live-updates-gabby-petitos-parents-hold-first-press-conference-since-funeral-1633534

Gabby Petito's body is still being held at the Teton County Coroner's Office despite her funeral taking place Sunday, said Jim Schmidt, her stepfather.

Schmidt said during the family's press conference Tuesday that they wanted to bring her home "as quickly as possible," but they also wanted to make sure that they didn't "impede" the investigation by bringing her home prematurely.

He added that the family knows that the body is safe "as long as she's with them."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2021 at 10:47 PM, susieice said:

Here's a couple of updates. Dog says he found a campsite that could be linked to Laundrie and he believes there is evidence that could link his parents to the site also. A man from Louisiana says he saw a man he believes was Laundrie drinking alone in a bar the day before Gabby was last seen alive. He says the man looked angry. Police are scaling back their search of the Carlton Reserve and will target areas based on evidence. A local rancher says Laundrie could never survive in the Reserve and if he died you'd see all the buzzards swarming.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/27/search-for-brian-laundrie-live-updates-in-gabby-petito-case/

Unless he got eaten by alligators I guess. 

• Like 3

The publicity sparked by the search for Gabby prompted two people to notify authorities over the weekend to where they believed they saw him. The area was called Black Canyon Trail and after 4 hours of searching the area a team with a dog found the remains. It was off-trail on a steep, timbered slope. This, I think, sounds more like a hiking accident. A lot of them happen and it sounds like the man was alone. I'm glad his family now has answers.

https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news/body-found-in-wyoming-believed-to-be-missing-man-authorities-credit-petito-case-for-new-information/

There's another man missing since June 8. More than 140 people reported tips and helicopter searches were conducted but he has still not been found.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/29/gabby-petito-search-uncovers-another-missing-persons-remains/

Edited by susieice
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Like 1

The FBI was back at the Laundrie home today. There were also numerous assist calls made to police to go to the Laundrie home the day before she was reported missing and the day she was reported. They were made by Gabby's father. There were several more before Laundrie's parents told police he was missing. The new timeline is in the article.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/29/us/gabby-petito-brian-laundrie-update-wednesday/index.html

Two FBI agents arrived to the home in a black SUV and brought a large brown paper bag inside. They did not depart with the same bag. One agent also briefly climbed into a camper van parked on the property.
Steven Bertolino, the Laundrie family attorney, told CNN the FBI was there to collect items which could assist them in the search for Brian.
"The FBI is at the Laundrie home today to collect some personal items belonging to Brian that will assist the canines in their search for Brian," he said. "There is nothing more to this."

Police records obtained by CNN show authorities responded to multiple calls for service at Laundrie's Florida home around the time Petito was reported missing by her family in New York. Those records show two calls for service were made at the home September 10 -- the day before Petito was reported missing -- and three more calls on the day of the missing persons report.
Those calls were were placed by Petito's father, who was attempting to report her missing, North Port police spokesperson Josh Taylor said. Six additional calls for service to the Laundrie home were made between September 15 and 17, records show. Brian Laundrie's parents told police September 17 they had last seen him three days earlier.
All of the calls were made to a non-emergency number and not 911. Bertolino, the Laundrie family attorney, declined to comment.
The sequence of events since he returned to Florida without her on September 1 has also been clarified further in recent days. Prior to his disappearance -- before Petito was reported as missing -- Laundrie went camping with his family at a campground dozens of miles from their home between September 6 and 8, officials said.
In addition, on September 4, Laundrie purchased a cell phone at an AT&T store in North Port, Bertolino told CNN. The attorney said the phone was not a "burner phone" and that it required the opening of an account, adding Laundrie left that phone at home "the day he went for a hike in the preserve on September 14, 2021 and the FBI now has that phone." It is unclear what happened to Laundrie's previous phone.
AT&T referred questions about the purchase to law enforcement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is what one pathologist's opinion is on what Gabby's autopsy may have shown.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/3769307/gabby-petito-autopsy-attack-brian-laundrie-search-latest/

Jennifer Shen, retired San Diego Police Department Crime Laboratory Director, has given her opinion on why her full autopsy results are yet to be released.

In an exclusive interview with The Sun, she said: "The death was referred to as a homicide very quickly after her body was found. 

"This generally indicates the cause of death was pretty apparent to those that found her. 

"I would assume there was visible trauma consistent with some kind of attack (i.e. gunshot wounds, knife wounds, obvious signs of strangulation etc.). 

"The official cause of death and the autopsy report will likely take weeks to release. 

"There are many in-depth toxicological tests that are completed to be thorough and to provide any and all information her body has to offer."

• Like 4

On 9/29/2021 at 7:11 PM, razman said:

Its like body central out there. :o

Seriously depressed, suicidal people tend to want to go off alone in many cases.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, and then said:

Seriously depressed, suicidal people tend to want to go off alone in many cases.  

Yea , could be , hopefully they will release some more info , so we can get a better picture.(no pun intended).

Edited by razman
  • Like 3

Laundrie's sister is being accused of lying in the interview she gave to Good Morning America. She saw her brother on September 6 during the family's camping trip and spoke to him on September 1 when he returned home without Gabby. New just released body cam footage from Moab, Utah police shows Gabby telling the officer that Laundrie hit her. He grabbed her face. Dog has some ex Navy Seals and Marines helping him in his search for Laundrie.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/brian-laundrie-update-gabby-petito-latest-b1930437.html

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/01/us/gabby-petito-brian-laundrie-update-friday/index.html

https://www.foxnews.com/live-news/gabby-petito-brian-laundrie-grabbed-face-new-bodycam-footage

• Like 3

I think Dog can`t find him in the woods, he has to come out to get more food. I think he living with a friend or a relative.  also think going  into the woods  was all planned out  by his parents. why did the  parents get a camper and go camping after he was home ?

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, susieice said:

Laundrie's sister is being accused of lying in the interview she gave to Good Morning America. She saw her brother on September 6 during the family's camping trip and spoke to him on September 1 when he returned home without Gabby. New just released body cam footage from Moab, Utah police shows Gabby telling the officer that Laundrie hit her. He grabbed her face. Dog has some ex Navy Seals and Marines helping him in his search for Laundrie.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/brian-laundrie-update-gabby-petito-latest-b1930437.html

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/01/us/gabby-petito-brian-laundrie-update-friday/index.html

https://www.foxnews.com/live-news/gabby-petito-brian-laundrie-grabbed-face-new-bodycam-footage

So they hid bodycam footage that sayin old brian boy hit her?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I don't think he's in the swamp area or anywhere where they're looking for him. I think someone is helping hide him in a nice cushy basement where he's watching all the news , probably laughing at Dog " closing in on him". JMO

• Like 2

5 hours ago, razman said:

So they hid bodycam footage that sayin old brian boy hit her?

I don't think they hid it. It takes time to watch all the footage from all the officers on the scene and there were quite a few of them.  They didn't know for a while that things would turn out this way and how important those cams would be. This was from another body cam than the one previously released. They reviewed it and released it. It had new information on it.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 4

I tend to believe whoever said that Brian couldn't have lasted 2 weeks out in that swamp. But if he had help, maybe. 

I didn't watch the other bodycam footage, but even in the first one, it was apparent that she was extremely upset and hurt and just had this fear of him hurting her worse. 

My son was in law enforcement for a long time, I have heard him say that being called out for a domestic disturbance is at the very top of the list of most dreaded dispatches. He said usually one or both parties are angry and ready to do tremendous harm to whoever gets in the way. He's been on a few where he ended up getting hit himself and had to arrest somebody. And it's not always the female who is the victim... sometimes it's the male. This is not to say that I agree with how the cops in this case handled things.... I don't. I  think they are probably wishing they  had done things a little differently. And maybe Gabby would still be alive. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, razman said:

Appears another guy ( hiker ) . says he saw Brian at the Appalachian trails near the Tennessee border. He seems pretty sure from what he says. At least i think this is a new sighting. Hiker claims he saw Brian Laundrie near Appalachian Trail (msn.com)

Hi Razman

Too bad he didn't think to get the license plate

• Like 1

1 hour ago, razman said:

Appears another guy ( hiker ) . says he saw Brian at the Appalachian trails near the Tennessee border. He seems pretty sure from what he says. At least i think this is a new sighting. Hiker claims he saw Brian Laundrie near Appalachian Trail (msn.com)

It sounds like quite a few reported sightings are coming from N Carolina.

• Like 1

That is , if it was him. I mean , imagining it was , then we'd be seeing that not only is he not in the florida park , but also has this truck , so it would almost look like someone was helping him. But maybe it wasn't him then again , or truck could be stolen.

• Like 2