Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gabby Petito missing on road trip.

Razman

4 hours ago, Katniss said:

He must of had psychological issues. Why would he worry with making such descriptive false statements about her death, if he knew he was going to commit suicide? It's really bizarre.

I really think he was trying to justify everything to himself and hoped everyone would accept what he wrote. He went on to write that he hoped the animals getting at his remains would help her parents accept what happened because he loved them. He loved them so much he murdered their daughter. That's messed up! 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, susieice said:

I really think he was trying to justify everything to himself and hoped everyone would accept what he wrote. He went on to write that he hoped the animals getting at his remains would help her parents accept what happened because he loved them. He loved them so much he murdered their daughter. That's messed up! 

It really is. So messed up and so sad.

• Like 2

Both of them had issues and neither one of them were taking their meds. I am not trying to excuse what he did but do think he felt remorse and fear before he died and what spin he put on it is just him.

• Like 4

Hi jmccr8 , yea he was no doubt pretty traumatized , i mean commiting suicide and all. Almost seemed like he was close to losing it if he had went any other way than isolating and killing himself.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, razman said:

Hi jmccr8 , yea he was no doubt pretty traumatized , i mean commiting suicide and all. Almost seemed like he was close to losing it if he had went any other way than isolating and killing himself.

Hi Razman

In part to me it seems because his sister was kept out of the loop was that he and his parents knew he was going to put an end to it and maybe save his family as well as Gabby's from court media. Can't say his reasoning was wrong or not and in the end he accepted responsibility for his actions passed judgment on himself so it is a done deal now.

• Like 2

I don't doubt he had remorse for what he had done. It's the way he words things. He makes it sound like she asked him to kill her. He says she had serious injuries because of a fall, which makes me suspicious as to where these injuries may have really come from. Like Ouija Ouija said, he didn't go looking to get her help. Then he goes on to say how he hopes the animals getting to him helps Gabby's parents feel better because he loves them. This had to be terribly hard for her family to read. Gabby asked him to kill her? And he hopes his death makes her parents feel better, like it's their fault?

I wish everything on all 8 of the pages was reported on. I can't find a site where they can be read.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, susieice said:

I don't doubt he had remorse for what he had done. It's the way he words things. He makes it sound like she asked him to kill her. He says she had serious injuries because of a fall, which makes me suspicious as to where these injuries may have really come from. Like Ouija Ouija said, he didn't go looking to get her help. Then he goes on to say how he hopes the animals getting to him helps Gabby's parents feel better because he loves them. This had to be terribly hard for her family to read. Gabby asked him to kill her? And he hopes his death makes her parents feel better, like it's their fault?

I wish everything on all 8 of the pages was reported on. I can't find a site where they can be read.

Hi Susieice

More than likely they lost it on each other with neither taking their meds living in cramped quarters for several months didn't help and I doubt that he went back on his meds after she died. His notebook ramblings are just that who knows what state he was in as he was high profile and everyone knew what he looked like so paranoia is likely an aspect as well. We don't know if he also took other non-prescription drugs with him so for me all that was required was a confession

• Like 1

6 hours ago, susieice said:

I think the scumbag wanted it known that he felt some remorse but also wanted to share the blame for his awful deed.   I hope he burns in hell.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

4 hours ago, susieice said:

It probably won't go anywhere unless the jury is sympathetic irrespective of the law.

In the report, police said it was very likely that Petito "was a long-term victim of domestic violence, whether that be physically, mentally, and/or emotionally.

The police did speak to her alone one-on-one and ask her if she needed help and all the question they were supposed to.

But if the girl refuses help then the police can't do anything. Like they can't just remove an unwilling adult from a relationship unless their is immediate danger. And the murder didn't happen tell a month later.

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Big Lawsuit against the police involved in the domestic violence stop.

Apparently, one of the officers involved in the stop, is a known domestic abuser, adding to the potential negligence, in this case.

This is a huge turn in this story, and is clearly a reasonable case to bring, especially given the new information about one of these officers.

• Like 2

Officer Pratt had resigned from another Dept before being hired by Moab. They should have known his history. This link also shows a video of Gabby and Brian at a Whole Foods grocery store that they think was the day she was killed. It also shows pages of the notebook Brian left behind saying about Gabby being injured and in pain. She doesn't look it to me.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/petito-family-new-evidence-shows-utah-officer-at-domestic-violence-call-was-abuser-himself

According to Fox News, a Utah woman claimed she received death threats from Pratt, who resigned as police chief from another department before becoming a patrol officer for Moab City PD.  

Stewart said in the statement, "Moab City Police Department knew or should have known that Officer Pratt, who has a history of pervasive professional and sexual misconduct, including sexual harassment and intimate partner violence, was manifestly unfit and unsafe to be a police officer."

The legal team representing Petito’s family also said Officer Pratt admitted he knew Gabby was in trouble while at the scene of the domestic violence call. 

Pratt stated at the scene, "You know why the domestic assault code is there. It’s there to protect people. The reason they don’t give us discretion on these things is because too many times women who are at risk want to go back to their abuser, they just wanted him to stop, and they don’t want to be separated, they don’t want him charged, they don’t want him to go to jail. And then they end up getting worse and worse treatment, and then they end up getting killed."

Despite his acknowledgment of the danger she was in, attorneys say Pratt intentionally chose not to follow the law.

The Moab City Police Department released a statement to FOX 13 Salt Lake City, saying "The attorneys for the Petito family seem to suggest that somehow our officers could see into the future based on this single interaction… In truth, on Aug. 12, no one could have predicted the tragedy that would occur weeks later and hundreds of miles away, and the City of Moab will ardently defend against this lawsuit."

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

This is so shocking. Shame on Moab City Police Dept. trying to wriggle out of the accusations. Pratt should never have been a police officer.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

This is so shocking. Shame on Moab City Police Dept. trying to wriggle out of the accusations. Pratt should never have been a police officer.

No he shouldn't have, whether they could have guessed what would happen or not. I'm sure they did a background check and knew he had previous problems.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if they'll actually receive that amount though. Have the Laundrys got that sort of money?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

I wonder if they'll actually receive that amount though. Have the Laundrys got that sort of money?

I know it was reported that the Laundrys have money. In the millions. There's a lawsuit against them too.  There was some money in Brian's bank account. Somewhere around $40 thousand iirc. 

Edited by susieice
  • Thanks 1

You're right acute. I'm sorry :tu:

• Like 1

So wait, did i read that correctly, his parents are/were sued for the 3 million over the actions of their (now dead) son? 

1 hour ago, Bavarian Raven said:

So wait, did i read that correctly, his parents are/were sued for the 3 million over the actions of their (now dead) son? 

I misunderstood this too. His parents just lost a wrongful death lawsuit for $3 million that was filed by the Petitos. I thought it was against Brian. 

https://nypost.com/2022/11/17/gabby-petitos-family-win-3m-in-lawsuit-against-brian-laundries-parents/

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 5:21 PM, susieice said:

I misunderstood this too. His parents just lost a wrongful death lawsuit for $3 million that was filed by the Petitos. I thought it was against Brian. 

https://nypost.com/2022/11/17/gabby-petitos-family-win-3m-in-lawsuit-against-brian-laundries-parents/

In a way this makes sense if he did write a confession i suppose.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The FBI has a letter in their possession that was written by Roberta Laundrie, Bryan's mom, to him that talks about a shovel and helping to bury a body. How much did they know?

The Petito's family lawyer believes she offered Bryan a shovel and help disposing of the body. It's been filed in the lawsuit the Petitos have filed against the Laundries.

Edited by susieice
  • Thanks 2

On 1/19/2023 at 1:16 PM, susieice said:

The FBI has a letter in their possession that was written by Roberta Laundrie, Bryan's mom, to him that talks about a shovel and helping to bury a body. How much did they know?

The Petito's family lawyer believes she offered Bryan a shovel and help disposing of the body. It's been filed in the lawsuit the Petitos have filed against the Laundries.

If this is true , it could be a big deal , I mean that would be some kind of aiding and abetting , i would think.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, razman said:

If this is true , it could be a big deal , I mean that would be some kind of aiding and abetting , i would think.

It sure would be. Gabby's parents have introduced it into their lawsuit against the Laundries. 

• Like 4