Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Flat-Earth believers number is rising

jethrofloyd

Question

There's another term for FE believers... "mostly trolls". :D 

But as a side comment, amongst the thousands of ways you can 'prove' the earth is round is this rather fancy one - I'd love to see a couple of FE'ers take on this fairly simple challenge and explain the results...

Requirements:
One FE believer living in the Northern hemisphere, mid latitude.  One FE believer living in the Southern hemisphere, mid latitude.  Both must have reasonably good telephoto cameras (eg HD video camcorders), and have an internet connection.

Process
Using a forum (or FB or whatever), message each other until you both have a clear night and good view of the Moon.  It should be at least half full for best results.  Set up the cameras, and at the same time, video the horizon for reference, and then pan up to the Moon.  Zoom right in - you'll need to be able to see the surface patterns (may need to adjust the exposure setting - the Moon is as bright as daylight..).

As an example of what will happen, here's a shot of MY moon, taken from my location at about 25 degrees south of the equator..
gallery_95887_37_23987.jpg
So what....?  Well, here's an example of a moon shot taken by someone in the northern hemisphere (from the Moon wiki):
moon.jpg.cf2bb5930e4919608954f5c12231187f.jpg
Look carefully. Notice how it is quite significantly rotated?  It is rotated by the exact number of degrees difference in latitudes...  As it has to be for two people standing at obviously different angles on the surface of our round planet.  If the earth was flat, EVERY picture of the moon would be the same angle, as every one would be standing vertically on a flat plane...  

Please explain, genuine flat earthers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I don't believe the numbers are rising, I think someone made that up.

I hope, for the future of mankind, that you are right.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

Just come across an article about rising numbers of Flat-Earth supporters. Why are numbers of the flat-earhers rising?

My opinion is that it is due to lack of education in critical thinking, science and math.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

21 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

My opinion is that it is due to lack of education in critical thinking, science and math.  

+1 from me

• Like 2

On 9/20/2021 at 7:37 PM, Desertrat56 said:

It is so weird.  My friend came for a visit Saturday and she asked if I had ever met a flat earther.  I have not, I am suspecting they are not real, but we discussed them and both concluded that anyone who has that belief is like a religious person who will not admit evidence that they are misquoting the bible even when you show them the actual words.

That fella in a rocket killed himself trying to prove it. I think he discounted all evidence unless he could see it with his own eyes:'Mad' Mike Hughes dies after crash-landing homemade rocket - BBC News

Edited by The Silver Shroud
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Grey Area said:

There is a very simple way to prove a round earth that requires nothing but eyes.

At sunset on a reasonably clear day go outside and observe the sky.  If the conditions are right you will see high altitude clouds lit up by sun the while at the same time low altitude ones will be in shadow, demonstrating the sun moving beyond the curved horizon.  The same can work if you go to an airport at sundown, you can actually watch an aircraft as it gains altitude pass beyond the terminator and go from being in shadow to sunlight.

That works if you live in a place that has clouds all the time.  In the desert you need a different example.   

3 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Not to mention education also has to be part of the conspiracy.

My own dad had to be in on it. Back when he was in the navy he sailed supplies to a British research station in Antartica.....or so he says. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GlitterRose said:

I thought with the world of information at everyone's fingertips...people would get smarter.

Lol.

too much misinformation to sift through and not enough education or training in critical thinking.

How can we answer the question if we haven't read the article you refer to?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Like the way the Jahbloovie Witnesses and ICOC do. ^_^

• Haha 6

Those people are idiots. Everyone knows the Earth is square.

• Like 3

It is so weird.  My friend came for a visit Saturday and she asked if I had ever met a flat earther.  I have not, I am suspecting they are not real, but we discussed them and both concluded that anyone who has that belief is like a religious person who will not admit evidence that they are misquoting the bible even when you show them the actual words.

• Like 2

I think most of them are just doing it for attention, money or have something wrong with them. I've seen enough videos to convince me.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

I think most of them are just doing it for attention, money or have something wrong with them. I've seen enough videos to convince me.

I actually think that their groups of Individuals who follow alternative historical beliefs in a cult like manner. There is no logical reason in this day and age to make such claims use you are brainwashed. It's like the indivuals that claim the Moon Missions were fake and filmed in Hollywood, the people who push these Conspiracy Theories are not playing with a full deck. Because a couple of recent NASA Probe missions recently circled the Moon and photographed the landing sites and the equipment left behind and even the rover tracks are clearly visible. 

In my opinion the people who perpetuate these Conspiracy Theories should have caught the Comet the that the Heaven Gate Cult caught!:lol:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I actually think that their groups of Individuals who follow alternative historical beliefs in a cult like manner. There is no logical reason in this day and age to make such claims use you are brainwashed. It's like the indivuals that claim the Moon Missions were fake and filmed in Hollywood, the people who push these Conspiracy Theories are not playing with a full deck. Because a couple of recent NASA Probe missions recently circled the Moon and photographed the landing sites and the equipment left behind and even the rover tracks are clearly visible. 

In my opinion the people who perpetuate these Conspiracy Theories should have caught the Comet the that the Heaven Gate Cult caught!:lol:

Have you noticed that with most of these conspiracy theory they call have something in common? They're all anti-government. Thats where it usually falls to. "Oh the government are just trying to control us".

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Have you noticed that with most of these conspiracy theory they call have something in common? They're all anti-government. Thats where it usually falls to. "Oh the government are just trying to control us".

I know what you mean man, thanks god we don't have any of those types here on this forum!:lol:

5 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

I can actually prove that it could not possible be true, because this would have happened a long time ago!:w00t::lol:

1A5172E4-BE31-4388-A147-BBA21E6CDBD3-5030-00000471CE08CBBA.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I can actually prove that it could not possible be true, because this would have happened a long time ago!:w00t::lol:

1A5172E4-BE31-4388-A147-BBA21E6CDBD3-5030-00000471CE08CBBA.jpg

But then...

image.jpeg.ccb8d4511686cf2c50256999ebfc1b12.jpeg

Dunno looks pretty convincing to me.:whistle:

Edited by ThereWeAreThen
Welsh education system
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Having watched their annual conference on YouTube and interviews on chat shows I personally think most of them are doing it as a form of trolling which brings them a lot of entertainment. And the more someone engages with the idiot the more they feed off it.

I haven`t seen one with unusual thought provoking arguments, which is why I watched it looking for some. No new thinking, no super geniuses which could throw physics up in the air. I was kind of disappointed, although the idiocy of some of the arguments was funny to watch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1