Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Yang to Launch Third Party

OverSword

Former Democratic presidential and New York City mayoral candidate Andrew Yang is planning on launching a third party, two people familiar with the situation told Politico. 

Neither the name of the third party nor its plans to impact future elections have been revealed, but it is set to start when Yang’s book is released on Oct. 5, the sources told Politico.

His book, called "Forward: Notes on the Future of Our Democracy,” is promoted to be about moving past the country’s “era of institutional failure,” according to its publisher.

Link

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Well I hope he is smart enough to get that party on the ballot in all 50 states.  That is the problem with all the other "third" parties except the Libertarian party.   It took them several years to get all the ducks in a row for each state's requirements, which includes a certain number of people registering for that party.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well I hope he is smart enough to get that party on the ballot in all 50 states.  That is the problem with all the other "third" parties except the Libertarian party.   It took them several years to get all the ducks in a row for each state's requirements, which includes a certain number of people registering for that party.

I think the issue/problem with starting a new party is that the focus is on a presidential run.  I think the smart strategy would be to build a third party from the ground up by getting candidates in place in city and state governments and in the senate and congress rather than focus on the big chair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I think the issue/problem with starting a new party is that the focus is on a presidential run.  I think the smart strategy would be to build a third party from the ground up by getting candidates in place in city and state governments and in the senate and congress rather than focus on the big chair.

Insightful. People at the local level care about local situations and they have the biggest stake in forcing the government serve its constituents.   I think it is seldom that with  the way we currently fund elections people achieve national office without big money backers 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Insightful. People at the local level care about local situations and they have the biggest stake in forcing the government serve its constituents.   I think it is seldom that with  the way we currently fund elections people achieve national office without big money backers 

Hopefully there will be more and more people that won't give their vote to a democrat or a republican.  I won't.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Hopefully there will be more and more people that won't give their vote to a democrat or a republican.  I won't.

That would be the best possible thing to come out of this.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Yes, that is how the Libertarians did it.  It took a few decades for them to get to the point that they could run a presidential candidate.   Some states they were big for decades and some states they were new in 2012.    Texas was the first place I lived where they had a large presence in all elections.

I just hope that the people who say they will vote this way mean it, instead of, inevitably, at the last minute voting for one of the big box parties and chastising anyone who didn't. not saying people here do that, it just becomes a common attitude 

1 minute ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

I just hope that the people who say they will vote this way mean it, instead of, inevitably, at the last minute voting for one of the big box parties and chastising anyone who didn't. not saying people here do that, it just becomes a common attitude 

I haven't voted for a "big box party" in more than 2 decades.   Most people I know chastise me every election, then spend years complaining about who got elected.

• Like 1

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

I haven't voted for a "big box party" in more than 2 decades.   Most people I know chastise me every election, then spend years complaining about who got elected.

I know, I just wish there were more like you. and yes, either complaining or suddenly 'their' candidate can't do any wrong. I find it funny that people will defend people to the death candidates who don't know them, don't want to know them and probably wouldn't even acknowledge them unless something was in it for them, which you ALWAYS get with the two party system 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

I know, I just wish there were more like you. and yes, either complaining or suddenly 'their' candidate can't do any wrong. I find it funny that people will defend people to the death candidates who don't know them, don't want to know them and probably wouldn't even acknowledge them unless something was in it for them, which you ALWAYS get with the two party system 

I know there are others like me.  Years ago when I worked for a big software company I overheard a young man explaining to someone how he voted, and it was exactly how I vote.    I went to his cube to support him, let the other person know that it was how I voted too.   He said, "I vote for the third choice if there is one and if not, I vote against the incumbent."

3 hours ago, aztek said:

we have over 50 third parties in usa, none ever won election, none can win elections, realistically, what makes him think his will be any different??  

He doesn't think it'll be any different.  He's selling a book.  Yang's a capitalist just like you and I and everybody else no matter how difficult it is for them to admit it publically. 

• Like 1

Libertarian Party is the best opposition to the two party system right now. The Ron Paul Libertarians . We all have so much more in common with both parties than any other party.