Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sir Clive Sinclair: Computing pioneer dies aged 81

LV-426

"Inventor Sir Clive Sinclair, who popularised the home computer and invented the pocket calculator, has died at his London home aged 81.

His daughter Belinda Sinclair said he passed away on Thursday morning after having cancer for more than a decade.

Sir Clive's products included the ZX series of computers and his ill-fated C5 electric vehicle.

He was still working on his inventions last week "because that was what he loved doing", said Ms Sinclair."

A sad day for us eighties kids :cry:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

"Inventor Sir Clive Sinclair, who popularised the home computer and invented the pocket calculator, has died at his London home aged 81.

His daughter Belinda Sinclair said he passed away on Thursday morning after having cancer for more than a decade.

Sir Clive's products included the ZX series of computers and his ill-fated C5 electric vehicle.

He was still working on his inventions last week "because that was what he loved doing", said Ms Sinclair."

A sad day for us eighties kids :cry:

My he rest in peace, he was a great man!:cry:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

RIP,  Clive. :hmm:   We owe him a lot.

Transistor radios, pocket calculators, hearing aids.....

Edited by acute
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, acute said:

RIP,  Clive. :hmm:   We owe him a lot.

Transistor radios, pocket calculators, hearing aids.....

And that good old rubber-keyed box of delights... :wub:

sinclair_zx-spectrum_3-4_hr.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Sad news :(

The ZX Spectrum was the first computer I ever had - if you were an 80s kid in the UK, Dizzy and Jet Set Willy were the bee's knees. ^_^

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Saru said:

The ZX Spectrum was the first computer I ever had - if you were an 80s kid in the UK, Dizzy and Jet Set Willy were the bee's knees. ^_^

Same here.

I had Jet Set Willy as the YouTube link until I saw Alien 8, and remembered just how innovative those 3D graphics were at the time :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/17/2021 at 5:29 PM, Saru said:

In the former USSR just as well! If a kid had a computer in the early 90's it had to be a ZX Spectrum 48K clone. There were some inferior substitutes, such as the versions of the home-brew Radio 86RK or BK0010, but those once bought were quickly put onto the shelf as those were just uninteresting to play with, while ZX Spectrum was a whole bedazzling world inside a small box.

• Like 2