Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient genomics reveals tripartite origins of Japanese populations

Eldorado

Prehistoric Japan underwent rapid transformations in the past 3000 years, first from foraging to wet rice farming and then to state formation. A long-standing hypothesis posits that mainland Japanese populations derive dual ancestry from indigenous Jomon hunter-gatherer-fishers and succeeding Yayoi farmers. However, the genomic impact of agricultural migration and subsequent sociocultural changes remains unclear. We report 12 ancient Japanese genomes from pre- and postfarming periods.

Our analysis finds that the Jomon maintained a small effective population size of ~1000 over several millennia, with a deep divergence from continental populations dated to 20,000 to 15,000 years ago, a period that saw the insularization of Japan through rising sea levels. Rice cultivation was introduced by people with Northeast Asian ancestry.

Unexpectedly, we identify a later influx of East Asian ancestry during the imperial Kofun period. These three ancestral components continue to characterize present-day populations, supporting a tripartite model of Japanese genomic origins.

Science Advances

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Unexpectedly, we identify a later influx of East Asian ancestry during the imperial Kofun period. These three ancestral components continue to characterize present-day populations, supporting a tripartite model of Japanese genomic origins.

From the Korean Peninsula, a connection they tried to erase for nearly a century. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

In a Tokyo museum, I saw some artifacts that  if I remember correctly were Jomon.  Among everything else, there were some bead-like objects that were about the size and shape of a cashew nut.   I suggested to my guide they looked a bit like  animal claws and wondered if that was the inspiration for the shape.  I was immediately told emphatically no.  At the time I wondered why that would be so out of line for a hunting people, but let it drop.  

I can accept being wrong, but the idea seemed to really put the museum, guide off and I wondered why.  Did I step over a cultural line and become rude?

• Like 1