Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Christmas dinners ‘could be cancelled’ thanks to CO2 shortage

Eldorado

Christmas dinners could be “cancelled” due to the shortage of carbon dioxide gas (CO2), the owner of the UK’s biggest poultry supplier has said.

A sharp rise in gas prices has meant two large fertiliser plants in Teesside and Cheshire – which produce CO2 as a by-product – have shut, cutting supply to the food industry.

Ranjit Singh Boparan, the owner of Bernard Matthews and 2 Sisters Food Group, says this, combined with a shortage of workers, will affect the supply of Turkeys for Christmas.

Grampian Online

At least four of the smaller UK energy companies are expected to go bust next week amid soaring wholesale gas prices.

Industry sources have told the BBC that four firms have asked larger players to bid to take over the supply to one million customers.

The price rise has left some companies unable to provide their customers with the energy they have paid for.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58610561

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Guest Br Cornelius
1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Maybe it is a question of having a Christmas Dinner without a turkey.   The holiday is there for more reasons than consuming a supply of factory farm turkeys. 

There are predicted shortages of more of the essentials of a xmas dinner, and also there are likely to be shortages of xmas presents for the kids as there are significant supply chain issues out of China. I have a friend waiting for LiFePo4  batteries out of China who has been knocked back twice at this stage and is two months behind schedule as a consequence.

Rising inflation across all product categories are destined to make it a bleak season in the UK.

As for celebrating the birth of the babie Jesus, the British mostly gave up on that decades ago.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius

1 hour ago, Br Cornelius said:

Rising inflation across all product categories are destined to make it a bleak season in the UK.

As for celebrating the birth of the babie Jesus, the British mostly gave up on that decades ago.

Yes to both.  But we were celebrating Yule before the Romans brought us rumors of baby Jesus; whose birth fits conveniently in the pagan calendar. . Weather  was cold, farmers and herders were  in their houses, hunters ventured out occasionally.  But the days were beginning to get longer, Spring would come and before the hard work of survival had to begin again, there was time for family, festivity, and gratitude. 

We might try remembering that until the batteries show up.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I bought some Christmas puddings and brandy sauce going cheap after Xmas last year. 

Not exactly diet friendly but those without turkey cannot be too fussy. :yes:  :santa: :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is good news in my world. 

Turkey.  Is.  Overrated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

This is good news in my world. 

Turkey.  Is.  Overrated.

At our house, we eat the stuffing (dressing to some) and the turkey wings.  The rest we pawn off onto my daughter's boyfriend :D

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, glorybebe said:

At our house, we eat the stuffing (dressing to some) and the turkey wings.  The rest we pawn off onto my daughter's boyfriend :D

You make it sound like an experiment ;)  :w00t:

• Haha 1

due to the shortage of carbon dioxide gas (CO2)

Extinction Rebellion will be pleased.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

due to the shortage of carbon dioxide gas (CO2)

Extinction Rebellion will be pleased.

They are not rebels without a cause, they are rebels without a solution.  They are just negative and a nuisance. 

• Like 1

The boss of a US company that supplies 60% of the UK's food-grade carbon dioxide supply has held crisis talks with the government over shortages.

Tony Will, chief executive of CF Industries, arrived in the UK earlier after the firm stopped production at its two fertiliser plants because of soaring wholesale gas prices.

Food firms are warning a shortage of CO2 is threatening produce supplies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58615784

• Like 1

The news this morning just told us turkeys may be hard to get for Thanksgiving. 

On 9/18/2021 at 3:11 PM, Tatetopa said:

Maybe it is a question of having a Christmas Dinner without a turkey.   The holiday is there for more reasons than consuming a supply of factory farm turkeys. 

It's more of a suggestion to go get a turkey now if you want to have one for the holidays.

We always have ham AND turkey at Christmas. I bought my Thanksgiving turkey months ago - because I saw it and it is huge and very large ones are hard to come by - it's 28 lbs.

Harte

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harte said:

We always have ham AND turkey at Christmas. I bought my Thanksgiving turkey months ago - because I saw it and it is huge and very large ones are hard to come by - it's 28 lbs.

Yeah, I got a big one just after Thanksgiving last year when they were cheap and stuck it in the freezer.

• Like 2

The government is considering offering emergency state-backed loans to energy companies as firms battle to stay afloat amid surging gas prices.

Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng will hold crisis talks with industry bosses including Centrica and E.On on Monday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58620167

Although I know it will not happen in my lifetime, or indeed ever, how would these, ‘Industries’ that use Carbon Dioxide manage in the fictional “Zero Emissions” era?

3 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Although I know it will not happen in my lifetime, or indeed ever, how would these, ‘Industries’ that use Carbon Dioxide manage in the fictional “Zero Emissions” era?

With the way we're heading, humans will have become so remarkably dimwitted by then, that pigs will take over as the higher form of intelligence.

As humans become no more than a tasty treat for porcine festivities, carbon dioxide for slaughter won't be required, as it will be possible to humanely - porcinely? :unsure2: - end a human life with instant shock from the incorrect use of pronouns.

I know... I'm having one of those days... :innocent:

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

With the way we're heading, humans will have become so remarkably dimwitted by then, that pigs will take over as the higher form of intelligence.

As humans become no more than a tasty treat for porcine festivities, carbon dioxide for slaughter won't be required, as it will be possible to humanely - porcinely? :unsure2: - end a human life with instant shock from the incorrect use of pronouns.

I know... I'm having one of those days... :innocent:

Well, you can already lose you career for such a transgression, death by firing squad can only be a matter of time.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dammit.  I'll just have to live on wild venison and whisky :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

Meat and beer just days away from disappearing from UK shops due to gas shortage

MSN

Let them drink wine.

And whisky.

And rum.

And gin.

And tea.

The British Retail Consortium, which represents the major chains, said it expected to see food shortages by the end of the week, while pork suppliers warned of "farmageddon" within 10 days. 

Pig farmers have threatened to slaughter animals on their land for render because of a growing backlog at abattoirs and processing plants due to the CO2 shortage.

Telegraph report at MSN

I think it worth stepping back and considering why we are in the situation where the closure of just two fertilizer plants, owned by one company, is about to bring some supply chains crashing down. We are not robust enough, in more ways than one. If necessary, these two plants should be kept running under direct supervision of the state.