Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Glowing Orange Eyes

Draig Cailleach

Hey, everyone! So, this happened a while ago now, and I think about it a lot, and I'm curious as to what you guys think of it. 

So, I had been sitting across from one of my friends at a restaurant (it was a buffet, and everyone else was still getting food, so my friend I was sitting across from was the only one that saw), and we were chatting while we ate. I had sunglasses on because we were by the window, and my eyes are very sensitive to the sun (I was actually told by my optometrist that I needed to wear sunglasses anytime I went out (I presume just during the day, as my eyes don't bother me at all at night. I had just assumed it was because of my eye sensitivity, so I didn't ask him to elaborate further, though now I wish I had). My friend happened to look up at me, and she looked startled. Naturally I asked "What's wrong?", to which she asked if I had contacts in. I did, but they were just regular contacts (not colored or anything) which I told her, and asked why? Well, apparently, even through my black sunglasses, my eyes were glowing orange. They've never done it before, or since, as far as I know, anyway-if it did, then it happened when no one was around to see it and I wasn't looking in a mirror. 

Anyway, thoughts?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Were you wearing polarized lenses? If the sunlight was hitting them from a certain angle, that might account for the orange glow. I do, however, wonder how your friend could see your eyes through the black lenses.

If someone told me my eyes were glowing orange, the first thing I would do is look into a mirror. Did you?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Draig Cailleach said:

Hey, everyone! So, this happened a while ago now, and I think about it a lot, and I'm curious as to what you guys think of it. 

So, I had been sitting across from one of my friends at a restaurant (it was a buffet, and everyone else was still getting food, so my friend I was sitting across from was the only one that saw), and we were chatting while we ate. I had sunglasses on because we were by the window, and my eyes are very sensitive to the sun (I was actually told by my optometrist that I needed to wear sunglasses anytime I went out (I presume just during the day, as my eyes don't bother me at all at night. I had just assumed it was because of my eye sensitivity, so I didn't ask him to elaborate further, though now I wish I had). My friend happened to look up at me, and she looked startled. Naturally I asked "What's wrong?", to which she asked if I had contacts in. I did, but they were just regular contacts (not colored or anything) which I told her, and asked why? Well, apparently, even through my black sunglasses, my eyes were glowing orange. They've never done it before, or since, as far as I know, anyway-if it did, then it happened when no one was around to see it and I wasn't looking in a mirror. 

Anyway, thoughts?

I have no idea what would cause that at all. But, maybe since your Scottish you have been spending to much time around the House (Boleskine House) that Alester Crowley owned on Lock Ness and you brought something back with you!!:w00t::D

Anyway that's very strange, I think you should contact Papa and have him give you reading with the Papameter!:devil:

@papageorge1

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

@Kittens Are Jerks it didn't last long enough for me to go look in the mirror. They were only like that a few seconds and then they just kind of faded. And no, the sunglasses weren't polarized.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Draig Cailleach said:

@Kittens Are Jerks it didn't last long enough for me to go look in the mirror. They were only like that a few seconds and then they just kind of faded. And no, the sunglasses weren't polarized.

My other thought is that perhaps your friend accidentally looked at the sun then at you.

IMO, whatever happened, happened to your friend, not you. Your eyes did not glow orange, she just thought they did.

You're smart to wear sunglasses, by the way. Everyone should wear them, even on cloudy days.

• Like 2

Perhaps your friend was pulling your leg a wee bit??    Kind of like... "oh you got a booger hanging out of your nose!!"  Everyone has done this at least one in their life to a friend, and to sell it, one has to be serious else its a dead give away.

So lets see weigh options here

1. friend feigning a startled look and claiming your eyes were glowing orange

2. Illusion of light on sunglasses that made it appear your eyes were glowing orange

3. Eyes actually glowing orange, but for only a split second and never to happen again. 

I would like to pick door #____ Johnny!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Overdueleaf said:

Perhaps your friend was pulling your leg a wee bit??    Kind of like... "oh you got a booger hanging out of your nose!!"  Everyone has done this at least one in their life to a friend, and to sell it, one has to be serious else its a dead give away.

That occurred to me as well, but more kind of like..."oh I think you might be a werewolf"....

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

I'm concern if you might not have an over looked thing going on like MS which would require a MRI of the brain. I know jumping to conclusions!

Cool eye shine must have unique eyes! Had a cat that's eyes shined bright yellow to a weird color during the day in the kitchen light. I took pictures of him with them glowing and its not from the camera because could see it before taking the pictures.

• Like 1

I'm rather confused about the claim - what does the cat have to do with it?

In simple terms..

1. Human eyes do not reflect light at night.  Only some animals, mostly nocturnal, have the structure in their eyes that causes it.

2. Friends, esp boyfriends, will say anything to make you smile, and it's a harmless joke/story to simply stick to.  Collect evidence if you want it taken seriously - you got a pic of the cat...?

3. Cat's eyes are very reflective in the green/yellow/orange/red part of the spectrum.  The actual colour emitted will depend on many things including the angle of the eyes relative to the camera, the angle of the light to the eyes, and the color spectrum of the light source.

All in all, I see no mystery here. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

I'm rather confused about the claim - what does the cat have to do with it?

In simple terms..

1. Human eyes do not reflect light at night.  Only some animals, mostly nocturnal, have the structure in their eyes that causes it.

2. Friends, esp boyfriends, will say anything to make you smile, and it's a harmless joke/story to simply stick to.  Collect evidence if you want it taken seriously - you got a pic of the cat...?

3. Cat's eyes are very reflective in the green/yellow/orange/red part of the spectrum.  The actual colour emitted will depend on many things including the angle of the eyes relative to the camera, the angle of the light to the eyes, and the color spectrum of the light source.

All in all, I see no mystery here. 

I didn't claim it was a mystery! I thought it would be cool to show how the cats eyes glowed and it wasn't a reflection it was glowing so I grabbed the camera and took pictures as in more than one.

I wanted the poster to send a picture of said glowing eyes. <3

• Like 3

My concern for the sunlight sensitivity is steamed from my daughter who had the same problem to sunlight. She recently lost vision and just recently was released from the hospital because the steroid treatment was working to help with inflammation but it took a week to get out of Harborview Hospital.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, CryptoGirl said:

My concern for the sunlight sensitivity is steamed from my daughter who had the same problem to sunlight. She recently lost vision and just recently was released from the hospital because the steroid treatment was working to help with inflammation but it took a week to get out of Harborview Hospital.

That’s horrible to hear. I’m glad she’s doing better now, and thank you for your concern (and the cat pictures cause I can never get enough of those). This happened a while ago, and, while I’m still very sensitive to light, nothing that bad has happened, though I do get a lot of pressure build up in my right eye (my “bad eye”) due to allergies. I keep a close watch on it, because there was a time my vision started to blur very badly in that eye because of the pressure. It hadn’t happened before my family and I moved to a new state, so we didn’t know what was going on. There’s a lot more trees and pollen and all that stuff here, so it makes sense. But it’s under control now. 

I happened to be going through my old photos (looking for photos of one of my pups that passed </3), and I came across this photo of me from a few years ago. 

7EB732E9-DFD3-4CF7-82E8-B15F8323E2A9.jpeg

Nice catch!  I think I can explain..  In very low light, cameras often use a couple of techniques to 'cheat'.  First up, they can fire an LED that has a LOT of Infrared (IR) content.  They may also move a filter out of the way inside the camera that allows more IR to reach the sensor, so it becomes a semi-'night-vision' camera...  Human eyes DO reflect IR very well! ... so that explains the bright-eyes...   

• Like 2

On 11/2/2021 at 11:23 PM, Draig Cailleach said:

I happened to be going through my old photos (looking for photos of one of my pups that passed </3), and I came across this photo of me from a few years ago. 

7EB732E9-DFD3-4CF7-82E8-B15F8323E2A9.jpeg

Pretty Cool! Thanks for sharing.

I guess the suns light reflected through the window into your sunglasses. Making you eyes glow.

On 9/18/2021 at 1:52 PM, Draig Cailleach said:

Anyway, thoughts?

My first thought is - what was behind your friend that could have been reflected in your dark glasses?