Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Diver comes face-to-face with giant 7 metre-long anaconda

Still Waters

A couple of divers out in a river in Brazil had a heart-stopping incident when they came face-to-face with a giant anaconda.

Fortunately for us, one of the divers managed to capture the moment on film - check it out:

https://www.facebook.com/uniladmag/videos/565740713964169/

Bartolomeo Bove and his friend Juca Ygarape were diving in the Formoso River in Brazil back in July 2019 when they ended up close with the largest snake in the world - a Green Anaconda. It's a massive 'nope' from me.

In the clip the huge reptile, which was around seven metres (23ft) in length and weighed about 90kg, can be seen lying on the riverbed as the divers get nearer.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/interesting-diver-comes-face-to-face-with-giant-seven-metre-long-anaconda-20210915

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

• The title was changed to Diver comes face-to-face with giant 7 metre-long anaconda

they used to say that snakes won't eat people. we have evidence now that they will when they're large enough and feel comfortable with the prey size, you 

a 23 foot long anaconda would absolutely take you on if you were in the same water and it was hungry. very lucky encounter but could have ended badly 

and if you think that's big, the largest on record is a 33ft reticulated python, although there are many reports of larger. and a retic WILL eat you 

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's my understanding that there are no verified accounts of an anaconda eating a human (even though they would be capable of doing so if they wanted to). I think they're magnificent looking snakes, and, despite their size, one of the few I would be unafraid of.

14 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

It's my understanding that there are no verified accounts of an anaconda eating a human (even though they would be capable of doing so if they wanted to). I think they're magnificent looking snakes, and, despite their size, one of the few I would be unafraid of.

These anacondas are smarter than many think.

I have a healthy respect for these snakes, and would not like to come close to a large one when I was alone.

• Like 3

As Known most recently... 

18 Jun 2018 — Instead of seeking out prey, it lies in wait for its victims to walk by. “An ambush predator like a ...

It's hard to tell with Indonesia, the locals knows more of many that never made the headlines... 

In Malaysia though... 

11 Apr 2016 — A huge python found on a construction site in Malaysia could take the record for the longest snake ever ...

27 Jan 2018 — The victim had been identified as Zaim Khalis Kosnan, 35. The incident, which took place at about 3.30am ...

26 May 2019 — He said the python, measuring about 6m long, was killed by the villagers. "The victim's house is located ...

This one is just about fourth kilometres from my place...

5 Sep 1995 — It had already swallowed the victim's head and crushed some of his bones when discovered. Ahmad said the ...

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Does anyone remember this from years ago?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I would be unafraid of.

that would be a very foolish decision, any herpetologist will tell you that. people make the mistake of assuming large constrictors to be docile. if the snake is large enough hungry enough and you're within the vicinity, that snake may very well try to eat you. and if you're a tribes person in the middle of the rainforest, no one hears about that. and they run into hostile, hungry snakes...and ones I bet a lot bigger than we think 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Abramelin said:

These anacondas are smarter than many think.

I have a healthy respect for these snakes, and would not like to come close to a large one when I was alone.

Just because someone is unafraid, does not mean they are unaware of the potential dangers.

Anacondas are not aggressive, nor do they prey on humans like pythons do. Just the same, their size and strength need to be respected.

Do not threaten or harass them and you will more than likely be fine.

1 hour ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

that would be a very foolish decision, any herpetologist will tell you that. people make the mistake of assuming large constrictors to be docile. if the snake is large enough hungry enough and you're within the vicinity, that snake may very well try to eat you. and if you're a tribes person in the middle of the rainforest, no one hears about that. and they run into hostile, hungry snakes...and ones I bet a lot bigger than we think

Oh for crying out loud, a cat would eat me if hungry enough.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Just because someone is unafraid, does not mean they are unaware of the potential dangers.

Anacondas are not aggressive, nor do they prey on humans like pythons do. Just the same, their size and strength need to be respected.

Do not threaten or harass them and you will more than likely be fine.

Did you read that somewhere?

I lived in Peru for half a year, and also traveled around Iquitos in the north-eastern part of Peru. Some of the people living there told me stories that would freeze the blood in your veins.

Yes, when anacondas are not hunting for food and if you don't bother them, they won't bother you. True.

But when you happen to be in a boat on the river, or swimming when they àre hungry, you better move away.

Fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

Did you read that somewhere?

I lived in Peru for half a year, and also traveled around Iquitos in the north-eastern part of Peru. Some of the people living there told me stories that would freeze the blood in your veins.

Yes, when anacondas are not hunting for food and if you don't bother them, they won't bother you. True.

But when you happen to be in a boat on the river, or swimming when they àre hungry, you better move away.

Fast.

When anacondas hunt for food, they rarely hunt for humans. And if, for some reason, they decided they did want you for supper, you would not be able to move away from them fast enough (unless you were on land). What I know about anacondas I have read, yes. I've also learned a great deal from a friend who's now a marine biologist, but spent three years in South America studying various species of snakes, including anacondas. It is not unusual for locals there to exaggerate, and in many instances of aggressive encounters, the snake was most likely provoked. Anacondas are not the jerks pythons are.

they don't go by, "oh that's a human, I'm not supposed to eat those", but, "that thing has a heat signature and it's smaller than me". yes, there have been attacks, both predatory and defensive, on humans. it's true that some pythons, especially reticulated pythons, have a reputation for being bigger *******s towards humans, but green anacondas are far from predictable. I work with and know personally people that work with these animals, they'll all tell you this. some are 'sweethearts', and so are some pythons, but they are very unpredictable, even in captivity 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

but they are very unpredictable, even in captivity 

Yes true. The yellow anaconda in particular, more so than the green (which is not to suggest the green, or any of the others, are not).

31 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Yes true. The yellow anaconda in particular, more so than the green (which is not to suggest the green, or any of the others, are not).

see, that's interesting as I've heard that yellows are a bit more docile. it just goes to show you how much anecdotes vary. ask one person who deals them and they'll think they're not so bad, ask others and they'll tell you that you REALLY need to watch your ass as they're unpredictable. personally, that's how I treat ANY animal, even though I no longer house reptiles or arachnids. 

this is my Friday night, but when I return Wednesday, I have 5+ herpetologists who's brains I can pick on the general temperament of green anacondas. it will be fresh in their brains as they just had to move out their largest due to the entire aquarium and  reptile conservatory being under renovation. should be done spring of 2022 and should be rather impressive if you or anyone else would like to be my guest here 

25 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

personally, that's how I treat ANY animal,

Exactly. Humans included.

I look forward to to what your herpetologist friends have to say. Not sure where you're located, probably a gazillion miles from where I am, but if ever I'm in your neck of the woods, I would love to see the newly renovated aquarium/conservatory.

The way it was explained to me was that the anaconda in it's environment has few if any natural predators, and they have specialized prey due to a lack of choices when they get to a certain size and age, the python though, is the reverse due to opposite reasons.

12 hours ago, third_eye said:

The way it was explained to me was that the anaconda in it's environment has few if any natural predators, and they have specialized prey due to a lack of choices when they get to a certain size and age, the python though, is the reverse due to opposite reasons.

yes, at that size, you're pretty much relying on crocs or caimans, deer, buffalo, etc because, well...nothing else quite satisfies, does it? 

could you clarify what you mean about the pythons, though, please? 

48 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

could you clarify what you mean about the pythons, though, please? 

Pythons have it tougher in the tropical jungle, until it gets to a certain size, it's just another morsel for the many predators sharing a very tight space. That's what makes it hyper aggressive.

~

7 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Pythons have it tougher in the tropical jungle, until it gets to a certain size, it's just another morsel for the many predators sharing a very tight space. That's what makes it hyper aggressive.

~

ahhh yes. I've seen reticulated pythons get into fights with tigers, etc 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

ahhh yes. I've seen reticulated pythons get into fights with tigers, etc 

Under two feet it's really staple prey for a lot of creatures both on land, water and trees. And it's the number one favorite of the king cobra. 

They have this growth spurt up to just over three feet before it starts expanding in girth and muscles. Tried wrangling one near five foot and learned a very hard lesson. Dang b*****s are strong and they "punch" with the head when they don't bite, naturally because they don't have venom, they only bite to anchor a grip for the death squeeze. 

~

11 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Under two feet it's really staple prey for a lot of creatures both on land, water and trees. And it's the number one favorite of the king cobra. 

They have this growth spurt up to just over three feet before it starts expanding in girth and muscles. Tried wrangling one near five foot and learned a very hard lesson. Dang b*****s are strong and they "punch" with the head when they don't bite, naturally because they don't have venom, they only bite to anchor a grip for the death squeeze. 

~

I know a guy who experienced a predatory response from a retic and very nearly lost his life. he says there's nothing like it, you can hit and beat it as hard as you can but they're completely futile, there's no effect at all, like beating a hanging hog carcass. apparently biting the tail of the thing caused him some relief (seriously) and the snake loosened enough for him to escape. he had three broken ribs, broken clavicle and practically every blood vessel from his chest up was broken 

biting the tail did the trick? I suppose that makes sense. if something bit me on the **** I'd definitely let it go, too

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

biting the tail did the trick?

It the dynamics of the muscles, much like lifting the tail of snakes immobilizes it to some certain extent, but you still have to know what you're doing, what I was taught is a third of the way from the end, too near the middle or end tip and it doesn't work. As ever, it's not fool proof as not all snakes are the same, some are stronger than others so it's not exact science. 

I just leave it to the experienced fellas. 

~

• Thanks 1