Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
UM-Bot

15th-Century Vinland Map turns out to be fake

Bavarian Raven

While Vinland was fairly well known amongst the wealthy / religious / heads of states of Europe, this map was known to be (likely) fake for a long while. 

jaylemurph
4 hours ago, Bavarian Raven said:

While Vinland was fairly well known amongst the wealthy / religious / heads of states of Europe, this map was known to be (likely) fake for a long while. 

What makes you think that?!

—Jaylemurph

• Thanks 1

Bavarian Raven
4 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

What makes you think that?!

—Jaylemurph

Because the term comes up in various medieval documents.

The church knew about "Vinland" from roughly the year 1005 onwards, and titled the Bishops of Greenland: "the bishop of Greenland and lands to the west". The widow of one of the failed settlement attempts in "Vinland" later made a pilgrimage to Rome, and talked to the pope about her experiences in depth.

The throne of Greenland was made (in large part) of Narwhale ivory, which came from the upper Baffin sea area, and that narwhale ivory was worth twice its weight in gold. (Also, fun fact, part of the Danish royal attire preserved from the 1300s contains North

American bison fur - the number of hands that(those) pelts must have been traded through to reach Europe in that area would be one hell of a story).

Several expeditions were launched, both my noblemen and church persons, to Vinland over the centuries. Though (sadly) little knowledge/records remains of the fate of said expeditions.

Finally, sailers chat and talk. Traders that ventured to Greenland and/or from Greenland would certainly talk / chat about the "lands to the west" where they yearly went for lumber and hunting and other raw materials. 

There are other reasons/sources as well, but I cannot remember them atm. Sadly, I do not have access to my books atm. 

Cheers.

Edited by Bavarian Raven
Spelling.