Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lava spews from volcano on Spain's La Palma island

Eldorado

Authorities have evacuated about 5,000 people from villages in the Spanish Canary Island of La Palma as lava spews from an erupting volcano, local officials said.

The lava flow has already swallowed 20 houses in the village of El Paso and sections of roads, Mayor Sergio Rodriguez told TVE radio station on Monday morning.

It is now spreading through the neighbouring village of Los Llanos de Aridane where hundreds of houses are at risk, he said.

55secs Telegraph video:

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

• The title was changed to Lava spews from volcano on Spain's La Palma island

I saw different posts about a mega tsunami that could hit the US east coast. It was thought the volcano could cause a collapse of part of the island. There is no tsunami warnings for the US so the info if false.

https://www.newsweek.com/will-la-palma-volcano-cause-tsunami-mega-tsunami-canary-islands-spain-eruption-warning-1630666

• Like 2

2 hours ago, susieice said:

I saw different posts about a mega tsunami that could hit the US east coast. It was thought the volcano could cause a collapse of part of the island. There is no tsunami warnings for the US so the info if false.

https://www.newsweek.com/will-la-palma-volcano-cause-tsunami-mega-tsunami-canary-islands-spain-eruption-warning-1630666

It's a different volcano.

Doug

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Doug1066 said:

It's a different volcano.

Doug

The erupting volcano is La Palma.  The one where a collapse is possible is Cumbre Vieja.

Doug

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

The erupting volcano is La Palma.  The one where a collapse is possible is Cumbre Vieja.

Doug

La Palma is the island, the volcano is called Cumbre Vieja.

The 2021 La Palma eruption is an ongoing fissure eruption of Cumbre Vieja, one of the most active volcanos in the Canary Islands, Spain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_La_Palma_eruption

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thousands of people have been evacuated from the lava's path. There is a 2 mile exclusion zone at sea for fear that toxic gases may form when the lava reaches the sea. Reports are saying 300 homes have been destroyed but there are no casualty reports as of now.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58636707?xtor=AL-72-[partner]-[bbc.news.twitter]-[headline]-[news]-[bizdev]-[isapi]&at_custom2=twitter&at_custom3=%40BBCWorld&at_custom4=D73B830E-1AC1-11EC-9647-47CC4744363C&at_medium=custom7&at_campaign=64&at_custom1=[post+type]&fbclid=IwAR2WXaNxFDXbTPa8Kid-vY5lwpCYNd4XQu6nKVYe0Vt8A8xgyYy9VRBW3pk

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

La Palma volcano continues to roar as expert urges people to 'stay away from lava'

The Cumbre Vieja volcano continues to roar as rivers of lava flow down the hillsides of La Palma after the volcano erupted on Sunday.

More than 6,000 people have been evacuated to safety as a new volcanic vent blew open, spewing thousands of tonnes of molten rock, volcanic ash and toxic gases into the air.

The small town of Todoque is the latest to be consumed by the lava.

"There are a lot of people who think this is a show, but this is not. There are people here who are losing their homes. I feel lucky because I have not lost mine, which is a bit far from the affected area. But there are people who take this as if it were a joke and what I'm saying is that you have to have a little consideration, too," one of the residents said.

• Like 1

As devestating as volcanos are, and I feel for those affected in La Palma and other eruptions which have/are/will around the world, I find them oddly breathtaking in a beautiful way, would love to see one first hand (from a distance obviously).

But I hope all affected are safe ofcourse.

• Like 1

The lava has reached the sea and toxic fume clouds are in the air. According to our news tonight, people are being told to seal their doors and windows and wear masks. More cracks are opening and lava is pouring out. No injuries or deaths have been reported. I hope everyone stays safe.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/29/world/europe/la-palma-volcano-lava-ocean.html

The local authorities called on residents on Wednesday morning to keep their windows shut because a mix of toxic gases and small particles may be released when molten lava comes into contact with cold water. Scientists have also been warning that the chemical reactions between lava and water could cause powerful underwater explosions.

The lava entering the water should be treated as “a very dangerous moment,” said Ángel Víctor Torres, the regional leader of the Canary Islands, an island grouping off northwestern Africa that includes La Palma.

The eruption began on Sept. 19 in the Cumbre Vieja nature park, a thinly populated area of La Palma, where 85,000 people live. It has forced over 6,000 residents to evacuate, as the lava and fire cut a path of destruction that swept away more than 500 houses. While banana plantations and other areas of farmland have also been wiped out, there have been no reports of deaths or injuries.

Scientists said it remained unclear how long the eruption would last. Over the past 10 days, the volcano has released more than 50 million cubic meters of lava, which is a greater volume than in the three weeks of the previous eruption on La Palma, in 1971.

The lava flow reached the water after making an unpredictable journey toward the ocean, at one stage almost coming to a halt in an area of flatter terrain. Along the way, there were also several small earthquakes, and new vents were carved up from which lava escaped. Last weekend, La Palma’s airport had to shut briefly because ash made it impossible to guarantee visibility for pilots.

On Wednesday, Mr. Torres, the regional leader, told Cope, a Spanish radio station, that since the lava started to spew out, “the whole of the Canary Islands has slept very little, including those on La Palma seized by fear and deep sadness.”

Russian cosmonauts aboard the International Space Station have taken a nighttime photo of the river of lava coming out of the Cumbre Vieja volcano on Spain’s La Palma island, revealing the massive scale of the cataclysm.

The image posted by cosmonaut Oleg Novitskiy on Twitter captured the volcanic ejection cutting the most north-westerly island of the Canary Islands in half and shining brighter than the illumination of the nearby settlement.

https://www.infowars.com/posts/russian-cosmonauts-share-spectacular-space-photo-of-la-palma-volcano-eruption/