Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Mystery woman" in Croatia

Silver

Does she or does she not speak with a non rhotic lisp?

39 minutes ago, Wistman said:

Definitely not an American then.   :P

Nor an Aussie or someone from the UK.  Maybe she is Canadian.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Nor an Aussie or someone from the UK.  Maybe she is Canadian.

Possibly Dutch.  ;) 

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Maybe she is Canadian.

I dunno. Has she apologised for her memory loss?

In all seriousness though, it's amazing that she survived alone in that area for as long as she did, unless someone had been with her for at least part of that time. Hope they find out who is is and how she got there.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

When a Croatian Policeman says someone speaks perfect English, is that a metaphor for remaning quiet? 

Actually, yes :D In Croatia (and neighbouring countries), when someone's acting like they don't know anything about something they certainly must know about, you say "pravi se Englez" (pretending they're English). 

Seriously, when police said she speaks perfect English they meant to say she has no noticeable non-English accent. Which narrows the search to only 400-500 million people.

12 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I dunno. Has she apologised for her memory loss?

In all seriousness though, it's amazing that she survived alone in that area for as long as she did, unless someone had been with her for at least part of that time. Hope they find out who is is and how she got there.

No trace of anyone else was found. While it's possible someone else is still out there too, it's not likely because the area was searched. 

No vehicle, no backpack, nothing else, just her. Again something that's possible but not likely is that she arrived in a vehicle and had a freak accident - like, parked car moved and fell into the sea, leaving her alive and dry and lost.

I'm pretty certain she didn't fell off a boat since she had her hat, she'd definitely lose her hat if there was any swimming involved.

So I guess she got lost and wandered into the very rough terrain area where she was found, but it's impossible to tell if she got disoriented because of amnesia that struck her before or she simply got lost while walking around the island and amnesia is the result of shock of being lost, combined with dehydration. 

The strangest part is that no one reported they're missing a guest or recognized her as their guest. This is a small country and we put effort into keeping our tourists safe and alive, so they can come back next year too. If you rent an apartment you won't just shrug if your tourist disappears, you'll raise an alarm. Same with the big hotels, they'd notice a guest didn't return to their room in days. 

So I'd say she was only for a short visit on Krk, but then again, no one else is missing a guest.

Very strange. 

I so hope she regains her memory.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

I guess the Bermuda Triangle swallowed her. And now, she is back completely lost, at the other end of the globe. :D

Excuse me for nitpicking, but somewhere around New Zealand is at the other end of the globe, if you're looking from Croatia. So, a wormhole around New Zealand. On the other hand, who knows how the wormholes work. It's all Large Hardon... Hadron Collider's fault. Remember that?

Her backpack was found, but offered no answers. 

https://www.index.hr/vijesti/clanak/na-krku-je-prije-9-dana-pronadjena-zena-kako-policija-jos-nista-ne-zna/2305394.aspx

As RTL Potraga finds out , on the shore, in a place quite far from the place where the woman was found, the police found her backpack.

However, the contents of the backpack did not provide investigators with the desired information about her identity. In addition to mosquito spray and some other small items that every tourist would take with them on a trip, a wallet was found in the backpack, but without documents and without money. This is an important detail because it is unusual that there was nothing in the wallet.

• Like 4

So they found a back pack.  The wallet has no money or id. Is it not possible she got robbed, and conked on the head, and hence the amnesia? Hey criminals are at work in countries all over the world, NOT saying that's what happend, but it is a possibility. Or maybe she was on some boat or yacht and fell over board  or was given the old heave ho , and they  stuck her there. I hope she can regain her memory, and  thanks to the people of Croatia who are trying to help her.

• Like 4

The identity of this woman wasn't determined yet, but she is physically healthy and she will be taken care of, for as long as it will be necessary. 

A lot of people contacted Croatian police and it seems certain progress was possibly made. 

https://www.index.hr/vijesti/clanak/javili-se-ceski-turisti-tvrde-da-je-zena-s-krka-slovakinja-i-da-su-se-druzili-s-njom/2305486.aspx

But, contrary to the information that suggested that the found woman could be British, a new one appeared according to which it could be a Slovak woman. As Index unofficially finds out, that is information that the police are seriously checking, but they are also checking several other indications. 

Police are cautious because no disappearance has been reported for the woman.

It's so strange, no matter which theory turns out to be the correct one - if she really isn't British, then her brain can't access her first language. She has minor injuries, but nothing that should cause amnesia. On the other hand, being lost and dehydrated is shocking enough to cause severe disorientation, hopefully temporary. Or she's doing this on purpose, which is a little hard to believe, it's near impossible to keep an act for such a long time. Unless one is really determined to hide their identity, who knows why. 

• Like 3

And she's identified! 

https://www.index.hr/vijesti/clanak/otkriven-identitet-zene-nadjene-na-krku/2305549.aspx

Thank you, everyone who took a look at the photo with intention to help. 

The mystery remains, whether it's medical or personal... I hope it turns out to be benign. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

And she's identified! 

https://www.index.hr/vijesti/clanak/otkriven-identitet-zene-nadjene-na-krku/2305549.aspx

Thank you, everyone who took a look at the photo with intention to help. 

The mystery remains, whether it's medical or personal... I hope it turns out to be benign. 

Even more strange that the article said she's possibly been seen in Drvenik, which is quite a way from Krk. My uneducated guess is she was robbed, and the someone tried to get rid of her and dumped her on the rocks, thinking she'd be pulled in by the sea. Fortunately the woman is a strong and lucky person, she survived but with amnesia. The perpetrator now shivers and awaits the day her short-term amnesia is no more... :P

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, CloudSix said:

Even more strange that the article said she's possibly been seen in Drvenik, which is quite a way from Krk. My uneducated guess is she was robbed, and the someone tried to get rid of her and dumped her on the rocks, thinking she'd be pulled in by the sea. Fortunately the woman is a strong and lucky person, she survived but with amnesia. The perpetrator now shivers and awaits the day her short-term amnesia is no more... :P

That is possible too. Police did investigate the possibility that she was a victim of a crime, right from the start. But it's not likely, since there were no other robberies. And her injuries are not the result of an attack. (But it could be a crime out of some personal motive made to look like robbery.)

It may happen that someone has their pocket picked in Croatia, but no robberies that would target tourists. It's one of the advantages of a very small country - the crime is small too :D 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Helen of Annoy said:

That is possible too. Police did investigate the possibility that she was a victim of a crime, right from the start. But it's not likely, since there were no other robberies. And her injuries are not the result of an attack. (But it could be a crime out of some personal motive made to look like robbery.)

It may happen that someone has their pocket picked in Croatia, but no robberies that would target tourists. It's one of the advantages of a very small country - the crime is small too :D 

It's rare, that's true. But the amount of people getting ripped off by the people working in tourism is off the charts, everywhere( znan jer i ja radin u turizmu :P) so maybe there's less robberies and more scamming. 

Anyway glad that they identified her, and I hope she gets her memory back.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, CloudSix said:

It's rare, that's true. But the amount of people getting ripped off by the people working in tourism is off the charts, everywhere( znan jer i ja radin u turizmu :P) so maybe there's less robberies and more scamming. 

Anyway glad that they identified her, and I hope she gets her memory back.

Ripping off is something else, it's no robbery since we don't hold a gun to tourists' heads :D  

Seriously, with the exception of few really overpriced places, I'd say people think Croatia is actually quite affordable. 

And thank you for working in tourism, because that's actually hard and frustrating work while it's what fills up our state budget. We'd be dead without you. May your taxes are lower and tourists not missing :D 

• Like 3

A mystery woman found on a Croatian island is believed to be a jewellery maker whose designs have been worn by celebrities.

Police appealed to the public for help identifying the woman, who speaks perfect English, after she was found sitting on a remote outcrop on the island of Krk with cuts and bruises on her face and appearing to have lost her memory.

Friends claiming to know the woman have now named her as 56-year-old Daniela Adamcova, a Slovakian woman who has lived in both the US and Ireland.

Mystery woman found in Croatia with no memory believed to be designer who made jewellery for celebrities | The Independent

Edited by The Silver Shroud
  • Like 3