Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Seal pup dies after selfie snappers scare off its mother

Still Waters

People have been urged to stay away from seal pups after one died when its mother was frightened away by visitors taking selfies.

The pup had been spotted on the beach near Llangrannog in Ceredigion.

The council put up signs and handed out leaflets asking people to leave it alone, but said the warnings were ignored and the animal died.

Seals are sometimes seen off the Welsh coast between August and December, which is the breeding season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58629122

• Sad 9

1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

The council put up signs and handed out leaflets asking people to leave it alone, but said the warnings were ignored and the animal died.

I cannot believe how incredibly cruel some people are. They knowingly endangered that poor pup.

It's unfortunate that stronger measures weren't taken to get them out of there.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I cannot believe how incredibly cruel some people are. They knowingly endangered that poor pup.

It's unfortunate that stronger measures weren't taken to get them out of there.

I'm not even sure it's cruelty. It's just plain old stupidity, which seems to be becoming more and more commonplace.

Stories such as this, landmarks and areas of natural beauty being trashed, injuries and deaths from taking ridiculous risks crossing safety barriers, etc.

For what? To grab some narcissistic piece of vanity to throw on social media?

They should enjoy the location and the experience, the sights and the sounds, while respecting their surroundings :rolleyes:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

I'm not even sure it's cruelty. It's just plain old stupidity, which seems to be becoming more and more commonplace.

Stories such as this, landmarks and areas of natural beauty being trashed, injuries and deaths from taking ridiculous risks crossing safety barriers, etc.

For what? To grab some narcissistic piece of vanity to throw on social media?

They should enjoy the location and the experience, the sights and the sounds, while respecting their surroundings :rolleyes:

Stupidity played a role, no question. But they were asked to leave the pup alone, and were most likely told why. But yeah, what else would you expect from narcissists and others of the same ilk.

It surprises me that more aggressive steps weren't taken to protect the little thing. Why wasn't the area cordoned off or something? Why weren't authorities brought in to assist? That area of the beach should have been closed off and it wasn't.

• Like 1

Oh and one other thing. If it was clear that the mother was not coming back and the pup was in distress and dying, why not rescue it? I don't understand why it was not picked up and sent for care and rehab at some facility. It's extremely upsetting that it was simply left there to die.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Stupidity played a role, no question. But they were asked to leave the pup alone, and were most likely told why. But yeah, what else would you expect from narcissists and others of the same ilk.

It surprises me that more aggressive steps weren't taken to protect the little thing. Why wasn't the area cordoned off or something? Why weren't authorities brought in to assist? That area of the beach should have been closed off and it wasn't.

But, to what end? Unless they are going to make it a pet at a zoo.   Growing up as a seal, with other seals is vital to survival.  They are after all a large part of the ocean food chain.  Best intentions from their human friends only go so far.  It is a wild, wild world out there.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...        :hmm:

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, joc said:

But, to what end? Unless they are going to make it a pet at a zoo.   Growing up as a seal, with other seals is vital to survival.  They are after all a large part of the ocean food chain.  Best intentions from their human friends only go so far.  It is a wild, wild world out there.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...        

They typically rehabilitate them and return them to the wild. But yes, it is a wild, wild world out there.