Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Deadwood Releasing 10.9 Gigatons of Carbon Every Year – More Than All Fossil Fuel Emissions Combined

Grim Reaper 6

""Decaying wood releases around 10.9 gigatons of carbon worldwide every year, according to a new study by an international team of scientists. This is roughly equivalent to 115 percent of fossil fuel emissions. We know living trees play a vital role in absorbing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. But up until now, we didn’t know what happens when those trees decompose. It turns out, it has a massive impact.”"

Co-author of the study Professor David Lindenmayer from The Australian National University (ANU) says it’s the first time researchers have been able to quantify the contribution of deadwood to the global carbon cycle.

https://scitechdaily.com/deadwood-releasing-10-9-gigatons-of-carbon-every-year-more-than-all-fossil-fuel-emissions-combined/

• Like 1

And here I thought the town of Deadwood was having a revival. I know, I know, “How dare I?”

Edited by newbloodmoon
  • Haha 1

Good article, but I think it could use more background.  Also I think it may give some people the wrong impression, a flash news story without the necessary connection to a larger picture.

Deadwood releasing carbon dioxide is a part of the carbon cycle and trees have been doing that for the millions of years. It provides the balance that shaped our evolution. Some carbon exchange has to happen or there is no available carbon for future plants.  I think if we leave that part alone, we don't need to worry about it.

On the other hand I imagine some people would spin it to say if we reduce forest deadwood releasing  CO2  then we can burn more hydrocarbons.  

@Doug sorry if I messed up the basics

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zep73 said:

Greta Thunberg will soon boycott deadwood!

I always knew that trees take in CO2 and release Oxygen, but apparently they must also store CO2 within their cells and within the wood itself. That's what I get from the article anyway, does that make sense to you guys?

18 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Good article, but I think it could use more background.  Also I think it may give some people the wrong impression, a flash news story without the necessary connection to a larger picture.

Deadwood releasing carbon dioxide is a part of the carbon cycle and trees have been doing that for the millions of years. It provides the balance that shaped our evolution. Some carbon exchange has to happen or there is no available carbon for future plants.  I think if we leave that part alone, we don't need to worry about it.

On the other hand I imagine some people would spin it to say if we reduce forest deadwood releasing  CO2  then we can burn more hydrocarbons.  

@Doug sorry if I messed up the basics

• Like 1