Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

People seeing Fictional Characters in real life

KosherDill

Hello everyone! :DThis is a topic I'm interested in trying to make some sense of, so I'd appreciate your thoughts and theories. ;)

On the Wikipedia page for the comic character John Constantine, there is a section entitled 'real life' which documents real life sightings of John Constantine. Several writers from Hellblazer have claimed to have seen John Constantine;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Constantine#In_real_life

There have also been sightings of Slenderman, Disney characters, The Shadow (Novel character) and Hanna Barbera characters. They weren't people in costumes.. Some of these sightings weren't even humanoid in nature. They were (to the witnesses) the actual characters themselves. This page documents a sighting of Slenderman by a woman who didn't even know he was a fictional character..

http://anomalyinfo.com/Stories/2012-november-ca-disquieting-encounter

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2019/02/bizarre-cases-of-fictional-characters-who-stepped-off-the-page-into-reality/

What was unusual about these sightings is they (the characters/entities) could interact with the physical world, and everyone else could see them, so it wasn't just one person who could see them at the same time. In one case that happened decades ago, which I can vaguely recall right now, some people were even killed, leaving one witness, who was disturbed for the rest of his life because of what he had seen. At first, it was a creepy looking silhouette out of some fog, then, when they became scared of it and correctly guessed what it was, that's when it started to fully appear and give chase, and it started to eat each of his friends, one by one, with only him surviving the encounter. When he gave a detailed description of what he saw and some drawings, it matched that of a character from a then-recently released cartoon show, except instead of being friendly, it was aggressive. It was as if they were flesh and blood entities, capable of talking, eating, opening doors, etc. From what I can recall right now, there was a search for bodies, but they could never be found, so it would seem as if something had eaten them, hence why no bodies could be recovered.

These entities don't seem to stick around for too long; with the John Constantine sightings, one of the writers decided to follow him around a corner, only to find that he'd disappeared!

Sometimes, these characters behave in a manner consistent with their source material. In other cases, they act out of character compared to their source material (ie, a friendly character being violent, or threatening).

I'm not sure if this is related to ghosts, but I was thinking about it earlier and just wondered what people's thoughts are on this phenomenon. 

Edited by KosherDill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@KosherDill  Thanks this is the first I've heard of this phenomenon.

This reminds me of a fictional creation of ghost named 'Philip' who later communicated paranormally with a group. Here's the story.

Another thought is that focused concentration can produce a thought form on the higher (astral/mental planes). And this thought form can act out in the actual physical world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't have a clue about what causes people to see the strange things you describe, but I believe that in many cases these visions are drug related. But, anyway Welcome to the forum and don't let it get you down if you receive some very skeptical replies, or some sarcastic humor!:tu:

@KosherDill

• Like 1

overactive imaginations paired with any assortment of mind alterting substances, mental health deficiency or a desire for attention...perhaps. 

Edited by Overdueleaf
  • Like 2

Sadly I think this "syndrome or whatever it is" is the fault of the parents. Do drugs while pregnant, baby gonna come out not right in the head. I've got the older generations covered as well; booze ain't too good for a foetus just like drugs ain't.

Side note: I don't know why I chose to write that post with a southern accent. "Hey ma! I gots a question..!"

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Overdueleaf said:

overactive imaginations paired with any assortment of mind alterting substances, mental health deficiency or a desire for attention...perhaps. 

Could imagination lead to the deaths of four people along with their bodies being unfindable? 

it could definitley lead to

1. someone killing 4 people then concocting a tale about a cartoon character coming to life to try to avoid being punished for the crimes

or

2. the brain trying to cope with a very real traumatic event that they witnessed or played a role in

Makes more sense to me than storybook characters coming into existence and then vanishing when someone catches wind of them

• Like 3

Comic conventions. You'll see a lot of fictional character there.

Schizophrenia is one hell of a drug.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2

As hard as I've tried to manifest Wonder Woman - old, new or even animated - into my reality, I've been tragically disappointed :(

wonder-woman-1.jpg

• Like 2

i've never seen cartoon characters. Here's my story. I was driving FM1518 and turned on to Weiderstein  Road to hit the local parkway. As I approached the park way, I saw this tall figure that was black, and two dimensional, like a    paper cut out. I stopped and  opened the car do and looked at it.It was flat black in color, human shaped. Got back in the car and drove off. To me, it looked like maybe some sort of metal sculpture. Wondered how it got there, but that was it. Came back the parkway from Walmart. I happend to glanced over to Weiderstein Rd. on my right..But now, instead of  one figure, now there were two! And the second one was the same as the first. Only the way the second figure was positioned was like it was I'm tired dude, got to take a break, like kind of crouched down.The first figure I saw was standing next to it ,with its arm extended like its hand so to speak on the second one as if to say, Okay buddy, take a break. Weirdest dam thing I ever saw.  I almost thought of stopping and for some stupid reason telling the two, you guys can't stay in the road, someone could hit you if they come down there. Nutty i know, but i wonder if  they could have come from another dimension. Anyhow, didn't stop, went home and put up the groceries. When I did go back to check the scene, to see if they were still there, the pair were gone.  At no time did i feel threatened or scared , no spidey senses  going off, . Which is funny because I know of an old cemetery out   east of Seguin  on the way to Cost .Texas, and was going to check it out.It's mowed and everything and sits on this dirt road, but i got this vibe from it, don't do it, something there wasn't nice.And this was BROAD DAYLIGHT, not at night. You can look up Madame David-Neel , a frenchwoman who visited Tibet.She studied  with the monks there. She managed to create what the tibetans call a tulpa. This thought form started out as a jolly monk who went with the group. But over time, the charachter changed so instead of being  fat, it became leaner and not so jolly. It was a struggle between her and the tulpa,but she was able to absorb it to keep it from doing any more harm. It maybe with all these shows on the paranormal, people practicing witchcraft, satanisn,, other religons, like Sataria, these things are comming out of where ever they reside into our world.BY the way, the best way to describe the figures I saw that day was like the figures on the Pedestrian crossing signs ,because that's what they looked like.

Thoughtforms are just self induced Visual hallucinations. Depending on the person a thoughtform might take years to develop. Then you have those who think ghost are real and their imaginations fabricate such an experience. 

Such things are not limited to Visual imagery, they can be tactile, auditory, and olfactory. 

@KosherDill

Are you familiar witth the Tibetan tradition of creating Tulpas?  You may find it interesting and it resonates with this topic.

Also, a similar expression in Western Esoteric traditions, are Egregores.  Fascinating stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, quiXilver said:

@KosherDill

Are you familiar witth the Tibetan tradition of creating Tulpas?  You may find it interesting and it resonates with this topic.

Also, a similar expression in Western Esoteric traditions, are Egregores.  Fascinating stuff.

Would a Tulpa or Egregore be capable of killing someone? In these cases it was as if they were flesh and blood entities, capable of opening doors like a normal person would, talking, eating, etc

Edited by KosherDill

5 hours ago, LV-426 said:

As hard as I've tried to manifest Wonder Woman - old, new or even animated - into my reality, I've been tragically disappointed :(

wonder-woman-1.jpg

Now that's my kind of delusional......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I waited, like for-evvver, but Kari Wuhrer never manage to Slide through my life even once.:hmm:

Image result for KARI WUHRER

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KosherDill said:

Would a Tulpa or Egregore be capable of killing someone? In these cases it was as if they were flesh and blood entities, capable of opening doors like a normal person would, talking, eating, etc

No.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, an egregore is a collective thoughtform (think of religion and the gods that are worshipped). A tulpa is a personally cultivated thoughtform.

Due to suggestion people might perceive such a thing, but it is still just an idea. People create their own monsters and haunt themselves.

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

I waited, like for-evvver, but Kari Wuhrer never manage to Slide through my life even once.:hmm:

Image result for KARI WUHRER

Kari Wuhrer isn't fictional.

You just didn't luck out in the dating stakes there my friend :lol:

1 hour ago, LV-426 said:

Kari Wuhrer isn't fictional.

You just didn't luck out in the dating stakes there my friend :lol:

Well. of course I was referring to her character, Maggie Beckett on Sliders, but the first picture was hard to resist.

See the source image

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KosherDill said:

I'll let you explore it and come to your own conclusion.