Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

William Shatner is going to space, aged 90

UM-Bot

Good for him.   I've liked him in everything he has done.    Never really been a Star Trek fan.   I was bummed when Better Late Than Never was cancelled.  

• Like 1

We used to get a kick out him as T.J. Hooker..   A uniformed L.A. Police Sgt.      It was a little corny, but fun.

A short ride on Jeff Bezos' bottle rocket is only technically going to space.

• Like 1

Further confirmation that this is going ahead on October 12th:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58792761

"I've heard about space for a long time now. I'm taking the opportunity to see it for myself. What a miracle," Shatner said in a statement.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2021 at 9:14 AM, Myles said:

Good for him.   I've liked him in everything he has done.    Never really been a Star Trek fan.   I was bummed when Better Late Than Never was cancelled.  

Yeah, that was a great show!

• Like 1

Good for Shatner. He and the rest of the cast deserve to go into space.  They inspired so many people with a love of science fiction and the dreams of wandering far and wide.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Surprised he's still going. I wouldn't after reading this article:

The US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has said it will review safety concerns raised by whistleblowers at Blue Origin, Amazon founder Jeff Bezos' space company. The announcement comes after 21 current and former employees claimed the company had ignored safety concerns to gain an advantage in the space race.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58760764

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Surprised he's still going. I wouldn't after reading this article:

The US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has said it will review safety concerns raised by whistleblowers at Blue Origin, Amazon founder Jeff Bezos' space company. The announcement comes after 21 current and former employees claimed the company had ignored safety concerns to gain an advantage in the space race.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58760764

Well, he IS 90.  I expect he's been well briefed on the risks.  When I paid to go tandem skydiving back in 2018 I had to watch a video explaining exactly what I was getting into AND it took me more than 10 minutes to sign all of the disclaimers and releases.  That's not an exaggeration, either.  I actually developed a cramp in my hand :)   If I augured in and went splat!,  NOBODY in that company was going to be at risk.  :lol:

• Like 2

Great way to honour a man who inspired so many about space. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Great way to honour a man who inspired so many about space. 

A pal of mine made a joke that goes... "The funniest thing now will be William throwing a tantrum and not willing to come back down... "

~

• Haha 2

Congrats, Mr. Shatner, on your upcoming space flight. You have meant much to so many people so I dedicate this tune to you.

Def Leppard - Rocket

• Thanks 1

DAMN, I LOVED THE 80S :w00t:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, and then said:

So glad I was born the following decade. The 80s hair styles were atrocious!

I managed to find a few episodes of the original Star Trek online. Had no idea it started in the 1960s. I loved the episodes I saw. They were so campy!

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 3:50 PM, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I managed to find a few episodes of the original Star Trek online. Had no idea it started in the 1960s. I loved the episodes I saw. They were so campy!

I guess I should have been more targeted.  I loved the music in the 80s.  I actually watched those Star Trek episodes during their regular seasons.  I forget how many there were but it was very limited.  

• Like 2

The original Star Trek is on MeTV Saturday nights 9pm central. That network has a lot of classical tv shows.

• Thanks 1

Update:

Blue Origin delays William Shatner's space flight

Blue Origin announced Sunday it was delaying an upcoming flight set to carry actor William Shatner to space due to anticipated winds.

His history-making flight was scheduled for October 12.

But "due to forecasted winds on Tuesday, October 12, Blue Origin's mission operations team has made the decision to delay the launch of NS-18 and is now targeting Wednesday, October 13," a spokeswoman said in a statement.

The new flight is scheduled for 8:30 am (1330 GMT).

https://phys.org/news/2021-10-blue-william-shatner-space-flight.html

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2021 at 3:06 PM, and then said:

I can't decide if I'm a 70s or 80s guy. I entered high school in the late 70s but graduated in the early 80s.:blink:

"I'm thrilled and anxious and a little nervous and a little frightened about this whole new adventure," Shatner said.

"But I've got to think that once it's done, once I've been into space and seen the universe and seen our Earth and the contrast between that hostility and this warmth, and how important it is to keep the Earth alive so that we don't wreck it, we human beings don't wreck it, that contrast in all of that is so dramatic to me."

Sky News at MSN

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You would have been aghast at the 60's. Bell bottom trousers with paisley inserts and hair was everywhere

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

You would have been aghast at the 60's. Bell bottom trousers with paisley inserts and hair was everywhere

That was quite funny, but no I wouldn't have been aghast at the 60s. Great music, funky clothes, and all that peace love groovy stuff.

14 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

....and hair was everywhere

That was a great times! There is no way of filming the musical ‘Hair’ nowadays.  <_<

• Like 1