Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Reliable way to induce lucid dreams discovered

UM-Bot

*Joe Rogan has entered the chat*

"curing Alzheimers is great and all, but so is elk meat and have you ever tried DMT?" 

• Haha 5

The subjects were Veteran Lucid Dreamers and who took the drug then followed their usual lucid dreaming techniques before sleeping!

So was it the drug or the usual lucid dreaming technique that produced the results? The article does not mention a control group or set of testing without the drug without which the results are inconclusive (I have not read the original experiment papers, just the article mentioned).

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, godnodog said:

No thanks, I need something to let me have less frequent lucid dreams.

What’s negative about your lucid dreams?

54 minutes ago, BeerDevil said:

The subjects were Veteran Lucid Dreamers and who took the drug then followed their usual lucid dreaming techniques before sleeping!

So was it the drug or the usual lucid dreaming technique that produced the results? The article does not mention a control group or set of testing without the drug without which the results are inconclusive (I have not read the original experiment papers, just the article mentioned).

There are concerning things in the article too:

‘That's important, because in addition to helping people enjoy fantastic dreams where they can help control what happens, the research could also help explain the links between lucid dreams and consciousness, and help people to confront their fears and process trauma while safely asleep.’

The problem here being that even while lucid dreaming, there is potential for the subconscious to create false memories.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Timothy said:

‘That's important, because in addition to helping people enjoy fantastic dreams where they can help control what happens, the research could also help explain the links between lucid dreams and consciousness, and help people to confront their fears and process trauma while safely asleep.’

The problem here being that even while lucid dreaming, there is potential for the subconscious to create false memories.

Yeap, and that is why I prefer not to have so many lucid dreams. Too many time I wake up completely disoriented about certain events. It also causes me to wake up still somewhat tired. On weekends it's.ok as I can sleep longer and all is ok.

I was recently temporarily on a well-known heart medication for AFIB/PAC's, but over the 2 weeks I was on it before it was pulled from me on an emergency basis of severe side-effects I was, among other very bad things, experiencing really bad and shocking nightmares.

No drugs for me, thank you.

P.S. the heart drug was Diltiazem 240mg, otherwise known as Cardizem (and other names)

Edited by pallidin
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Timothy said:

What’s negative about your lucid dreams?

Nothing negative. But when its recurring its takes a toll, I used to feel mentally tired most of the time. Nowadays I no longer have them on a regular basis and I prefer it that way.

For those interested one way I can cause licod dreams (not always of course) is to put on tv stuff like ancient aliens and close.my.eyes, it oftens helps me realize I am dreaming and control my dreams.

One great thing about lucid dreaming is the feeling of colour and the amount.of details you can see. You can see details in 8k. 

:lol:

Once I dreamt I was in. Rock concert and I remember thinking "man too bad I will never hear this music again", 

Don't argue with me, this is just what I experienced.

Edited by godnodog

7 minutes ago, godnodog said:

Nothing negative. But when its recurring its takes a toll, I used to feel mentally tired most of the time. Nowadays I no longer have them on a regular basis and I prefer it that way.

For those interested one way I can cause licod dreams (not always of course) is to put on tv stuff like ancient aliens and close.my.eyes, it oftens helps me realize I am dreaming and control my dreams.

One great thing about lucid dreaming is the feeling of colour and the amount.of details you can see. You can see details in 8k. 

:lol:

Once I dreamt I was in. Rock concert and I remember thinking "man too bad I will never hear this music again", 

Don't argue with me, this is just what I experienced.

Say, do you have any tips on going into a non-drug lucid state to have a degree of control over dream content?

I have not had many , but i remember one i had where i was in a cemetary or something of the sort and there were these statues , like angels and other figures and they were like moss covered rusted iron and the detail was incredible , was a long time ago but i remember it. If they ever develop this inducing lucid dreams , i imagine they will monetize it right away.

On 9/27/2021 at 12:33 PM, pallidin said:

Say, do you have any tips on going into a non-drug lucid state to have a degree of control over dream content?

I'd start by keeping a dream journal (which improves dream recall). After a couple days (though results vary) you should be able to recall (write down) numerous dreams per night. Then look into lucid dreaming induction techniques (there's many).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bed of chaos said:

I'd start by keeping a dream journal (which improves dream recall). After a couple days (though results vary) you should be able to recall (write down) numerous dreams per night. Then look into lucid dreaming induction techniques (there's many).

You have good tips there!

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, pallidin said:

You have good tips there!

It sounds simplistic but works. Its possible you already had lucid dreams but forgot them (as we forget most of our dreams). Good luck.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 10:24 PM, Timothy said:

I guess there is always a potential to create false memories 

A lucid dreamer since first memory, ( Ie I am always fully conscious/aware that i am dreaming in any dream ) and able to control and direct my dreams by conscious thought while dreaming, I Have always used reality checking and contextual checking  to verify memories 

Eg I've never left Australia so any memory from  overseas is a dream

Im not quite sure what your concern is for false memories  unless its something like a memory of childhood abuse which only ever occurred in your childhood dreams 

I have many memories and part memories from  dreams going back almost 70 years 

This constitutes a lifetime of memories  divided into two parts.

From my waking life and from  my dreams 

However  I've never had a problem with a false memory,  given that I don't consider dream memories to be "false',    but accurate memories of dreams 

My dreams are very realistic, including taste, touch, smells etc.  but  I've never  mistaken a dream for reality or vice versa  

A very good use of controlled lucid dreaming is to use it to learn, to overcome fears,  and to resolve traumas or fears  but the best use of it (IMO) is pure escapist fun every night for a few hours   From travelling the world or galaxy to  recalling past pleasures and experiences  From becoming a character in a dream you script yourself,  to undertaking realistic, very risky activities, with no actual risk  Like flying a Sopwith Camel, and learning how to do an Immelman roll, to jousting with the Black Knight, in a tourney  ..