Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Uri Geller claims he was shown evidence of aliens at US Gov facility

Eldorado

50 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Self-proclaimed psychic Uri Geller claims he was taken to a secret US military facility where he was shown “alien artefacts”.

Can't believe this fraud is still at it. Last I heard of him, he was opening up a museum in Israel and also applying for a job with the British government in response to their ad looking for weirdos (a job Geller would have been well qualified for).

Geller's tricks have all been duplicated (none required special abilities or powers). He's also lost several lawsuits launched against people who claimed he was a fraud. His latest claims of getting his psychic powers from a UFO and of visiting a secret US military facility are as laughable, if not more so, than all of his other nonsense.

• Like 9

Last Friday, Uri Geller claimed to have seen me on the day before. I hereby assure that the claim made by Mr. Geller is not true.

• Haha 4

He should join up with that pastor Jesse Duplantis bloke we're a bit short on comedy double act since the death of one half of the chuckle brothers and cannon and ball

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

- post removed -

Willing to accept claims based merely on Uri Gellar claiming it with no supporting evidence?  For many of us you are absolutely right we wouldn't accept it, we're not that gullible, that's a good thing.

I couldn't find any explanation why he specifically was selected for this special clearance, I'm sure he's already made something up to explain that though too.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Willing to accept claims based merely on Uri Gellar claiming it with no supporting evidence?  For many of us you are absolutely right we wouldn't accept it, we're not that gullible, that's a good thing.

I couldn't find any explanation why he specifically was selected for this special clearance, I'm sure he's already made something up to explain that though too.

Uri and I were referring to acceptance of alien phenomena in general not Uri personally.

OK, I'll bite; someone explain to me why any U.S. official, military or otherwise, would take someone like Uri Geller to a secret facility? And why are some people still buying the old "we couldn't handle the truth" line (lie).

Edit to add that Liquid Gardens posted as I was typing.

Edited by Gaden
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Gaden said:

OK, I'll bite; someone explain to me why any U.S. official, military or otherwise, would take someone like Uri Geller to a secret facility? And why are some people still buying the old "we couldn't handle the truth" line (lie).

Edit to add that Liquid Gardens posted as I was typing.

I speculate that Uri was tested by the United States government and found to have extraordinary abilities so his assistance was mutually courted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gaden said:

why any U.S. official, military or otherwise, would take someone like Uri Geller to a secret facility?

There are times when some people are so bizarre that they get put into special containment cells, unfortunately Uri keeps escaping.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I speculate that Uri was tested by the United States government and found to have extraordinary abilities so his assistance was mutually courted.

Geller's authenticity was tested by the CIA and other US government agencies in the 1970s. The tests weren't done under strict protocols and the experiments, as a result, were vulnerable to trickery. Several scientists who once professed belief in Geller's abilities have since changed their minds.

Geller is a magician and illusionist, but that's where his abilities end. 

As for why people still believe in him, despite his exposure as a fraud, Carl Sagan said it best:

QJYhLj5.jpeg

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Geller's authenticity was tested by the CIA and other US government agencies in the 1970s. The tests weren't done under strict protocols and the experiments, as a result, were vulnerable to trickery.

The tests were done under strict protocols and you listen to James Randi's rants too much. If blaming the protocols is all he's got he then will stick with that line for life. 

As for Sagan's quote I see it also. I think many pseudo-skeptics are bamboozled by people like James Randi telling them just what they want to hear. And despite whatever scientific evidence and controlled experimental results point to a different conclusion these pseudo-skeptics are dug in for life. 

Geller's abilities have been a well-done topic between me and the skeptics here. Not sure there'll be anything new today.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

The tests were done under strict protocols and you listen to James Randi's rants too much. If blaming the protocols is all he's got he then will stick with that line for life. 

As for Sagan's quote I see it also. I think many pseudo-skeptics are bamboozled by people like James Randi telling them just what they want to hear. And despite whatever scientific evidence and controlled experimental results point to a different conclusion these pseudo-skeptics are dug in for life. 

Geller's abilities have been a well-done topic between me and the skeptics here. Not sure there'll be anything new today.

Let’s look at it like this - if telekinesis is a skill like, say being able to catch a ball off-handed, something that takes a degree of ability but is also something not everyone can do, if you can do it, it shouldn’t matter what ball is thrown at you, yes? 
I can catch balls with either hand. It doesn’t matter what ball is thrown at me. 
Now, if I handed Uri a spoon, and let’s be fair to Uri and make it in a controlled environment so no noise, no wind, a running video on him and me, could he be expected to bend the spoon? 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

The tests were done under strict protocols and you listen to James Randi's rants too much.

They were not, and I do not.

3 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Pseudo-skeptics? Not sure what they have to do with this, but whatever.

Randi is not the only one who has exposed Geller. Scientists, magicians, illusionists, and a number of others have done so as well.

He's a charlatan. Always has been, always will be.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Let’s look at it like this - if telekinesis is a skill like, say being able to catch a ball off-handed, something that takes a degree of ability but is also something not everyone can do, if you can do it, it shouldn’t matter what ball is thrown at you, yes? 
I can catch balls with either hand. It doesn’t matter what ball is thrown at me. 
Now, if I handed Uri a spoon, and let’s be fair to Uri and make it in a controlled environment so no noise, no wind, a running video on him and me, could he be expected to bend the spoon? 

I believe his success rate is impressive but not perfect. That kind of mental focus can vary with one's mental state at the moment I would think.

Great football receivers make great catches and some drops.

4 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

They were not, and I do not.

Pseudo-skeptics? Not sure what they have to do with this, but whatever.

Randi is not the only one who has exposed Geller. Scientists, magicians, illusionists, and a number of others have done so as well.

He's a charlatan. Always has been, always will be.

No sense in us continuing then!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I believe his success rate is impressive but not perfect. That kind of mental focus can vary with one's mental state at the moment I would think.

Great football receivers make great catches and some drops.

His success rate seemingly requires the tester to be predisposed to allowing him to set the test himself. 
You’ll remember that every time someone else set the test, he failed. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

His success rate seemingly requires the tester to be predisposed to allowing him to set the test himself. 
You’ll remember that every time someone else set the test, he failed. 

My, my, how quickly you have been bamboozled to return to the same hype. I was impressed by the tests under controlled conditions that some will never accept no matter their quantity or quality. The bamboozle is people like James Randi saying the more controls applied to a test the more the phenomena goes away. This is so juicy sounding to the pseudo-skeptic they will never give that up. And no amount of successful controlled testing of Geller or anything in the psi field will ever have them relinquish their position.

5 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I was impressed by the tests under controlled conditions that some will never accept no matter their quantity or quality.

Do you have an example of one such test?

Just now, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Do you have an example of one such test?

Yes but, not for the 100th time on here, no, no, no.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Yes but, not for the 100th time on here, no, no, no.

So no you don't have anything to offer. Glad that was cleared up. Well, you've never really offered anything to begin with. Why should we expect different. Oh, I forget. All those anecdotal stories and such. Poof, valid proof of everything woo in the universe.:lol:

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1