Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

TV show sparks privacy debate

Silver

This is about a TV show, but is applicable to many workplaces: should people be allowed to keep their vaccination status private?

With all British adults having been offered a jab, the issue has highlighted the difficulty in UK law of balancing the right of an individual to keep their medical information private with the right of colleagues to make informed decisions about the risk of catching Covid-19. 

Reports of unvaccinated Strictly dancers spark privacy debate | Media | The Guardian

Edited by The Silver Shroud
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

This is about a TV show, but is applicable to many workplaces: should people be allowed to keep their vaccination status private?

With all British adults having been offered a jab, the issue has highlighted the difficulty in UK law of balancing the right of an individual to keep their medical information private with the right of colleagues to make informed decisions about the risk of catching Covid-19. 

Reports of unvaccinated Strictly dancers spark privacy debate | Media | The Guardian

Private-ish, I think. My employer knows my vaccination status, they know my blood type, my allergies etc. My colleagues do not really need to know these things.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

If only there was some way to reduce your chances of catching Covid 19 and protecting yourself??

Maybe if we asked people to wear masks and sanitize their hands? Just until we have a vaccine that works............

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Private-ish, I think. My employer knows my vaccination status, they know my blood type, my allergies etc. My colleagues do not really need to know these things.

They might be interested if they have a family member who is vulnerable. Do you not think it would be fair to warn colleagues if we haven't been vaxxed? As I have been involved in property renovation, if a tradesman asks if he can work without a mask I always ask if they have been vaxxed. Being the UK, every adult I've worked with has at least been vaxxed once. I don't think a tradesman would expect to get all jobs if he hadn't been vaxxed- face masks are still mandatory for everybody, vaxxed or not in certain workplaces. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

If only there was some way to reduce your chances of catching Covid 19 and protecting yourself??

Maybe if we asked people to wear masks and sanitize their hands? Just until we have a vaccine that works............

There is, fortunately. Vaccination.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

There is, fortunately. Vaccination.

So if you're vaccinated, why do you care if those around you are not?

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

They might be interested if they have a family member who is vulnerable. Do you not think it would be fair to warn colleagues if we haven't been vaxxed? As I have been involved in property renovation, if a tradesman asks if he can work without a mask I always ask if they have been vaxxed. Being the UK, every adult I've worked with has at least been vaxxed once. I don't think a tradesman would expect to get all jobs if he hadn't been vaxxed- face masks are still mandatory for everybody, vaxxed or not in certain workplaces. 

They could always ask. 

16 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

That's not relevant. As a private employer I can employ who I want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

Because Delta does not mind hitching a ride on a vaccinated person, until it finds someone who's not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Silver Shroud said:

That's not relevant. As a private employer I can employ who I want.

So you insist on a requirement that is "not relevant" because.......?

Surely you have some sort of idea how you came to believe the unvaccinated are a danger to you???

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, zep73 said:

Because Delta does not mind hitching a ride on a vaccinated person, until it finds someone who's not.

Are you saying the vaccines do not stop you from getting and spreading Covid? What do they do?

• Like 1

Just now, Hugh Mungus said:

Are you saying the vaccines do not stop you from getting and spreading Covid? What do they do?

They stop people from getting seriously ill and crowding the hospitals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, zep73 said:

So it's a treatment to reduce symptoms? 

I mean, I never wonder if the person next to me is immunized against measles, because I have had my MMR vaccines. This means that it is virtually impossible for me to catch measles from anyone. Generally, this is how a vaccine works. There are other treatments which mean that if you catch a disease your symptoms are reduced, but none of them are called vaccines.

Edited by Hugh Mungus
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

So it's a treatment to reduce symptoms? 

I mean, I never wonder if the person next to me is immunized against measles, because I have had my MMR vaccines. This means that it is virtually impossible for me to catch measles from anyone. Generally, this is how a vaccine works. There are other treatments which mean that if you catch a disease your symptoms are reduced, but none of them are called vaccines.

We have never fought a pandemic with vaccines before. This is a first.
What we have learned so far, is that with so many people carrying the disease, it mutates wildly, and vaccines have to be adapted.
We are currently in the phase before the first adaptation.

Edited by zep73
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Saru has also explained this to that unintelligent poster 

You're just feeding a troll. He knows the benefits and how vaccines work but likes to play dumb

Well, I'm assuming it's playing and offering the benefit of the doubt here as I'm a nice guy 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, zep73 said:

We have never fought a pandemic with vaccines before. This is a first.
What we have learned so far, is that with so many people carrying the decease, it mutates wildly, and vaccines have to be adapted.
We are currently in the phase before the first adaptation.

Very good.

So, if you have had covid, do you have more antibodies than those who have just been vaccinated? 

Because i have heard that you have up to 12 times the antibodies of a vaccinated person if you have recovered from Covid. But having had covid doesn't exempt you from the vaccine? It seems you would be far more protected being around unvaccinated recovered covid patients than being around the vaccinated.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Well, I'm assuming it's playing and offering the benefit of the doubt here as I'm a nice guy 

I never knew you had a sense of humor :tsu:

Just now, Hugh Mungus said:

Lol, let's face it. You don't know squat. 

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

3 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

2 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Lol, let's face it. You don't know squat. 

And we're back to the old psyche

Edit: Well you lasted 5 minutes, that must be some kind of record 

Edited by Hugh Mungus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Saru has also explained this to that unintelligent poster 

You're just feeding a troll. He knows the benefits and how vaccines work but likes to play dumb

We all make mistakes. But we rarely admit them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

And we're back to the old psyche

Edit: Well you lasted 5 minutes, that must be some kind of record 

I don't think it was a whole five minutes.

1 minute ago, zep73 said:

What are your views on insisting people have the vaccine, even if they have 12 times the immunity offered by the vaccine from naturally fighting the virus?

Why not an antibody test instead? Have booster shots for those who need a boost to their antibodies, but if they already have antibodies, why require a vaccine passport?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zep73 said:

So you haven't met Walker then. Apparently he doesn't make mistakes. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Hugh Mungus said:

What are your views on insisting people have the vaccine, even if they have 12 times the immunity offered by the vaccine from naturally fighting the virus?

Why not an antibody test instead? Have booster shots for those who need a boost to their antibodies, but if they already have antibodies, why require a vaccine passport?

You can't treat people on a hunch. You have to have reliable trial data. What you are suggesting could become possible one day. But I have no clue when.

In Denmark it was equal to a corona-passport if you could document that you had the disease - back when we had restrictions. We are now fully vaxed, and have no restrictions at all.

4 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

So you haven't met Walker then. Apparently he doesn't make mistakes. 

There are always exceptions to the rules. Like Boris Johnson having a good hair day.

• Haha 1