Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The robot Alexa that can drive around your house

Eldorado

Amazon has revealed ‘Astro’, an Alexa-powered robot that can drive around people’s houses.

Something like an Amazon Echo on wheels, the machine is able to navigate around the house on its own.

It includes all the traditional features of an Amazon Echo with a screen: it can show TV shows, video calls, or be used to have video chats with family or friends.

But it is also mounted to wheels, allowing it to explore around the house by driving around.

MSN

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

"Users can sign up to buy one now – for $999.99 – and the company hopes to be able to start sending them out later this year."

A thousand bucks.  People are going to lay down a thousand dollars to have a mechanized spy in their home.  Barking.  The world has gone Absolutely BARKING mad.  :no:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Amazon has revealed ‘Astro’, an Alexa-powered robot that can drive around people’s houses.

Something like an Amazon Echo on wheels, the machine is able to navigate around the house on its own.

It includes all the traditional features of an Amazon Echo with a screen: it can show TV shows, video calls, or be used to have video chats with family or friends.

But it is also mounted to wheels, allowing it to explore around the house by driving around.

MSN

I wonder how far away we are from having a government that makes such things required by law?  Before Covid-19 I'd have laughed at the idea.  Those in OZ have the equivalent already.  People must have an app that localizes them geographically and uses facial recognition to prove they are where they say they are.  Anyone who tries that in the U.S. better be ready for some "blowback"  :w00t:.

8 minutes ago, and then said:

I wonder how far away we are from having a government that makes such things required by law?  Before Covid-19 I'd have laughed at the idea.  Those in OZ have the equivalent already.  People must have an app that localizes them geographically and uses facial recognition to prove they are where they say they are.  Anyone who tries that in the U.S. better be ready for some "blowback"  :w00t:.

I don't have any facial recognition app.

Don't know what your talking about. You're nuts. Thank goodness I don't live anywhere near you.

Australia is a far better place to live than America. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, and then said:

You were incorrect and wrong on all counts.

The facial recognition thing is utter and complete BS.

The toddler in the first link didn't pass the border because both his parents and grandparents forgot to apply for an exemption

And the app they are blabbering on about is a voluntary measure for those who don't want hotel quarantine when it applies. It offers you the freedom of your own home.

After states had been infected by people like you who don't give a damn and crossed borders knowing they were infected and then frequented public places, most of us are all for tougher measures. The majority don't want to suffer for their apathy. Why should we?

You see, we do it right. We blame the people who break rules that also selfishly put the community at risk. Not those making rules to keep the community safe. You have it backwards. Your right wing nonsense has robbed you of reason.

Australia is now the greatest country on the planet to live in. Much better than the US.

7 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Australia is now the greatest country on the planet to live in. Much better than the US.

Yeah the ongoing riots in Australia are a testament to that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Yeah the ongoing riots in Australia are a testament to that.

Indeed, less than one percent of the surrounding population. Bet you wish you could say the same. 

Need a dective, look no more, Alexa Robot is here

Seems like it should at least have a vacuum cleaner built in as it sounds like it navigates nearly the same way as an auto sweeper (Roomba type).  

• Like 1

Sales of this robot are going to be absolutely ridiculous. IMO, I see the success of Amazon's "Astro" line of robotics being on par with the personal computer.

Every family is probably going to want one.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel

4 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Sales of this robot are going to be absolutely ridiculous. IMO, I see the success of Amazon's "Astro" line of robotics being on par with the personal computer.

Every family is probably going to want one.

Why?   We already have tablets, we don't need a stand for it that costs $1000.

On 9/28/2021 at 3:00 PM, and then said:

"Users can sign up to buy one now – for $999.99 – and the company hopes to be able to start sending them out later this year."

A thousand bucks.  People are going to lay down a thousand dollars to have a mechanized spy in their home.  Barking.  The world has gone Absolutely BARKING mad.  :no:

They absolutely will, no doubts 

Many are brainwashed to believe, if you do nothing wrong you have nothing to  worry about.

Imagine a scenario, your Astro, that's connected to the internet has a database of wanted people, its camera detected a wanted felon who is armed and dangerous, but it was no felon it was your guest who resembled him a bit, and a dirty cam lens, licked by your dog, contributed to misidetification, next thing you know swat busts your door , and God knows what else they do or who they shot.

Or someone could hack it and practically live in your house, know everything about you........

Hell,.it could be gvmnt spy program. I have no doubts Bezos would not say no to the  gvmnt if they told him they would do this.

Edited by aztek

4 hours ago, aztek said:

Imagine a scenario, your Astro, that's connected to the internet has a database of wanted people, its camera detected a wanted felon who is armed and dangerous, but it was no felon it was your guest who resembled him a bit, and a dirty cam lens, licked by your dog, contributed to misidetification, next thing you know swat busts your door , and God knows what else they do or who they shot.

Absolute nonsense, because the Astro does not have that functionality.

4 hours ago, aztek said:

Or someone could hack it and practically live in your house, know everything about you........

Hell,.it could be gvmnt spy program. I have no doubts Bezos would not say no to the  gvmnt if they told him they would do this.

Kind of like somebody hacking your cell phone? Sorry, I know you conspiracy-theory wingnut types like to think otherwise, but you're not important/interesting enough for people to spend that kind of time/energy on.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, aztek said:

If hackers hack a basic baby monitor they'll hack anything...

The bot is designed to learn your habits to make it more useful in your everyday life. For example, Astro uses tech called Intelligent Motion to navigate your home and avoid furniture and pets, and it's supposed dto learn from how you use it. This means when you're not using Astro, it'll hang out in a low-traffic area close by and charge. 

The robot can follow you around playing podcasts and music, as well as check on others in the house remotely. Astro can also make calls, send messages and set timers, alarms and reminders. The robot even has a little detachable storage bin so you can use it to carry and deliver items, like a bottle of water, to specific people in the home by creating a visual ID. You can video-chat via Astro, too, and the robot will move with you, keeping you in the frame, like the Facebook portal.

Astro can also integrate with Ring's security alarm system (more below), capture video clips of events and send them to Ring's cloud. Read on to learn everything Astro can do with a subscription to Ring Protect Pro and Alexa Guard.

The robot can detect sounds like breaking glass or smoke detectors and alert you. If you think you forgot to turn off the stove, you can send Astro into the kitchen to check. 

cont...

https://www.cnet.com/home/amazon-astro-robot-new-details-on-price-privacy-battery-specs-and-more/

Edited by Michelle

Astro... Heart attack... I'm dying... 

[00.11:08]

Yes, master....

~

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 9/28/2021 at 10:16 PM, and then said:

They're probably busy in Congress right now writing up a law to give these things to everyone because 'equity'. No one should be allowed to have a pesonal spy bot in their house if eveyone can't. 

• Haha 1

I don't see any benefit to having an amazon echo bumbling around the house. It can't actually do anything other than get stepped on. What's the point?

It's nothing but a spying/hacking/security issue on wheels. Last thing I need is a camera following me around filming god knows what, available to god knows who.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1