Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Report dismisses Havana Syndrome theories

UM-Bot

As it says in the Art of Warfare, "A people can lose their spirit, but a leader can lose his mind." It also tells that psychological attacks on a leader is effective to lessen their calculative abilities.

Crickets? That was the explanation? :huh: if we are sending diplomats that cant tell the difference between a weird frequency making them sick... And a cricket chirp... We are in even more trouble than i thought.

• Like 1

Not all the theories were dismissed. The psychological one hasn't been very popular, but this Jason Group study, the most rigorous, to date, deems it the most likely explanation. Conversion Reaction in a group, previously called 'mass hysteria', is , after all, a well known phenomenon. 

If cricket sounds were mistaken for something technological, perhaps the specific cricket sounds in the areas concerned weren't familiar to Americans. Or maybe conditions were such that they gave an unusual timbre to the sounds.

More curious, and less 'business-like' persons might have investigated on their own initiative, and discovered crickets, or at least found what many already know, that, when disturbed by the nearby presence of persons, crickets will typically hush up for a bit. 

• Like 2

In the 50s (i'm sure) there was a prolonged sonic attack on the US embassy in Russia.  The US knew about the attack but did nothing about it till it was actually proven that it was affecting the (and even killing) diplomats.  I highly doubt that if the same types of test were going on today that any truths would be readily available, report or not.