Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Nasa to crash spacecraft into asteroid in 'Armageddon' test of defences

Eldorado

Nasa is planning to deliberately crash a spacecraft into an asteroid to test its ability to protect Earth from a potentially collision.

The space agency’s Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) will lift off next month aboard a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket, for a mission being likened to the plot of film Armageddon.

After launching from Vandenberg Space Force Base in California in November, Nasa will test its asteroid deflection technology in September 2022 to see how it impacts the motion of a near-Earth asteroid in space.

DART will be testing the possibility of intercepting one by smashing into it at nearly 15,000 miles per hour.

MSN

• Like 3

Jon the frog

Crossing finger that they will use a live feed camera while doing it. Just kidding... at 15,000 miles per hour, we would see nothing anyway, lol !

• Like 1

OverSword

How ironic if it deflected it to the earth? :alien:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

and then
55 minutes ago, OverSword said:

How ironic if it deflected it to the earth? :alien:

I'd imagine those clever folks at NASA wouldn't make that mistake but I DO wonder how they can be confident that changing the velocity or track of such a body couldn't cause it to in turn displace other such bodies' orbits.  It'd be quite the irony if they caused a non-threatening asteroid to push a much worse body onto a collision course with our planet.  

ChrLzs
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, and then said:

I'd imagine those clever folks at NASA wouldn't make that mistake but I DO wonder how they can be confident that changing the velocity or track of such a body couldn't cause it to in turn displace other such bodies' orbits.

There's this science called orbital mechanics... it's not perfect, but it's pretty good.  Given the infintesimally small chance of ANY nearby object having a trajectory that will hit earth, if one is found that IS going to, it's an extremely safe bet that pushing it slightly off course will not then send another one careening at us.  Space isn't filled with big rocks..  It's not like they are blowing it up into lots of little pieces.

It'd be quite the irony if they caused a non-threatening asteroid to push a much worse body onto a collision course with our planet.  

Way beyond irony.  In fact, if that did happen.. I'd start believing there was a higher entity that had it in for us....

Edited by ChrLzs