Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man sues psychic who 'promised to remove ex-girlfriend curse'

Eldorado

A California man is suing a psychic who he says falsely claimed she could remove a curse put on his marriage by a witch hired by his ex-girlfriend.

Mauro Restrepo said Sophia Adams promised she could save his marriage if he paid $5,100 (£3,742) to exorcise the spell, according to a fraud suit filed with the Torrance Superior Court.

Ms Adams allegedly told Mr Restrepo he and his family would be "unhappy and in danger" if the curse was not lifted.

He is now seeking $25,000 in damages.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58810977

• Haha 3

Lot of crooks preys on dumb people... that quack psychic found some stupid people to prey on and right now, lawyers are preying on that dumb quack psychic and on that dumbier guy. 

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 2

A guy suing someone with an imaginary talent because they couldn't remove an imaginary phenomena bringing imaginary dangers.............have I got that straight?

Edited by mesuma
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

"Then again - proving that it doesn't exist is likely to be just as difficult."

You never have to prove a curse doesn't exist. That's not the extraordinary claim, lol. If someone thinks anything like that exists, the burden of proof is on them.

I don't think you can sue a 'psychic' for not delivering either, just like how you can't sue a religious leader like a minister for BSing you.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mesuma said:

A guy suing someone with an imaginary talent because they couldn't remove an imaginary phenomena bringing imaginary dangers.............have I got that straight?

Yes, sounds straight to me.

Edited by fred_mc
  • Like 1

I do hope the courts get rid of this stupidity quickly and charge the persons for a waste of the courts time. They have enough on their agendas without having to deal with frivolity. 

• Like 1

People handing over cash hoping to remove an imaginary curse. Doesn't this happen on a wide scale every Sunday morning?

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2021 at 12:06 AM, Berwen said:

I do hope the courts get rid of this stupidity quickly and charge the persons for a waste of the courts time. They have enough on their agendas without having to deal with frivolity. 

I actually wonder how popular the paranormal would be if more people were held accountable for their claims. 

Not nearly as much as it is presently I would imagine. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm trying to work out which of the parties is lower scum, but I think it's nearly a draw.  Hopefully the judge will immediately dismiss it, tell them they all deserve each other, and charge them a shitload for wasting the court's time.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 10/12/2021 at 10:59 PM, psyche101 said:

I actually wonder how popular the paranormal would be if more people were held accountable for their claims. 

Not nearly as much as it is presently I would imagine. 

That’s true. If I were going to be punished for telling people the things I’ve experienced just because I can’t physically prove them to be true, I wouldn’t talk about it at all. 

Wouldn’t make my claims any less true though. 

ETA speaking in general of course. No I don’t believe this man had a curse, nor do I believe this other person could remove said non existent curse. 

Edited by preacherman76

Some may argue the curse occurred on the day they wed and didn’t need a ghost for it.  Sigh.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh brother, i worked at my friends Santeria botanical to learn more about herbs, oils and incense, 

People spend a lot of $$$ to get curses removed, if the spell worked my friend was much powerful if the spell didnt work it was customers fault for lacking faith, mucking it up you name it.

Im still waiting for that member to conjure that demon he claims he can and show it to me.

Hocus pocus bogus focus

• Haha 2

On 10/7/2021 at 8:01 AM, Seti42 said:

"Then again - proving that it doesn't exist is likely to be just as difficult."

You never have to prove a curse doesn't exist. That's not the extraordinary claim, lol. If someone thinks anything like that exists, the burden of proof is on them.

I don't think you can sue a 'psychic' for not delivering either, just like how you can't sue a religious leader like a minister for BSing you.

Actually ministers do get insurance to protect themselves against law suits.

https://rafailinsurance.com/insurance-services/commercial/professional-liability-insurance/pastoral-liability-insurance/#:~:text=Pastoral liability insurance is a type of professional,and guidance on various aspects of their lives.

Pastoral liability insurance is a type of professional liability insurance that covers pastors/religious leaders and their churches/organizations. As a religious leader, your congregation turns to you for advice and guidance on various aspects of their lives. And while you aim to offer the best advice you can provide, you may unintentionally affect someone’s life in a negative way.

A huge scam is the introductory reading scam. People drop in and get a reading and charged say $10 or $20. Later on they get a phone call that they need to come in for a second reading that is on the house. During this follow up reading a curse of some kind is determined that had been hinted at on the first reading. The first reading of course is to locate suckers. The free follow up is to verify the sucker and tell them that there is evil lurking. Then come the expensive services which in Florida have fleeced people of up to a quarter million. The marks are told that special incantations need to be done in Europe, or South America, or Asia. The reader will travel to those locations and perform the needed rituals. The suckers pay up. Trouble is those rituals are never done. No one travels and that is how the readers get prosecuted - fraud. But they are rarely charged because prosecutors don't want to bother with the cases.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/10/us/florida-psychic-fraud.html

She was a 27-year-old medical student in 2007, suffering from depression and going through hard times, when a self-proclaimed spiritual counselor approached her at a mall in Houston with the promise of supernatural help. The student, looking for an answer, agreed to a psychic reading.

The purported psychic said her name was Jacklyn Miller and told the student that her mental problems stemmed from a curse that had killed her mother.

The student met with the psychic, whose real name is Sherry Tina Uwanawich, several times a week and, for years, paid large sums of money for meditation materials, including crystals and candles, in order to lift the curse and protect her family.

Over a decade later, the psychic was charged with three counts of wire fraud, one of which she pleaded guilty to in June as part of an agreement with prosecutors.

On Friday, Ms. Uwanawich, 28, appeared in federal court in West Palm Beach, Fla., and was sentenced to pay $1.6 million in restitution and serve 40 months in prison.

Later we learn about the ex-NYC cop that is helping get these hoaxers that are bilking people.

Soon after the student learned the truth, she reached out to Bob Nygaard, a retired New York police officer and private investigator who specializes in psychic fraud. Mr. Nygaard, who has helped prosecute at least 40 fortunetellers across the country, compiled a case for the student and took it to the Broward County Sheriff’s Office in Florida, he said.

It sat there for years until the Federal Bureau of Investigation, which he had worked with before, contacted him for advice on a different psychic fraud case, Mr. Nygaard said. When he mentioned the medical student’s case, the F.B.I. decided to pursue it.