Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Zodiac Killer identified

37 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Eldorado

The Zodiac Killer, who murdered as many as 37 people and successfully evaded authorities, has reportedly been identified by a team of investigators.

The killer sent coded messages with chilling messages and terrifying threats in California during the 1960s and 1970 and his identity had never been revealed

But a new team of independent investigators say the man who terrorised the San Francisco area was Gary Francis Poste, TMZ reports.

However, police never caught him and it turns out he died in 2018.

UK Mirror

TMZ

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
52 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

The Zodiac Killer, who murdered as many as 37 people and successfully evaded authorities, has reportedly been identified by a team of investigators.

The killer sent coded messages with chilling messages and terrifying threats in California during the 1960s and 1970 and his identity had never been revealed

But a new team of independent investigators say the man who terrorised the San Francisco area was Gary Francis Poste, TMZ reports.

However, police never caught him and it turns out he died in 2018.

UK Mirror

TMZ

I have followed this case since the 1970s, it always seemed strange that he was never caught. Even right now there is no proof the guy they have identified is the Zodiac, their so called break through that he had scares like one of sketches just doesn't cut it. 

Anyway thanks fir sharing!:tu:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice
Posted (edited)

They've requested that Riverside Police compare DNA from the case of Cheri Jo Bates with Poste but have so far been refused. They aren't showing much concrete proof although they say they found evidence in Poste's darkroom. The articles don't say what that evidence is other than a picture they say looks like the composite drawing done by police. Riverside Police have always said they didn't believe Cheri was a Zodiac victim.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/575590-cold-case-team-says-it-has-identified-the-zodiac-killer

Edited by susieice
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
5 hours ago, Eldorado said:

However, police never caught him and it turns out he died in 2018.

IF he was the serial killer, he is facing a far more "sure" justice now.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jethrofloyd

This title should be quoted: ''Zodiac Killer identified''.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DieChecker

So basically his name used with the codes he sent confirms this was him. Very good, though they had to have suspected him anyway, or they wouldn't have gone through his stuff left when he died.

Hopefully this gives relief to someone.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HSlim
8 hours ago, and then said:

IF he was the serial killer, he is facing a far more "sure" justice now.  

You mean none, because he's dead? 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DieChecker

I think he means the Christian punishment, for the naughty, after death.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HSlim
Just now, DieChecker said:

I think he means the Christian punishment, for the naughty, after death.

So nothing that's actually"sure"

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DieChecker
16 minutes ago, HSlim said:

So nothing that's actually"sure"

Sure. Depends on person's belief what punishment he's earned. Some would say he got clean away with it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HSlim
6 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Sure. Depends on person's belief what punishment he's earned. Some would say he got clean away with it. 

That's exactly what I'd say.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
5 hours ago, DieChecker said:

So basically his name used with the codes he sent confirms this was him. Very good, though they had to have suspected him anyway, or they wouldn't have gone through his stuff left when he died.

Hopefully this gives relief to someone.

I don't really see how it can give anyone closure the manner in which they are making the identification isn't scientific or even realistic. The identification was made in the following manner:

""As for how The Case Breakers broke the case ... the team reportedly spent years digging through new forensic evidence and photos from Poste's darkroom. The team apparently found a photo that featured scars on Poste's forehead that matched scars on a sketch of the Zodiac.""

Now comparing a photo to sketch is about as unscientific as it could posdible get. If of we all know that eye witness testimony and sketches made from a victims memory's is never accurate. All the sketche is designed to do is to give a rough estimate of the individual, these sketches were not ever intended to outline minute details, like a very small scare. In reality if they can't find some type of DNA evidence the Zodiac has fooled us all again. Now I hope they exhume his body and fake a DNA sample and I hope the case is finally solved,but based upon the evidence that us being used for the ID I doubt it.

Peace my friend

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DieChecker
1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

I don't really see how it can give anyone closure the manner in which they are making the identification isn't scientific or even realistic. The identification was made in the following manner:

""As for how The Case Breakers broke the case ... the team reportedly spent years digging through new forensic evidence and photos from Poste's darkroom.

Also from the link...

Quote

Other clues include deciphering letters sent by the Zodiac that revealed him as the killer, said Jen Bucholtz, a former Army counterintelligence agent who works on cold cases. In one note, the letters of Poste's full name were removed to reveal an alternate message, she told Fox News. 

"So you've got to know Gary's full name in order to decipher these anagrams," Bucholtz said. "I just don't think there's any other way anybody would have figured it out."

So they plugged his name into the coded letters he sent to police those decades ago, and decrypted them. If he wasn't the one who sent the letters, why would his name be the decryption?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
14 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Also from the link...

So they plugged his name into the coded letters he sent to police those decades ago, and decrypted them. If he wasn't the one who sent the letters, why would his name be the decryption?

You didn't answer my question since there so called new Information is based on a picture that was compared to one if the sketches, his could that be accurate when we know that witnesses are the worst individuals when it cones to reporting accurate information.

like I said before that picture / Sketch break through is not really a Earth shattering clue, it fact it's pretty wonky when you consider that's what they claims are based upon!

JIMO

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skulduggery

This is the same group that “identified” Rackstraw as D.B. Cooper. Heh. Yes, nothing certain. In fact, this guy was likely not the Zodiac. But, as always, here's to hoping.

Meanwhile, somewhere on the internet, Mike Morford, who's been sleuthing this case for decades and runs the zodiac killer dot net site, has an actually interesting person of interest he's been looking at recently (POI name withheld for now). It is quite a bit more promising than this.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Myles
16 minutes ago, Skulduggery said:

This is the same group that “identified” Rackstraw as D.B. Cooper. Heh. Yes, nothing certain. In fact, this guy was likely not the Zodiac. But, as always, here's to hoping.

 

I disagree.   I would say he is more likely the killer than not.  I wouldn't say 100% for sure, but I wouldn't bet against it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bookwormwen

I think the findings are worth looking into but I don't see them as conclusive proof. Mostly circumstantial evidence imo. The codebreaking sounds interesting and I'd like to hear more information about it. I just think the evidence would be stronger if they were able to tie it back to confirmed Zodiac victims rather than making so many connections to an unconfirmed victim. For now I'll just wait to see how things develop from here. Certainly interesting to think about either way.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HSlim
4 minutes ago, bookwormwen said:

I think the findings are worth looking into but I don't see them as conclusive proof. Mostly circumstantial evidence imo. The codebreaking sounds interesting and I'd like to hear more information about it. I just think the evidence would be stronger if they were able to tie it back to confirmed Zodiac victims rather than making so many connections to an unconfirmed victim. For now I'll just wait to see how things develop from here. Certainly interesting to think about either way.

I think there's a strong possibility that not all of the evidence they're going from has been made public.  Could be wrong. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DieChecker
46 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

You didn't answer my question since there so called new Information is based on a picture that was compared to one if the sketches, his could that be accurate when we know that witnesses are the worst individuals when it cones to reporting accurate information.

like I said before that picture / Sketch break through is not really a Earth shattering clue, it fact it's pretty wonky when you consider that's what they claims are based upon!

JIMO

 

True. I agree. The "photo + sketch" didnt do anything for me either.

I thought the decrypt of the codes was much better evidence. Especially considering he was former military that worked with codes.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8

A lot of serial killers take trophies of their victims and with him passing 3 years ago then his belongings would have been discarded but would like to know how his darkroom still had some of his personal effects and when they were collected for analysis

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skulduggery
16 minutes ago, Myles said:

I disagree.   I would say he is more likely the killer than not.  I wouldn't say 100% for sure, but I wouldn't bet against it

It's a press release sent out by this group of investigators. Fox News began reporting on it and it all blew up. In fact, this guy, Gary Francis Poste was dismissed several years ago by law enforcement. I recommend checking out the Zodiac subreddit over on Reddit.

This guy, right now, looks interesting, but there is very little circumstantial evidence and nothing more. He resembles the PH police sketch from the Stine scene. So did others.

I hope it is him! But, I am saying temper your expectations some. This not only hasn't been confirmed by the police and FBI but they're actively dismissing it at the moment.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HSlim
1 minute ago, Skulduggery said:

It's a press release sent out by this group of investigators. Fox News began reporting on it and it all blew up. In fact, this guy, Gary Francis Poste was dismissed several years ago by law enforcement. I recommend checking out the Zodiac subreddit over on Reddit.

This guy, right now, looks interesting, but there is very little circumstantial evidence and nothing more. He resembles the PH police sketch from the Stine scene. So did others.

I hope it is him! But, I am saying temper your expectations some. This not only hasn't been confirmed by the police and FBI but they're actively dismissing it at the moment.

True, but keep in mind how hard the FBI is f'ing up the Gabby Petito case right now.  They're definitely not infallible. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
Posted (edited)

https://www.nationalworld.com/news/people/who-is-the-zodiac-killer-how-gary-francis-poste-was-caught-as-cold-case-investigators-reveal-identity-3410854

 

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the newspaper was contacted six years ago by a relative of Poste who said he lived in the town of Groveland.

This relative accused Poste of being the Zodiac Killer and of having tried to kill him with a hammer.

When the Chronicle contacted Californian police, they said there didn’t appear to be any connection between Poste and the Zodiac Killer.

Poste’s former daughter-in-law, Michelle Wynn, also accused him of being the serial killer, the paper said.

Ms Wynn said she had moved away from California to get away from threats posed by Poste.
 
edited to add

However, the Case Breakers’ findings have been dismissed by local police and the FBI, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

The San Francisco office of the FBI told the newspaper that the Zodiac Killer case remained open.

Sources close to the case said the Case Breakers’ evidence wasn’t watertight, while another warned the methods they used to crack the word puzzles could lead to a misinterpretation of them.

Edited by jmccr8
added context
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jethrofloyd

Just a question: Could the Zodiac killer and the Golden State killer have a possibility of being connected, or even be the same person?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Myles
4 minutes ago, Skulduggery said:

It's a press release sent out by this group of investigators. Fox News began reporting on it and it all blew up. In fact, this guy, Gary Francis Poste was dismissed several years ago by law enforcement. I recommend checking out the Zodiac subreddit over on Reddit.

This guy, right now, looks interesting, but there is very little circumstantial evidence and nothing more. He resembles the PH police sketch from the Stine scene. So did others.

I hope it is him! But, I am saying temper your expectations some. This not only hasn't been confirmed by the police and FBI but they're actively dismissing it at the moment.

I agree.   It is not proved positive that Poste was the guy.  I just disagreed with the comment that he was most likely not the zodiac.  Myself, I would put it around 65% chance that he is the zodiac.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.