Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US nuclear submarine collides with 'unknown object'

Eldorado

That's what they're saying. It hit an uncharted underwater mountain. There have been other incidents where a sub collided or grounded on undersea mountains.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/04/asia/submarine-uss-connecticut-accident-undersea-mountain-hnk-intl-ml-dst/index.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nuclear-submarine-uss-connecticut-collision-underwater-mountain-south-china-sea/

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

It seems strange that a 3 billion dollar submarine full of nuclear material, can navigate without back-up systems designed to prevent this type of mistake and accident.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, susieice said:

That's what they're saying. It hit an uncharted underwater mountain. There have been other incidents where a sub collided or grounded on undersea mountains.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/04/asia/submarine-uss-connecticut-accident-undersea-mountain-hnk-intl-ml-dst/index.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nuclear-submarine-uss-connecticut-collision-underwater-mountain-south-china-sea/

if that is the case, how were they supposed to know? it is not like they have eyes and ears, they do have sonar, but it would give them away if they pinged,  better question were they supposed t be in those waters at all, if they could not use active sonar, and had no map of the seafloor.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aztek said:

if that is the case, how were they supposed to know? it is not like they have eyes and ears, they do have sonar, but it would give them away if they pinged,  better question were they supposed t be in those waters at all, if they could not use active sonar, and had no map of the seafloor.  

As I understand, they haven't said exactly where this sub was when it hit the mountain. There's a map in one of the links of possible locations, but no actual location given. Not that I recall seeing.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, aztek said:

They were there to show their big muscles and small brains...

The incident location was largely uncharted, and secret submarine activities emit no signals as much as possible such as sonar (internals are shielded) so running into an object or structure can happen, though obviously not in the best interest.

It was a secret recon accident to achieve it's objectives, of which we will never know the full story I suppose.

Glad everyone was eventually OK though some were injured I hear.

6 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

Russian Submarine Collides with Mysterious Underwater Object

That was one of the suggestions considered.

Or from China.

On 10/8/2021 at 10:19 AM, Ell said:

They presumably hit Bigfoot, which was going for a swim.

... or a mountain, maybe.

So I was right: they hit a mountain!

They need to buy a little Hummingbird sonar unit and plug it in. I have one on my Bass Boat and assure you that I would spot the rise of a mountain before I ran into it.

This is about the stupidest excuse that  I can imagine. Are they trying to tell us that our so sophisticated nuclear submarines are basically sailing around BLIND??? They can't even spot a mountain????? If they can't "detect"  mountain how are they going to find an enemy sub or even and enemy ship for that matter? If they are that useless they need to scrap them and hire some non-idiots to design a new submarine and put a hummingbird fish finder on it.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, DanL said:

They need to buy a little Hummingbird sonar unit and plug it in. I have one on my Bass Boat and assure you that I would spot the rise of a mountain before I ran into it.

This is about the stupidest excuse that  I can imagine. Are they trying to tell us that our so sophisticated nuclear submarines are basically sailing around BLIND??? They can't even spot a mountain????? If they can't "detect"  mountain how are they going to find an enemy sub or even and enemy ship for that matter? If they are that useless they need to scrap them and hire some non-idiots to design a new submarine and put a hummingbird fish finder on it.

Well my friend , you can't have diversity, disabilities, equity in employment and efficiency working all together in the same package. Eventually north American societies would collapse against the strongest ones hiring ppl on competency only.

Edited by qxcontinuum

17 hours ago, DanL said:

They swim around being  "out-going signal/sonar blind" on purpose!!!!!!!!!!

It's called submarine stealth. No out-going signal, no detection from an adversary. Hello! Shown in MANY movies, military documentaries, etc.

Been done for many decades by all advanced nations. Of course, it does have it's risks.

Edited by pallidin

Yeah, that sounds a lot like driving on a freeway with your eyes closed as a method for avoiding getting tickets for speeding. If you are powered up and moving anything near you knows where you are. The thing about the purpose of our modern submarine fleet is that they don't have to be in any particular place anymore to be a threat. A missile has a totally different range and targeting capability than the old up periscope and send a torpedo did. The big ones these days are mostly mobile underwater missile launching platforms. They stay deep to avoid detection and have no need to move fast once on station. I'm not sure, going into the future, the place that the submarine fleet will have.

More like a truck full of radioactive waste driving around blind and disguised ...

~

Common military submarine procedure during stealth missions. ALL developed nations do this.

That's how it ended-up bumping into an undersea mountain.

Enough said.

Edited by pallidin