Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Which part in the US would be nuked first in a world war

Eldorado

A former spy is going viral on TikTok by answering some of the internet’s strangest, engaging, and burning questions about the profession, with one of them having to do with what US city would be nuked in a world war.

And the answer was quite the shock.

Maria Comstock, who goes by @mariaisabellecomstock on the platform, has been posting videos of her father since last year in a series called “Asking a retired spy the questions we REALLY want to know.”

The first chat with her father goes back to January 2020, where she explained that he worked to decipher Russian messages amid the Cold War— a Russian cryptologic linguist.

MSN

(Minot, North Dakota)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• The title was changed to Which part in the US would be nuked first in a world war

If you start a nuclear war than you try to nuke their nukes first 

• Like 2

DC, Atlanta (CDC), California, NY. Those particular 4 first because they're the seat of political power, heavily populated, and on the coast. 

Edited by HSlim
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, HSlim said:

DC, Atlanta (CDC), California, NY. Those particular 4 first because they're the seat of political power, heavily populated, and on the coast. 

Minot, North Dakota

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

If you start a nuclear war than you try to nuke their nukes first 

The U.S. has nukes all over the country.  How do you choose which ones to nuke first?  Albuquerque is probably on the list as well as the base close to L.A. in California, just to name 2 more besides Minot.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, aztek said:

5c06b7025d58ed6da00ffbd2?width=700&forma

Yet another reason to live in Ohio :D

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

The U.S. has nukes all over the country.  How do you choose which ones to nuke first?  Albuquerque is probably on the list as well as the base close to L.A. in California, just to name 2 more besides Minot.

Idk. They would probably send a nuke towards all of them at once, or atleast as money as they can.

Most nuclear powers have too many Nukes 

I highly doubt anyone would be stupid enough to launch nuclear bombs on the US during a world war. They're far too capable of launching a retaliatory strike even before the enemy's bomb hits ground. What's more likely is a nuclear attack from the ground. 'Home-made' nuclear bombs set off at major urban centres. And even if a full scale attack targeting the US's nuclear arsenal were to take place, the US and its allies have got nuclear resources throughout the world to fall back on.

• Like 2

Just now, spartan max2 said:

Idk. They would probably send a nuke towards all of them at once, or atleast as money as they can.

Most nuclear powers have too many Nukes 

Yeah, maybe.  I thought the nuclear power plants would take out more people, but I thought there were only a few.  It turns out there are 93 in the U.S.   How did that happen?   There are 3 in the South west and one in the north west.  The rest are all on the other side of the Mississippi river.   There are some that are very close to each other in the central east coast.  

Well, I have gone down a dark path in my mind, I need to get some sunshine now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I highly doubt anyone would be stupid enough to launch nuclear bombs on the US during a world war. They're far too capable of launching a retaliatory strike even before the enemy's bomb hits ground. What's more likely is a nuclear attack from the ground. 'Home-made' nuclear bombs set off at major urban centres. And even if a full scale attack targeting the US's nuclear arsenal were to take place, the US and its allies have got nuclear resources throughout the world to fall back on.

I don't think the U.S. has to worry about any nuclear attack from out side.  I think you have the right reasons that it won't happen.   And as long as we don't get any  more politicians like Trump in a federal office we won't be nuking anyone either.   We do need to clean house in Congress and the Senate, but the only way we can do that is to take out the Democratic and Republican parties at the same time and get independents to run to replace them.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

I don't think the U.S. has to worry about any nuclear attack from out side.  I think you have the right reasons that it won't happen.   And as long as we don't get any  more politicians like Trump in a federal office we won't be nuking anyone either.   We do need to clean house in Congress and the Senate, but the onlly way we can do that is to take out the Democratic and Republican parties at the same time and get independents to run to replace them.

A suitcase nuclear attack is a possibility (unlikely, but possible) and no one would see it coming.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yeah, maybe.  I thought the nuclear power plants would take out more people, but I thought there were only a few.  It turns out there are 93 in the U.S.   How did that happen?   There are 3 in the South west and one in the north west.  The rest are all on the other side of the Mississippi river.   There are some that are very close to each other in the central east coast.  

Well, I have gone down a dark path in my mind, I need to get some sunshine now.

I've mused with my brother about this before. His job is Airforce intelligence. Related to nukes. I think he currently has to watch Russia Nukes. 

But basically he said that in a nuclear war your nukes are aiming for military targets initially. Its about destroying the other nations military capability first, more so than whatever target kills the most people. 

Currently nations would have time to know a nuke is headed towards them and try to intercept it.

But there is a emerging technology called hypersonic bombs that would not need to go high in the atmosphere, can stay low, and travel fast.

Comforting stuff lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

A suitcase nuclear attack is a possibility (unlikely, but possible) and no one would see it coming.

And it would probably be from some U.S. citizen like that crazy Uni-bomber or some disaffected teenager, not some middle eastern terrorist.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

Comforting stuff lol

Said no one ever!

Just pray you're on ground zero when and if it happens. Or better yet, on a Mediterranean beach somewhere.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I've mused with my brother about this before. His job is Airforce intelligence. Related to nukes. I think he currently has to watch Russia Nukes. 

But basically he said that in a nuclear war your nukes are aiming for military targets initially. Its about destroying the other nations military capability first, more so than whatever target kills the most people. 

Currently nations would have time to know a nuke is headed towards them and try to intercept it.

But there is a emerging technology called hypersonic bombs that would not need to go high in the atmosphere, can stay low, and travel fast.

Comforting stuff lol

I think that is what the "smart bombs" that were used in Iraq in the early 90's, they were successful hitting their targets because they were under the radar.

• Like 1

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

And it would probably be from some U.S. citizen like that crazy Uni-bomber or some disaffected teenager, not some middle eastern terrorist.

More likely foreign terrorists with the financial backing and means to develop or smuggle it in.

There is no way an ordinary citizen, no matter how determined, would get their hands on one.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

More likely foreign terrorists with the financial backing and means to develop or smuggle it in.

There is no way an ordinary citizen, no matter how determined, would get their hands on one.

Yeah, there is.   That is the rub, there is ways ordinary citizens can get their hands on the materials to build a bomb if they have the right connections or are determined enough.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yeah, there is.   That is the rub, there is ways ordinary citizens can get their hands on the materials to build a bomb if they have the right connections or are determined enough.

I guess anything's possible, but such devices would be incredibly difficult to build and prohibitively expensive as well. An ordinary citizen couldn't do it unless one was handed to them, or they stumbled on one of the many the US and Russia have supposedly misplaced. It's always possible that a less sophisticated version could be assembled, but I don't know where people would get the nuclear materials. The black market most likely.

56 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I guess anything's possible, but such devices would be incredibly difficult to build and prohibitively expensive as well. An ordinary citizen couldn't do it unless one was handed to them, or they stumbled on one of the many the US and Russia have supposedly misplaced. It's always possible that a less sophisticated version could be assembled, but I don't know where people would get the nuclear materials. The black market most likely.

There is nuclear material transported on our highway to the "dump site" in New Mexico every day.   A few years ago one of those trucks actually went missing and was found a day later.  It had been hijacked by a married couple but I don't remember what their plans were.   The actual report was not released once they were found, just that the couple was in custody and the truck was back on route to the storage facility.

There are also abandoned uranium mines in the southwest U.S. (most in New Mexico).  They weren't abandoned because they were played out, but because the owners had no market.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

it is pointless to  shot at nuke sites. there has to be more reasons than nukes.  if you firing first, your missiles will be detected well before they fall, and return fire nukes, (basically the targets you firing at)  will be lunched before your missiles fall. you will hit empty sites. not to mention, hypersonic missiles that  supposed to shot down incoming nukes. 

If you firing in return, those nuke sites will already be empty.  The other side will be shooting at cities, to inflict max human toll, especially civilians. people are gvmnt's currency, the more you kill the more damage to the other guy you do. ever wondered  why we heavily  bombed German cities in ww2, and nuked 2 cities in japan, not emperor palace, not military targets, but civilians,

• Like 1