Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lebanon left without electricity as power grid shuts down

Still Waters

Lebanon has been left without electricity, plunging the country into darkness amid a severe economic crisis.

A government official told Reuters news agency the country's two largest power stations, Deir Ammar and Zahrani, had shut down because of a fuel shortage.

The power grid "completely stopped working at noon today" and was unlikely to restart for several days, they said.

For the past 18 months Lebanon has endured a severe economic crisis which has got worse amid fuel shortages.

That crisis has left half its population in poverty, crippled its currency and sparked major demonstrations against politicians.

A lack of foreign currency meanwhile has made it hard to pay overseas energy suppliers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-58856914

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• The title was changed to Lebanon left without electricity as power grid shuts down

To the south of Lebanon is Israel, to the north and east Syria. This whole area needs intervention to be stabilized.

Edited by Green Lion
  • Like 1

Why haven't they been building solar farms it's not like they don't have plenty of sunlight and land to use? They are going up like crazy around here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Why haven't they been building solar farms it's not like they don't have plenty of sunlight and land to use? They are going up like crazy around here.

I agree Solar Farms would make sense, the problem I see with doing so is how easily they could be destroyed during a conflict, and when is there no conflict going on in that area!

This is from yesterday:

Power returns to Lebanon after 24-hour blackout

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-58861477

Today:

Large fire breaks out at oil facility in crisis-hit Lebanon

Firefighters say they have extinguished a large blaze at an oil facility in southern Lebanon, which is in the grip of a severe energy crisis.

The fire erupted on Monday morning in a petrol tank belonging to the army at the Zahrani Oil Installation, sending a plume of black smoke into the sky.

No casualties have been reported.

The facility is close to one of Lebanon's two biggest power plants, which both had to shut down two days ago because of a shortage of fuel.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-58868798

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I agree Solar Farms would make sense, the problem I see with doing so is how easily they could be destroyed during a conflict, and when is there no conflict going on in that area!

Hi Manwon

The solar farms are not usually in high population density areas and from what I am seeing the power stations shutting down is not because of conflict so would they destroy a power system they all depend on?

• Like 1

The global overreaction to the pandemic caused disruptions that set in motion a potential cascade failure event.  Once the dominos begin falling, there is no way to stop them.  I think Biden had it right, he was just a year late with his prediction of a "dark winter".  Just remember, as life becomes more complicated, chaotic, and unfair, THIS WAS PLANNED.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1