Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Let’s Not Be Too Disparaging of Ignorance

Sojo

I apologize if this post sounds preachy, but sometimes I just feel moved to do something and this is a post that I placed on another site (no longer active) sometime back. It crossed my mind today, and I thought I'd share the perspective. It goes like this:

Let’s Not Be Too Disparaging of Ignorance

Some have said that ignorance is bliss. This may be true for some who would rather not have the responsibility for knowing certain things. But, I’d rather think that the real purpose and boon of ignorance is to experience the joy of discovery.

Think how boring it would be to always have immediate access and recall to all knowledge of everything. Where then would be the fun of trying to figure out a vast variety of puzzles? Granted, not everyone will always necessarily be interested in solving the same puzzles as us and/or at the same time. Some puzzles may seem easy for certain people of greater experience, but those same puzzles are sources of great joy and accomplishment for others of lesser experience.

Commonalities of interest do tend to result in “birds of a feather” flocking together. But this can be problematic if our “interests” have been programmed into us from childhood, and especially when those “interests” are implanted by dogma rather than the result of intellect and reason. I think we each tend to have our own pace and order of progression with respect to learning and discovering. Some of us plod along seemingly to make little or no attempt at progressing. But then “something” may happen that seems to suddenly stimulate our minds to seek out. I remember once in high school seeing a sign on a hallway wall that said in large letters, “THINK”. I remember saying to myself “About what?” I reckon that was something of a kick-start for me.

Many people are terrified to question their own beliefs. A significant prompting for me was the question, “What do you believe, and WHY do you believe it?” This is a very, very important question that we each need to ask ourselves, and then answer it with all honesty. My heart goes out to all those who live in a society where they lack the freedom and are absolutely terrified to ask themselves such a question. I am so grateful that I was not raised in such a restricted way. I fear that were I born into such a culture, that I would be just as dogmatic and terrified of questioning my beliefs as the most fervent of them. I think it’s also important to remember that not everyone reaches the point of self-reflection early in life, and others perhaps not at all. Maybe they just need a little extra “groundwork” before they’re ready to take a long hard look at themselves.

With respect to being patient with others, it helps to consider the fact that in reality we are all ignorant in many, many different ways. I’m pretty sure that what I know compared to what I don’t know doesn’t even register on the old knowledge meter. There are several different topics posted here that are way over my head, and I’m impressed at the knowledge level some folks have on various topics. One person has expertise in a certain area and another has obvious extensive knowledge in another. That’s one reason I so enjoy coming here. However, I don’t think its necessary that we each have some enormous brain that could hold all the knowledge of the universe either. One saying that has continually stayed with me ever since I first heard it is, “Knowledge is in knowing where to find it.”

One thing I do believe with regard to certain types of knowledge though, is that there is some knowledge that should only be held in “righteousness”. Some knowledge in the hands (and heads) of “unrighteous” individuals is tantamount to giving a loaded weapon to a young child, a situation ripe for disastrous results. But alas, I suppose that even this too would prove to be a learning experience. Hopefully the experience could be contained so the damage would not be of a tragic, and/or lasting nature. Maybe that’s one reason for our lives in this temporal earthly existence. So that those who end up using knowledge for “unrighteous” purposes are relatively quarantined to the realm of the physical world so they can’t do any lasting spiritual damage.

Just a little food for thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Sojo said:

there is some knowledge that should only be held in “righteousness”.

I agree

35 minutes ago, Sojo said:

those who end up using knowledge for “unrighteous” purposes are relatively quarantined to the realm of the physical world so they can’t do any lasting spiritual damage.

This is an interesting idea that I haven't come across before. Definitely 'food for thought' for me. Thank you for posting this topic. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sojo said:

One thing I do believe with regard to certain types of knowledge though, is that there is some knowledge that should only be held in “righteousness”. Some knowledge in the hands (and heads) of “unrighteous” individuals is tantamount to giving a loaded weapon to a young child, a situation ripe for disastrous results. But alas, I suppose that even this too would prove to be a learning experience. Hopefully the experience could be contained so the damage would not be of a tragic, and/or lasting nature. Maybe that’s one reason for our lives in this temporal earthly existence. So that those who end up using knowledge for “unrighteous” purposes are relatively quarantined to the realm of the physical world so they can’t do any lasting spiritual damage.

What knowledge are you specifically referring to? And why would this knowledge be a loaded weapon in the hands of the unrighteous?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

What knowledge are you specifically referring to? And why would this knowledge be a loaded weapon in the hands of the unrighteous?

I think that there is some knowledge having to do with the manipulation of energy (one example would be atomic energy) that can be used beneficially if harnessed and controlled properly. However, in the hands of anyone bent on destruction, it could prove to be catastrophic. Perhaps there are more ways of energy/time/space manipulation that could be equally controlled responsibly, but would also be proportionally destructive if not properly controlled.

Maybe there's a reason galaxies are spaced so far from each other. Maybe beings are confined to the physical realms until they've learned to follow the golden rule of treating others the way they themselves would want to be treated. I know it sounds too simple and cliche, but I think folks are free to choose between ego and love for others, and must continue to learn the lesson for as long as it takes to then perhaps advance to greater realms and perspectives.

Thanks,

Sojo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Knowledge is power and those with the right knowledge and the will to use it have power.

People often believe that, but...

• Like 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

Oh boy. A counter argument from a tv show. Lovely.

Look around.

How much does it matter what's true, as opposed to what people can be made to believe?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GlitterRose said:

Look around.

How much does it matter what's true, as opposed to what people can be made to believe?

The best lies have just enough truth in them to stick. 

• Like 1

@Sojo welcome to the forum, my friend this looks like a interesting subject.

""Think how boring it would be to always have immediate access and recall to all knowledge of everything. Where thenwould be the fun of trying to figure out a vast variety of puzzles? Granted, not everyone will always necessarily beinterested in solving the same puzzles as us and/or athe same time. Some puzzles may seem easy for certain people of greater experience, but those same puzzles are sourceof great joy and accomplishment for others of lesser experience.""

I think your comments above will certainly apply differently from person to person and it will all come down to common interest like you said above. 

""Commonalities of interest do tend to result in “birds of a feather” flocking together. But this can be problematic if our “interests” have been programmed into us from childhood, and especially when those “interests” are implanted by dogma rather than the result of intellect and reason. I think we each tend to have our own pace and order of progression with respect to learning and discovering. Some of us plod along seemingly to make little or no attempt at progressing. But then “something” may happen that seems to suddenly stimulate our minds to seek out. I remember once in high school seeing a sign on a hallway wall that said in large letters, “THINK”. I remember saying to myself “About what?” I reckon that was something of a kick-start for me.""

There is no doubt that each of us certainly have different paces, styles and even methods for learning. Some people learn more easily with a hands on approach, some learn more readily by reading about a subject and then by mentally applying it, and others learn better better bu open discussions. However, some others find that by combining these methods to learn, is more appropriate and bennifical. But, the manner in which we learn is less important than how effective our learning method is, and this is not subjective. Because no one knows better than ourselves what is more effective for us.

""Many people are terrified to question their own beliefs. A significant prompting for me was the question, “What do you believe, and WHY do you believe it?” This is a very, very important question that we each need to ask ourselves, and then answer it with all honesty. My heart goes out to all those who live in a society where they lack the freedom and are absolutely terrified to ask themselves such a question. I am so grateful that I was not raised in such a restricted way. I fear that were I born into such a culture, that I would be just as dogmatic and terrified of questioning my beliefs as the most fervent of them. I think it’s also important to remember that not everyone reaches the point of self-reflection early in life, and others perhaps not at all. Maybe they just need a little extra “groundwork” before they’re ready to take a long hard look at themselves.""

Well your comments above are a little confusing to me, I have no idea what would be difficult about facing your own beliefs and doing so honestly. I believe that unless someone has abnormal mental issues that are driven by delusional thoughts and behaviour being honest with yourself should be a very easy thing to do. I mean, personally I am unable to fathom how someone could lie to themselves under normal circumstances. Now while you don't openly say so it appears that your references above are applied to your Religious beliefs. For me I was raised a Catholic, however, while I was required to attend Mass on a regular basis, that's all I did. I never felt comfortable with the faith and as soon as I was able I turned my back upon it, walked away and never looked back.

""With respect to being patient with others, it helps to consider the fact that in reality we are all ignorant in many, many different ways. I’m pretty sure that what I know compared to what I don’t know doesn’t even register on the old knowledge meter. There are several different topics posted here that are way over my head, and I’m impressed at the knowledge level some folks have on various topics. One person has expertise in a certain area and another has obvious extensive knowledge in another. That’s one reason I so enjoy coming here. However, I don’t think its necessary that we each have some enormous brain that could hold all the knowledge of the universe either. One saying that has continually stayed with me ever since I first heard it is, “Knowledge is in knowing where to find it.”

You are certainly right we all don't have a base of knowledge in all areas, and this is what ignorance means to me. But, by definition ignorance of a subject or area of discussion is not an insult to anyone's intelligence or should anyone feel embarrassed fior being ignorant. To me our mental abilities are broken down in the following manner:

1.  Ignorance - Strictly speaking, ignorance, or being ignorant, isn't an insult; it's simply a lack of understanding. Geniuses are ignorant to all sorts of things, but these people are not stupid; instead, they are ignorant. This is an important distinction to make.

2.  Stupidity - A stupid person doesn't have much intelligence or imagination, and they go through life making decisions that seem to lack all common sense.

3.  Fool - Foolish people are self-involved, overly optimistic regarding their own views, and unable to see their own vulnerabilities. In addition in most cases a Fool is aware that they doing something wrong however they do it anyway.

Take Care my friend !:tu:

14 hours ago, Sojo said:

With