Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Seattle could fire 40% of police force over COVID-19 vaccine mandate

WVK

Police officers interact with members of the public on a regular basis, so those who are not vaccinated are a health risk.

Here in Toronto, all Public Service employees have to be vaccinated, including police officers. Whilst the focus is on education to encourage compliance, non-compliance is addressed on a case by case basis. Thus far, punitive measures have not been implemented for the most part.

Last I checked, police officers were to provide proof of vaccination last month (about 20% did not).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Here in Los Angeles, the LA Sheriff has stated openly he will not enforce the mandate on his officers.

You can pass ordinances and laws, but the action comes in having the ability of enforcing them and in this case, Alex Villanueva says his department, already stretched thin on staff can not stand to lose a significant portion to this ordinance.  So he openly says it will not be enforced.  Politicians talk, alot.  They seldom do much, that's left up to the rest of society.

He openly states he's vaccinated and recommends his staff also fully vaccinates, but he will not be punishing his department or any individuals who decide not to follow.

• Like 2

Tricky issue.

Sure somehow someone will find a way to sue the Police for spreading covid in some arrest case.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, quiXilver said:

Well said.

It's tricky indeed.  I understand folks who do not trust big pharma.  But man, the data seems overwhelmingly convincing that the vaccine is very effective.

Yet I understand folks who don't want it in them. 

I've had several rare reactions and one life threatening reaction to a very common daily medicines used by millions.  I waited a while for the vaccines and then in August let the numbers sway my decision.

I refuse to attack and demonize those who won't take it though.  I empathize.

sure, I do too, what I dont sympathize is people who dont take it for political reasons or non based conspiracy theories.
I have no issue with people not wanting to take them for being affraid, due to the hasty process, or for having previous health issues, but thats it.
Not taking vaccines because some other political party strongly recommends it is just KFC stupid.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 10/10/2021 at 10:23 AM, godnodog said:

sure, I do too, what I dont sympathize is people who dont take it for political reasons or non based conspiracy theories.
I have no issue with people not wanting to take them for being affraid, due to the hasty process, or for having previous health issues, but thats it.
Not taking vaccines because some other political party strongly recommends it is just KFC stupid.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Willfull Ignorance is worse than any pandemic.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2021 at 8:41 AM, WVK said:

The city is poised to fire as many as 403 officers, about 40 percent of the 1,000-person force, for failing to take the COVID-19 jab by an Oct. 18 deadline, according to local reports.

https://nypost.com/2021/10/09/seattle-could-fire-40-of-police-force-over-vaccine-mandate/

Good, protect and serve used to mean something. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Too bad we can't by stock in the rising crime levels that will soon be taking place in Seattle.

• Like 5

On 10/10/2021 at 1:23 PM, godnodog said:

I agree.  It's up to people whether they want it or not.   Have a reason though.  Not a "left" or "right" reason.  

• Like 2

If it's really 40% it probably won't happen.  Not if the city council want to be re-elected rather than lose their jobs due to too much crime.  More importantly the vaccination rate in the county that Seattle is in is over 80% so some unvaccinated police are not too much to worry about imo.

Edited by OverSword

4 hours ago, OverSword said:

If it's really 40% it probably won't happen.  Not if the city council want to be re-elected rather than lose their jobs due to too much crime.  More importantly the vaccination rate in the county that Seattle is in is over 80% so some unvaccinated police are not too much to worry about imo.

Still, all it takes is one person to seed an epidemic.

I'm not sure why Seattle (and other places) have failed to achieve high rates of vaccination among police officers. COVID is not only a significant threat to police, it's just as much a threat to the vulnerable (and other) people they interact with on a daily basis. I have mixed feelings regarding mandatory vaccinations, but not when it comes to those who are charged with protecting the public's safety. Officers who are pushing back need to be held accountable, and whilst I, too, doubt that almost half the police force in Seattle will be fired en masse, their willingness to put the lives of people in danger is unacceptable.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I'm not sure why Seattle (and other places) have failed to achieve high rates of vaccination among police officers.

Personally I don't care what they do.  I deal with the police about once aver 30 years.  Were I a cop I would get vaccinated but I'm not trying to live other peoples lives for them.

• Like 1

Just now, OverSword said:

Personally I don't care what they do.  I deal with the police about once aver 30 years.  Were I a cop I would get vaccinated but I'm not trying to live other peoples lives for them.

Whilst you might not have to deal with them, think of the vulnerable people who do. Police conduct thousands of wellness checks on elderly, sick and disabled people every single day. Once the door opens, police can be confronted with all kinds of crisis situations, some of which might require extremely close contact.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Whilst you might not have to deal with them, think of the vulnerable people who do. Police conduct thousands of wellness checks on elderly, sick and disabled people every single day. Once the door opens, police can be confronted with all kinds of crisis situations, some of which might require extremely close contact.

hI kittens

I agree that police should be vaccinated to protect themselves. Whether they have been vaccinated or not makes no difference in how they may contaminate others though as the vaccine does not restrict the potential to be exposed and pass it on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2021 at 4:37 PM, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Police officers interact with members of the public on a regular basis, so those who are not vaccinated are a health risk.

Here in Toronto, all Public Service employees have to be vaccinated, including police officers. Whilst the focus is on education to encourage compliance, non-compliance is addressed on a case by case basis. Thus far, punitive measures have not been implemented for the most part.

Last I checked, police officers were to provide proof of vaccination last month (about 20% did not).

How does them being jabbed protect someone else who is jabbed?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

hI kittens

I agree that police should be vaccinated to protect themselves. Whether they have been vaccinated or not makes no difference in how they may contaminate others though as the vaccine does not restrict the potential to be exposed and pass it on.

It does restrict it. The viral load had a much shorter lifespan. Vaccinated people are infectious for a shorter amount of time reducing the number of people that can be infected. Breakthrough cases also tend to be milder and short lived. 

In July, a study published by the CDC found vaccinated people infected with the Delta variant carried roughly the same viral load in their noses and throats as unvaccinated people, sparking concern they could spread the virus just as easily.

But subsequent research has found this genetic material declined faster in vaccinated people, meaning they likely spread the virus for less time, Professor Esterman said.

"There's also more recent data now that shows if you're fully vaccinated, you're likely to have a lower viral load," he said.

According to the CDC, it's still not clear whether fully vaccinated people with asymptomatic infections can transmit the virus.

What is clear, however, is that unvaccinated people are still the major drivers of transmission.

How do the COVID vaccines change your risk of infection? And are you less likely to pass it on?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

42 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Because they interact with the general public and no vaccine is 100% effective.

That actually seems pretty obvious. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Because they interact with the general public and no vaccine is 100% effective.

That actually seems pretty obvious. 

So smallpox wasn't eradicated by vaccines? 

8 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

So smallpox wasn't eradicated by vaccines? 

Yes it was. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

What @psyche101 wrote, plus the fact that vaccinated elderly, immunocompromised and others with underlying medical conditions are the ones most likely to get a breakthrough infection.

Police are front-line workers and were one of the groups given priority access to the vaccines. They interact with and/or arrest thousands of people on a daily basis, many of whom are not vaccinated, or vaccinated but vulnerable. Most of these interactions require close contact. Why so many officers are refusing to protect others and themselves is beyond me.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Yes it was. 

Oh wow, vaccines do stop disease?

But the jabs for covid don't stop covid?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Oh wow, vaccines do stop disease?

Yes. 

17 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Yes they do stop covid.  

How stupid are you? What do you think they do? Prep your anatomy for 5G or something? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

well since we have tons of cases of vaccinated people get sick and some even die, it obviously does not stop covid, 

• Like 2

On 10/10/2021 at 11:37 AM, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Yeah but we have FREEDOM here in the US.....so....something something stupid about why it shouldn't be allowed here....