Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Average GP now working three-day week

itsnotoutthere

The average GP is now working a three-day week following a “significant” drop in working hours, government research shows.

The research, commissioned by the Department of Health, is from before the Covid pandemic – during which concerns have grown that it is getting harder to see a GP. 

There are particular tensions over access to face-to-face appointments, with Boris Johnson intervening last month to say every patient has the right to see a GP in person.

The new figures show that GPs carried out just 6.6 half-day sessions a week – the equivalent of just over three days – in 2019, the lowest on record. In 2010, it was 7.5 sessions. The data also show a fall in the proportion of time spent on “direct patient care”. Just 59 per cent of GPs’ time was spent in this way in 2019, down from 63.1 percent in 2010.

https://uk.newschant.com/health/average-gp-is-now-working-a-three-day-week-with-one-for-every-2000-patients/

It comes as figures today revealed the average GP — who earns £100,000 a year — is now working a three-day week, following a startling drop in working hours. 

Meanwhile, the average number of people per family doctor has risen 5 per cent to 2,038 over the past six years. But in the worst-affected areas, the ratio is nearly one in 3,000.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10079147/Average-GP-working-three-day-week-one-2-000-patients.html

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• The title was changed to Average GP now working three-day week

When you pay the government to run your health care they can't afford to pay the doctor to get you an appointment.  Big surprise.  Don't worry I'm sure a virtual visit with an algorithm will substitute nicely. 

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

When you pay the government to run your health care they can't afford to pay the doctor to get you an appointment.  Big surprise.  Don't worry I'm sure a virtual visit with an algorithm will substitute nicely. 

'Virtual visit'?  I wish, more like make an appointment for three weeks time, assuming you haven't recovered or died by the time you get to see him/her.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, itsnotoutthere said:

'Virtual visit'?  I wish, more like make an appointment for three weeks time.

I'm sure virtual visits or AI diagnosis will be soon.

Years ago when I changed jobs and got a new insurance policy through it the new insurance company gave me a book to self diagnose and identify over the counter remedies, and it's worked great for years.  The only time I needed to see a doctor aside from check ups was a broken bone.  An AI questionnaire could function as well or better than my book I'm sure.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

'Virtual visit'?  I wish, more like make an appointment for three weeks time, assuming you haven't recovered or died by the time you get to see him/her.

Must vary by area a lot. I've had no problems getting a same day appointment in person recently.

Even height of covid it was a video appointment with a doctor then they'd arrange in person if they couldn't deal with it then.

22 minutes ago, Setton said:

Must vary by area a lot. I've had no problems getting a same day appointment in person recently.

Even height of covid it was a video appointment with a doctor then they'd arrange in person if they couldn't deal with it then.

I've got to wait till Oct.22nd for an X-ray, got the appointment confirmed the third week in sept.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OverSword said:

This is so nonsensical it is difficult to address. It falls into the category of not even wrong.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

This is so nonsensical it is difficult to address. It falls into the category of not even wrong.

Then why does @@itsnotoutthere have to wait weeks to be x-rayed?  I would get that done the day I went in without question at all.  Don't be dense it's because your system, while more accessible to those who don't work is not as efficient as mine.

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Then why does @@itsnotoutthere have to wait weeks to be x-rayed?  I would get that done the day I went in without question at all.  Don't be dense it's because your system, while more accessible to those who don't work is not as efficient as mine.

We must assume it's not urgent. We don't know the clinical details.

This is my personal experience- about a year ago, summer 2020, mid-Covid and in maximum lockdown when we weren't allowed to leave the house, one morning I saw I was passing a lot of blood when I went to the toilet (a lot, and I mean a lot, it filled the bowl!). I rang the sugery in a bit of a panic, thinking I might have bowel cancer. They called back to say come in for a physical that afternoon and have bloods taken, (me and the doctor had to be gowned and masked), they made an appointment the next day at our local hospital, a consultant had a look up my bum with an endoscope, after I sat down with a nurse and a sandwich and they discussed the findings. I wasn't asked for payment.

Coming home tonight there was a RTA, a bike rider was lying on the road, an ambulance and two police cars where there with their blue lights. I am 100% convinced no one there was concerned about money.

Now, I know I pay national insurance of about £100 pounds per month for this service and have done so all my life, but I like it. I really like the fact that when we have a health emergency, we don't have to worry about payment or insurance.

• Like 3

GPs in England will be handed £250m to improve their services but only if they increase the number of patients being seen face-to-face under a new government and NHS action plan.

The move follows an increasingly heated public war of words between GPs and health secretary, Sajid Javid, who has told family doctors to ramp up in-person consultations.

Under the “blueprint” GP practices in England will be able to share in a new £250m “winter access fund” to hire more staff, such as locum GPs, physiotherapists and podiatrists. However, the money will be conditional on increasing the number of patients who get an in-person appointment.

England’s GPs to get £250m boost if they see more patients face-to-face | GPs | The Guardian

Edited by The Silver Shroud

Fury as GPs are told to ignore calls for the right to see a doctor

Practices serving millions of patients across southern England have been advised 'not to participate' in plans to improve access to GPs.

Last week the Health Secretary announced plans for patients to have the right to demand a face-to-face appointment with their family doctor. But GP practices in Surrey, Sussex and south-west London have been told they should not 'engage or respond' with the 'completely unrealistic' measures.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/medical/fury-as-gps-are-told-to-ignore-calls-for-the-right-to-see-a-doctor/ar-AAPG9Yl?

There's just waaay too many patients(I wonder why?), and not enough doctors. I expect the answer to this government-created problem will be to cut consultation time down to 5mns.

• Like 1