Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

St Andrews university sets bias test for entry

itsnotoutthere

"After making their grades and unpacking their bags, new students may be forgiven for thinking they are ready to launch themselves into university life.

But at one of Britain’s leading institutions, they must now clear one more hurdle before beginning their studies: they must accept “personal guilt”.

St Andrews has introduced compulsory modules on sustainability, diversity, consent and good academic practice and will not allow students to matriculate if they do not “pass” by agreeing with certain statements. The university is one of a growing number insisting that students undertake training on subjects including anti-bullying and climate change."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pass-bias-test-to-enter-st-andrews-rgcvcglx3

Dangerous days indeed.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

What needs to happen is that students transfer to other schools.  Vote with your Pounds against the racism of St. Andrews.  This nonsense has got to stop.  People should not tolerate it.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"insisting that students undertake training on subjects including anti-bullying"    Er....with the threat of not letting you do the course you have qualified for if you don't agree with the statements in the modules.......so, a bit like bullying then.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Just now, itsnotoutthere said:

"insisting that students undertake training on subjects including anti-bullying"    Er....with the threat of not letting you do the course you have qualified for if you don't agree with the statements in the modules.......so, a bit like bullying then.

If you're that age and are bullying people you are not attending university anyways.  The whole thing is just pathetic.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, OverSword said:

What needs to happen is that students transfer to other schools.  Vote with your Pounds against the racism of St. Andrews.  This nonsense has got to stop.  People should not tolerate it.

I'm not sure how that works in the UK since their college tuition is paid for by the state I think. Like their might be less options of places to go if you want it paid for. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I'm not sure how that works in the UK since their college tuition is paid for by the state I think. Like their might be less options of places to go if you want it paid for. 

If that's the case then requirements for attending should be uniform.  If Saint Andrews has these requirements it should be the requirements of all universities, and if not then they should not be allowed to require it.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Um..no it's not paid for by the state. You can get student loans for your fees, but they have to be repaid.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Um..no it's not paid for by the state. You can get student loans for your fees, but they have to be repaid.

Thanks. Not sure where I got the idea. Someone must of lied to me before haha

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Thanks. Not sure where I got the idea. Someone must of lied to me before haha

It seems like I've heard similar.  Thank for the clarification @itsnotoutthere

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

It seems like I've heard similar.  Thank for the clarification @itsnotoutthere

I know, because my daughters Bachelor of arts degree cost £50,000.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

This is what I feared. The liberals not accepting free dissenting thoughts about their current hot button topics. Does the mainstream have enough push back?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Maybe you are thinking of Ireland. I know that in the UK and the USA most students take out loans to cover their third level fees and end up with quite a lot of debt by the time they graduate. In Ireland, most undergraduate students attending publicly funded third-level courses do not have to pay tuition fees. Under the terms of the Free Fees Initiative, the Department of Further and Higher Education in Ireland pays the fees to the colleges instead. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 5:04 PM, itsnotoutthere said:

and will not allow students to matriculate if they do not “pass” by agreeing with certain statements.

What statements, exactly?

I have no problem with anywhere excluding anyone who can't agree to statements like:

"Everyone should treat each other fairly"

"Everyone should feel safe at this uni"

What statements, exactly, are they having to agree to @itsnotoutthere? Since you've used a paywalled article, it would be good if you can give some examples.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 5:08 PM, OverSword said:

What racism? Have you found the statements in the article?

And besides, given that if the student doesn't study there, the uni doesn't get the money, it seems St Andrews is quite happy to do miss out on money from racists and bullies.

They'll probably attract more students from this stance than they'll lose.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 5:31 PM, OverSword said:

If you're that age and are bullying people you are not attending university anyways.  The whole thing is just pathetic.

If you believe that then you:

Haven't been to a university recently.

Are completely oblivious to what goes on around you.

Or were one of the bullies.

Which is it?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Setton said:

What racism?

St Andrews is making new students take a bias test in which they must admit their ‘personal guilt’ before they can begin their studies.

The university, which last month topped a league of UK institutions, will ‘pass’ students if they give certain answers to compulsory questions on diversity, sustainability, consent and good academic practice.  

However, the elite university said the modules had been requested by students, were introduced years ago and that there had been only ‘one complainer in the past five years’.   

The modules ask students to agree with sentences such as: ‘Acknowledging your personal guilt is a useful start point in overcoming unconscious bias.’

https://www.mailplus.co.uk/edition/news/education/110869/woke-students-st-andrews-university-equality-test-personal-guilt

Code for admit you are a racist.  That's just another form of racism IMO.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Setton said:

If you believe that then you:

Haven't been to a university recently.

Are completely oblivious to what goes on around you.

Or were one of the bullies.

Which is it?

From what I saw in school bullying stopped when I was a sophomore much to my surprise and joy at the time.  Maybe it's different over there.

• Like 1

From what I saw in school bullying stopped when I was a sophomore much to my surprise and joy at the time.  Maybe it's different over there.

I highly doubt it's much different between the UK and the US. So which of the three is it?

Code according to who?

Your own victim narrative? The Times? 'Mailplus'?

For one thing, there's nothing in that article that actually mentions race. So perhaps your own unconscious bias right there.

• Like 1

Just now, Setton said:

I highly doubt it's much different between the UK and the US. So which of the three is it?

It's number four in which most students in university have better things to do than bully people.  Except of course for the leftists who bully everyone all the time, like the ones at St. Andrews.

1 minute ago, Setton said:

Code according to who?

For one thing, there's nothing in that article that actually mentions race. So perhaps your own unconscious bias right there.

I'm not a victim.  Being a victim is an attitude when you are protected by law.  It's not my unconscious bias it's my experience with leftist victimhood rhetoric.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Setton said:

Code according to who?

From the article. :-

One student told The Times: ‘I wasn’t happy with it, effectively you had to agree with what they’re saying and these statements weren’t factual things, these were opinions.’ 

The student added: ‘It seems like they are pushing an agenda and it appears performative and contrary to academic freedom and freedom of thought.’

Having to agree with somebody elses opinions or suffer the consequences is worthy of Chairman Moa & has no place at a university.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

From the article. :-

One student told The Times: ‘I wasn’t happy with it, effectively you had to agree with what they’re saying and these statements weren’t factual things, these were opinions.’ 

The student added: ‘It seems like they are pushing an agenda and it appears performative and contrary to academic freedom and freedom of thought.’

Still nothing on race then...

Having to agree with somebody elses opinions or suffer the consequences is worthy of Chairman Moa & has no place at a university.

So to argue that no one should have to just accept someone else's opinion, you quote...one student's opinion...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Setton said:

Still nothing on race then...

So to argue that no one should have to just accept someone else's opinion, you quote...one student's opinion...

Way to miss the point. Not agreeing to his opinion doesn't stop you entering university.....see the difference?

(and what's your obsession with race?)

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 5:08 PM, OverSword said:

You can't see past your bias, can you? How does trying to tackle bullying equate to 'racism'?