Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Several killed in Norway bow and arrow attack

Eldorado

Several people have been killed and others injured in Norway after a man used a bow and arrow to attack them.

Police announced an incident in the town of Kongsberg south-west of the capital Oslo at around 18:30 local time (17:30 BST).

Chief Oeyvind Aas said a suspect had been caught and seemed to have acted alone.

The suspect reportedly moved throughout the town, and authorities have cordoned off several large areas.

BBC report

• Confused 3
  • Sad 8

This is so sad. My thoughts go out to the victims, the families and the people of Norway. It's too early to say if this was intended as a terrorist attack but the suspect is in custody.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/13/europe/kongsberg-norway-attack-intl/index.html

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

The terror angle aside, it's difficult to imagine being able to walk around and shoot that many people with a bow unless it was a crossbow.  Those are just as powerful, more accurate for an inexperienced shooter, and are more easily concealed, I'd imagine.  These days, I immediately become suspicious when authorities refuse to follow normal protocol and simply announce the identity of a suspect that is in custody.  

Regardless, my thoughts and prayers are with the families of those who were murdered.  That is a horror no person should have to face and one that far too many do.  As awful as dying by gunshot wound would be, an arrow wound, unless it penetrated the heart or great vessels, would take much longer to kill and would cause more suffering.  I loved archery as a young man but I never considered bow hunting for that very reason.  It was RARE to hit a deer and not have to track a blood trail, often for hundreds of yards or even more.  I cannot imagine the thinking that would allow a human being to do that to other people. :no:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, and then said:

The terror angle aside, it's difficult to imagine being able to walk around and shoot that many people with a bow unless it was a crossbow.  Those are just as powerful, more accurate for an inexperienced shooter, and are more easily concealed, I'd imagine.  These days, I immediately become suspicious when authorities refuse to follow normal protocol and simply announce the identity of a suspect that is in custody.  

Regardless, my thoughts and prayers are with the families of those who were murdered.  That is a horror no person should have to face and one that far too many do.  As awful as dying by gunshot wound would be, an arrow wound, unless it penetrated the heart or great vessels, would take much longer to kill and would cause more suffering.  I loved archery as a young man but I never considered bow hunting for that very reason.  It was RARE to hit a deer and not have to track a blood trail, often for hundreds of yards or even more.  I cannot imagine the thinking that would allow a human being to do that to other people. :no:

I'd say a regular bow would be easier to conceal, and much quicker to shoot. 

Eitherway, a very sad day. I wonder why he did this?

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Several people have been killed and others injured in Norway after a man used a bow and arrow to attack them.

Police announced an incident in the town of Kongsberg south-west of the capital Oslo at around 18:30 local time (17:30 BST).

Chief Oeyvind Aas said a suspect had been caught and seemed to have acted alone.

The suspect reportedly moved throughout the town, and authorities have cordoned off several large areas.

BBC report

This is a terrible situation that is beyond words, my thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families!:cry:

• Like 1

It's been released that 5 were killed and 2 injured. :cry:  All police will say about the suspect is that it's a 37 yr old Danish man who was living in Kongsberg.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/13/world/europe/norway-bow-arrow-attack.html

The assailant ranged over a broad swath of the city, leaving investigators with an extensive crime scene to scour. One witness, Kjetil Stormark, who is editor of a national security news site, said the police had secured a supermarket where part of the attack was said to have taken place and a section of a street.

The authorities said they were looking into whether another weapon, a knife, may also have been used in the attacks. An off-duty police officer who was not in uniform was among those injured in the attack, the authorities said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't know whether it's lockdown, covid, the vaccine or what, but (some) people have definitely gone a bit screwy in the last few years.

• Like 4

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58910794

https://spygists.com/news/norway-bow-attack-bow-arrow-killer-who-converted-to-islam-escaped-cops-before-arrest-after-killing-5-injuring-2/

"The man arrested for killing five and injuring two people is a convert to Islam, police have confirmed."

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, susieice said:

It's now believed to be a terrorist attack. The victims were all between 50-70 years of age. :cry:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/14/europe/norway-kongsberg-attack-intl/index.html

What a COWARD this guy is.  It sounds like he had mental problems that they were aware of but I guess their laws don't allow them to simply round up potential killers.  It's a sad day for the families but IMO it's preferable to the deaths of children or young adults.  What a horrible, painful death that would be.  I wonder if this guy will face worse consequences than Breivik?  I'd forgotten that that inhuman creature would get out of prison after 21 years.  :unsure2:

Norway attack: Bow and arrow killings suspect moved into care of health services, police say

The suspect in a bow and arrow attack that killed five people in Norway has been moved into the care of health services, police have said.

Detectives have requested that Espen Andersen Braathen be remanded in custody for four weeks, with full isolation for 14 days.

He has acknowledged killing the victims, investigators have said.

https://news.sky.com/story/norway-attack-bow-and-arrow-killings-suspect-moved-into-care-of-health-services-police-say-12434345

• Like 2

On 10/13/2021 at 11:31 PM, susieice said:

It's too early to say if this was intended as a terrorist attack

the suspect is that it's a 37 yr old Danish man

16 hours ago, and then said:

What a COWARD this guy is.

The Norwegian police have now determined that it was not a terrorist attack, but caused by severe mental illness. Not by ideology or intended evil. He was sick, not a coward.

And also: He is not Danish, but born and raised in Norway, by a Danish mother and a Norwegian father. He has double citizenship, but has probably never been to Denmark.

Edited by zep73
  • Like 3

not a terrorist attack, but caused by severe mental illness.

The two go hand in hand. Sadly.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, and then said:

What a COWARD this guy is.  It sounds like he had mental problems that they were aware of but I guess their laws don't allow them to simply round up potential killers.  It's a sad day for the families but IMO it's preferable to the deaths of children or young adults.  What a horrible, painful death that would be.  I wonder if this guy will face worse consequences than Breivik?  I'd forgotten that that inhuman creature would get out of prison after 21 years.  :unsure2:

Breivik won't ever get out of prison. The 21 years is just the maximum sentence that can be administered in Norway. Once 21 years passes, he is analysed by psychologists and they will give him rolling 5 year sentences for the rest of his life, if I remember correctly.

This terrorist (edit - or not a terrorist, it seems) will likely face the same.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Once 21 years passes, he is analysed by psychologists and they will give him rolling 5 year sentences for the rest of his life, if I remember correctly.

Thanks for that.  I'm glad that animal will never be able to physically harm anyone else.  Norway's health care system might be good enough to bring the guy to his senses so that he can grasp how evil his actions were.  IF that happens, I can't think of a worse punishment than having to live every day with that on my conscience.

• Like 2

Five people killed in Norway last week were all stabbed to death and not shot with arrows as initially suspected, police have announced.

Four women and one man, aged between 52 and 78, were killed on Wednesday in the attack in Kongsberg, a town about 45 miles (70km) west of the capital, Oslo.

The attacker was armed with a bow and arrow, which he shot at several people, wounding at least one, but on Monday the police inspector Per Thomas Omholt told reporters none of the deaths was caused by the weapon.

“Five people were killed with stabbing weapons,” Omholt told a news conference on Monday. He declined to say whether these were knives or larger weapons.

Norway attack victims stabbed not shot with arrows, say police | Norway | The Guardian

Edited by The Silver Shroud
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

Five people killed in Norway last week were all stabbed to death and not shot with arrows as initially suspected, police have announced.

Four women and one man, aged between 52 and 78, were killed on Wednesday in the attack in Kongsberg, a town about 45 miles (70km) west of the capital, Oslo.

The attacker was armed with a bow and arrow, which he shot at several people, wounding at least one, but on Monday the police inspector Per Thomas Omholt told reporters none of the deaths was caused by the weapon.

“Five people were killed with stabbing weapons,” Omholt told a news conference on Monday. He declined to say whether these were knives or larger weapons.

Norway attack victims stabbed not shot with arrows, say police | Norway | The Guardian

That guy shot people with a bow and after that killed 5 with knife ? How much time he got to commit that ?

Banning knife could be a thing ? Nah just kidding...  Insane people associated with that kind of event will always find a weapon. If he have enough time to act, it could even wound and kill more with a metal pipe or whatever. More or less impossible to prevent.

Edited by Jon the frog