Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dean Cain: Superman Coming Out as Bisexual ‘Isn’t Brave

el midgetron

Actor Dean Cain, who played Superman in the TV series Lois & Clark, said DC Comics’ decision to make the new Superman bisexual is neither bold nor brave, arguing the publisher would be braver if it made the Man of Steel tackle issues like the oppression of gays in Iran or women under the Taliban.

Dean Cain expressed his views on Superman during an appearance Tuesday on Fox News’ morning show Fox & Friends.

“They said it’s a bold new direction, I say they’re bandwagoning,” Cain said, adding that a number of superheroes have already been re-imagined as gay. “I don’t think it’s bold or brave or some crazy new direction. If they had done this 20 years ago, perhaps that would have been bold or brave.”

The actor said there are bigger issues the comic book writers could be addressing.

“Brave would be having him fighting for the rights of gay people in Iran where they’ll throw you off a building for the offense of being gay,” Cain said.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2021/10/13/dean-cain-superman-coming-out-as-bisexual-isnt-brave-brave-would-be-having-him-fighting-for-the-rights-of-gay-people-in-iran/

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just  to be clear: It is not Superman himself they are making bisexual. It's his son, Jon.

Edited by zep73
  • Like 5

he is correct, the marvel or whatever the studio that makes all those superman's, supergirl, green arrow...etc.  series, it gets pretty politicized, my kids no longer want to watch those, with their gun control narrative, and transgender propaganda, and other liberal garbage. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, aztek said:

he is correct, the marvel or whatever the studio that makes all those superman's, supergirl, green arrow...etc.  series, it gets pretty politicized, my kids no longer want to watch those, with their gun control narrative, and transgender propaganda, and other liberal garbage. 

Just to be clear: So you think that being a straight gun-owner is the only normal way to be?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For a guy that can save the planet, saving people thrown off buildings or violating sovereignty would be trivial.  Afterall, that's the reason for Batman's xenophobia.

However, Kal-el and Lois grieving  the loss of their grand-children, that would be brave.

Edited by Golden Duck

Can't imagine a lot of straight kids will buy this so good luck with sales.  Personally except for Savage Sword of Conan and Judge Dredd in my early 20's my comic book buying days were over around 15 or so.

• Like 3

LMAO... I love how butt hurt and mad this is making some folks!

Pure gold!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Can't imagine a lot of straight kids will buy this so good luck with sales.  Personally except for Savage Sword of Conan and Judge Dredd in my early 20's my comic book buying days were over around 15 or so.

I don't know of any kids that buy comic books at all anymore.  I'm not sure my son and his friends have ever even seen a real comic book...

• Like 2

I see Dean Cain's point.  It's not a public risk to come out as gay anymore.  They practically throw you a parade :lol:.  Now that I think of it I'll bet there will be an initial boost in sales as the gay community is suddenly interested in comic books again for an issue or two.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So, what is Clark Kent saying about it? Is he colateral? 

Not watching DC anymore anyway, for other reasons. Their movies just suck.

Not a fan of Dean Caine at all but here is my list of best Superman actors:

1. Christopher Reeves

2. Dean Caine

3 to current - noone, especialy the one guy in the last few movies.

Batman:

1. Christian Bale. 

2. Christian Bale.

3. Christian Bale.

Aftet that, noone cares.

How does this add to the story of Superman? I'm not understanding how being bisexual is important to truth, justice and hope?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zep73 said:

Just  to be clear: It is not Superman himself they are making bisexual. It's his son, Jon.

His son is the new Superman. His son is Superman.
9CB5C429-811B-4052-8D18-B5AE01511475.jpeg.e7f5f3542a150ef8fde916790a4e3abc.jpeg

5 hours ago, zep73 said:

Just to be clear: So you think that being a straight gun-owner is the only normal way to be?

No. 
Do you think everything that isn’t adorned with a rainbow flag is entrenched in heterosexual firearm ownership? 

40 years ago the left stood for something, Today it’s a burnt out shell of a broken record that’s swinging at ghosts, 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I have a hard time believing anyone can actually survive a sexual experience with Superman or Superwoman, ain't gonna end well... 

~

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I have a hard time believing anyone can actually survive a sexual experience with Superman or Superwoman, ain't gonna end well... 

~

That's a bloody good point.

Seen "The Boys"? Those experiences get pretty rough....

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, quiXilver said:

LMAO... I love how butt hurt and mad this is making some folks!

Pure gold!

A fictional character might be attracted to another fictional character of the same sex?!

I must post on the internet about this!

• Haha 4

Well technically Clark Kent is pansexual, as he’s attracted to and had sex with someone of a totally different species. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Setton said:

A fictional character might be attracted to another fictional character of the same sex?!

I must post on the internet about this!

Yeah the internet is no place to discuss fictional characters.

3 hours ago, el midgetron said:

40 years ago the left stood for something, Today it’s a burnt out shell of a broken record that’s swinging at ghosts, 

So there’s an interesting point to discussed.  That sexuality, which by nature is not a choice is equated to being on the left side of politics.

Where does that perception come from?  Are there no right wing gays?

I would suggest it’s a discussion around tolerance and equality.  Not a shiny endorsement of the left vs right fallacy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Grey Area said:

So there’s an interesting point to discussed.  That sexuality, which by nature is not a choice is equated to being on the left side of politics.

Where does that perception come from?  Are there no right wing gays?

I would suggest it’s a discussion around tolerance and equality.  Not a shiny endorsement of the left vs right fallacy.

Yeah, that’s sort of the point of the article. Homosexuals have equality are not oppressed. They are in every show, “pride” flags adorn all the major product labels, the MSM and Government agencies celebrates pride. Kids in 1st grade are taught about homosexuals. Homosexuality is a selling point, a point of political virtue. Homosexuality enjoys the full support of the cultural establishment.  

There have already been numerous gay superhero’s but this is supposed to be “brave”? What act of bravery can we expect next? Maybe males wearing their hair long? 

You want to talk about tolerance? How about tolerance for people who are bored with everything revolving around sexual identity? Superman being gay is not ground breaking or interesting. It doesn’t challenge any authority or norm. It doesn’t champion anything. It’s already been done, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Judging from some of the butt-hurt comments here, it would appear that DC's decision was bold and brave after all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Judging from some of the butt-hurt comments here, it would appear that DC's decision was bold and brave after all.

Thank you for immediately proving my point about tolerance. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

Homosexuals have equality are not oppressed.

Gays have had their right to marry guaranteed in the US for less than a decade.  But maybe as soon as that decision was handed down that instantly ended all oppression of them or something in your eyes... :rolleyes:

46 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

How about tolerance for people who are bored with everything revolving around sexual identity?

Ha yes, won't someone think of the poor, downtrodden, historically oppressed bored people?  

47 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

Superman being gay is not ground breaking or interesting.

That's the ultimate goal.

So it's not the original Superman suddenly turning bi? That would be weird.

However, it's his son, so who cares - but I agree it does seem like bandwagon jumping.

Edited by moonman

1 hour ago, moonman said:

So it's not the original Superman suddenly turning bi? That would be weird.

However, it's his son, so who cares - but I agree it does seem like bandwagon jumping.

Well technically, Superman is an alien  from the planet Krypton, so surely this argument should be more about interspecies relations right?

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • The topic was locked