Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

COVID-19 was the number 1 cause of death in September for people age 35-54 in the US

ExpandMyMind

COVID-19 was the third leading cause of death across most of 2020, but in December 2020 and early 2021, the illness surged and briefly became the number one leading cause of death in the U.S., far surpassing even cancer and heart disease deaths in those months.

With the rapid uptake in vaccinations in the months when vaccines first became widely available, COVID-19 deaths fell sharply. COVID-19 dropped to the number 7 leading cause of death in the U.S. in July 2021.

However, with the more infectious COVID-19 Delta variant, insufficient vaccination rates, and local and state governments easing up social distancing restrictions, COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations, and deaths increased again. Vaccination rates are particularly lagging for younger adults and people living in certain states. As of October 7, 2021, about 78% of adults (ages 18+) in the U.S. have received at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose and over 50 million adults remain unvaccinated.

This brief revisits where deaths from COVID-19 rank among leading causes of death in the U.S. We find that COVID-19 was the second leading cause of death in September 2021. We also find in September COVID-19 was the number 1 cause of death for people age 35-54 and among the top 7 leading causes of death for people in other age groups.

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/brief/covid19-and-other-leading-causes-of-death-in-the-us/

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Peterson-KFF Health System Tracker

COVID-19 continues to be a leading cause of death in the U.S. in September 2021

COVID-19 was the 2nd leading cause of death in the U.S. in September 2021

Average daily deaths in the United States from COVID-19 (September 2021) and other leading causes (2021)

Disease Daily Death Average
1. Heart disease
2. COVID-19
3. Cancer
4. Accidents
5. Stroke
6. Chronic lower respiratory disease
7. Alzheimer disease
8. Diabetes
9. Other diseases of the respiratory system
10. Renal failure
11. Suicide
Notes: The COVID-19 daily death average is for September 1 - September 30, 2021 and is based on KFF COVID-19 tracker data. Accidents and suicide daily death averages are for 2020. The Alzheimer disease death average is calculated from the first day of January 2021 to the last day of June 2021. Average daily deaths for all other leading causes are from the CDC and are from the beginning of 2021 to the last MMWR week of June 2021.

COVID-19 was the number 1 leading cause of death for people ages 35-54 years in September 2021

Age-specific rank of COVID-19 deaths among leading causes of death in the U.S., 2021

Ages January February March April May June July August September
1-4 11 13 15 7 11 13 13 7 7
5-14 6 7 8 7 8 13 11 6 6
15-24 4 5 6 6 5 7 5 4 4
25-34 2 4 6 6 6 6 6 2 2
35-44 2 4 5 5 5 5 5 1 1
45-54 1 2 4 4 4 4 4 1 1
55-64 1 2 3 3 3 4 3 1 2
65-74 1 2 3 3 3 6 4 3 3
75-84 1 1 3 3 5 7 6 3 3
85+ 1 2 5 5 6 8 7 3 3
All ages 1 1 3 3 3 6 8 3 2
Note: Monthly deaths due to COVID-19 for each month in 2021 (as of October 6, 2021 data) were compared to age-specific death counts due to other rankable leading causes.

Over 90,000 COVID-19 deaths since June 2021 likely would have been prevented with vaccinationSee the source image
To estimate the number of COVID-19 deaths among adults that could have been prevented with vaccines, we looked at COVID-19 deaths among unvaccinated people in the months after vaccines were widely available (June through September 2021). We summed COVID-19 deathsin each month since June and subtracted COVID-19 deaths among children age 0-17 years.

Then, we subtracted COVID-related deaths among vaccinated people with a breakthroughCOVID-19 infection from total COVID-19 deaths among adults in each month. Even if all of the unvaccinated people who died of COVID-19 had chosen to get vaccinated, some of those deaths may not have been preventable since vaccines are not a 100% effective.

A recent CDC studyshowed age-standardized vaccine effectiveness against deaths of 91% in the June 20–July 17 period and 94% in the April 4–June 19 period. Based on this study, we assume 91% of COVID-19 deaths among unvaccinated people likely would have been prevented with COVID-19 inoculations.

We find that since June 2021 over 90,000 lives likely would have been saved with vaccinations. Most of these preventable deaths occurred in the last month, well after vaccines became available. In September 2021 alone, approximately 49,000 deaths likely would have been averted if they had chosen to get vaccinated against COVID-19.

The overwhelming majority of COVID-19 hospitalizations and deaths continue to be preventable.

@simplybill Hey Bill I though you may want to see the statistics that were 13 October 2021, this poll was released by the Kaiser Family Foundation ( KFF ). Bill this polling organization is non-bias and very professional and their polls are very accurate. Can you believe that approximately 90,000 Americans died that were unvaccinated from July to September 2021, this is very sad my friend.
Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2

Among 6916 patients with COVID-19, there was a J-shaped association between BMI and risk for death, even after adjustment for obesity-related comorbidities. Compared with patients with a BMI of 18.5 to 24 kg/m2, those with BMIs of 40 to 44 kg/m2 and greater than 45 kg/m2 had relative risks of 2.68 (95% CI, 1.43 to 5.04) and 4.18 (CI, 2.12 to 8.26), respectively. This risk was most striking among those aged 60 years or younger and men. Increased risk for death associated with Black or Latino race/ethnicity or other sociodemographic characteristics was not detected.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32783686/

Why are these USA 35-54 year olds that obese?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Ell said:

Why are these USA 35-54 year olds that obese?

I have no idea but, what's of more concern to me are the 90,000 Americans that died in a 3 month period because they were not vaccinated. That's a mighty staggering figure when you consider it, it just doesn't make any sense?:no:

3.10^4 per month.

There are about 3,3.10^8 people in the USA. That suggests that in about ten thousand months everybody in the USA will have died from Covid19.

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

…what's of more concern to me are the 90,000 Americans that died in a 3 month period because they were not vaccinated. That's a mighty staggering figure when you consider it, it just doesn't make any sense?:no:

Manwon - It could be that the people who died in the second wave felt confident in the statistics showing their age group was less likely to die from Covid, and maybe they knew someone in that age group who had contracted Covid and survived without the vaccines. Then the lockdown ended, along with the sense of urgency to practice social distancing, use hand sanitizer, and so on. The youthful sense of invulnerability that leads to higher rates of car accidents can also override the importance of remaining diligent in taking ordinary precautions against the virus. 

One of the specific reasons I got vaccinated is because my youthful sense of invulnerability has finally been tamed by the wisdom that comes with age. Funny how that works. Lol

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, simplybill said:

Manwon - It could be that the people who died in the second wave felt confident in the statistics showing their age group was less likely to die from Covid, and maybe they knew someone in that age group who had contracted Covid and survived without the vaccines. Then the lockdown ended, along with the sense of urgency to practice social distancing, use hand sanitizer, and so on. The youthful sense of invulnerability that leads to higher rates of car accidents can also override the importance of remaining diligent in taking ordinary precautions against the virus. 

One of the specific reasons I got vaccinated is because my youthful sense of invulnerability has finally been tamed by the wisdom that comes with age. Funny how that works. Lol

Bill you make a very good point, and under different circumstances I would not hesitate to agree with you. However, when 90,000 Americans die in a 90 day period from June 2021 through September 2021 and those statistics all cover Unvaccinated Americans there is more to it than a sense of Invulnerable. 

Bill, 721,766 Americans have died from COVID-19 as of 13 Oct 2021 and that is the entire Mortality rate since the beginning of the Pandemic and during this 3 month period almost 1/7 of the total deaths occurred that's a wild number. :w00t:I don't think most Americans realize the actual mortality rate for unvaccinated Americans from June to September 2021. 

90,000 Americans in 90 days is a huge number, considering the only comparison is not being vaccinated!:no:

Peace Bill

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 7:44 AM, Manwon Lender said:

Bill you make a very good point, and under different circumstances I would not hesitate to agree with you. However, when 90,000 Americans die in a 90 day period from June 2021 through September 2021 and those statistics all cover Unvaccinated Americans there is more to it than a sense of Invulnerable. 

Bill, 721,766 Americans have died from COVID-19 as of 13 Oct 2021 and that is the entire Mortality rate since the beginning of the Pandemic and during this 3 month period almost 1/7 of the total deaths occurred that's a wild number. :w00t:I don't think most Americans realize the actual mortality rate for unvaccinated Americans from June to September 2021. 

90,000 Americans in 90 days is a huge number, considering the only comparison is not being vaccinated!:no:

Peace Bill

'I wish that I'd got the shot': Dad of 4 who died of COVID (nypost.com)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

These stories are so sad, but they are the reality of what's going on in the United States and around the World. I just don't get what all these deniers are trying to prove by pushing against reality.

5 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

These stories are so sad, but they are the reality of what's going on in the United States and around the World. I just don't get what all these deniers are trying to prove by pushing against reality.

It's tragic and we have such people among our numbers here in the forums. It's not just the ignorant or the political. It's scientists, teachers, pilots, professionals, doctors, nurses and engineers, all willing to play Russian roulette with their lives by eschewing a little shot, a little pin prick that would have saved them. 

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

It's tragic and we have such people among our numbers here in the forums. It's not just the ignorant or the political. It's scientists, teachers, pilots, professionals, doctors, nurses and engineers, all willing to play Russian roulette with their lives by eschewing a little shot, a little pin prick that would have saved them. 

Agreed, but I have come to simple conclusion it's Natural Selection. Throughout mankinds history some groups survived and some groups faded away, in this case it is no different. While it is tragic it's all based upon personal choices and nothing more. If it had no effect on the entire human race I would not give it another thought. However, these people are the breeding factories  that keeps this Virus alive and able to mutate which is a threat to everyone. 

Yes we do have people on the forum that claim this Virus has a low mortality rate. But when you look at the statistics I posted above 90,000 dead unvaccinated Americans have died in the last 3 months if that's not a wakeup call, these people will never get it sadly. 

JIMO

Edited by Manwon Lender

44 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Agreed, but I have come to simple conclusion it's Natural Selection. Throughout mankinds history some groups survived and some groups faded away, in this case it is no different. While it is tragic it's all based upon personal choices and nothing more. If it had no effect on the entire human race I would not give it another thought. However, these people are the breeding factories  that keeps this Virus alive and able to mutate which is a threat to everyone. 

Yes we do have people on the forum that claim this Virus has a low mortality rate. But when you look at the statistics I posted above 90,000 dead unvaccinated Americans have died in the last 3 months if that's not a wakeup call, these people will never get it sadly. 

JIMO

It's a wild card. One has no idea, if contracted unvaccinated, how severe one's case might be. They're gambling on it being just a case of the sniffles and are fugitives from the law of averages. It's sheer madness.

51 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

It's a wild card. One has no idea, if contracted unvaccinated, how severe one's case might be. They're gambling on it being just a case of the sniffles and are fugitives from the law of averages. It's sheer madness.

It is shear madness, but what their actually looking for is heard immunity and that will never happen. This Virus is not like similar Coronaviruses, with both SARS and MERS they had very short incubation periods 4 to 6 days. This Virus has up to a 14 day incubation period and while someone has no symptoms at 7 days to 8 days the person can start infecting others. The only way the teeth will ever be taken out of this Virus is through infection or Vaccination.

The problem these people do not realize is that when a unvaccinated person becomes infected they have no antibodies, and it takes 7 days or longer for an unvaccinated person to start building antibodies. This is why the vaccinated have an advantage and they do not build the Viral load that the unvaccinated do. When the vaccinated become infected the antibodies immediately start to fight the infect, which gives the vaccinated a much better chance of a mild infection if they experience a breakthrough infection. 

This Virus is here to stay, but the truly scary part is what is coming next.