Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Seattle School Cancels Pumpkin Parade

Michelle

Interesting, Michelle.

I'm wondering if relegion is at the root of it? A pumpkin parade sounds innocuous, but perhaps it is seen offensive by some Christians? Maybe the group who boycott it have more fundamental beliefs than most of us?

I know from personal experience with my own family that they believed anything remotely pagan was unacceptable to them- even Disney's "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" film was borderline as it was about a witch. Halloween and films like "The Exorcist" couldn't be mentioned in case familiarity opened the doors to malign spirits.

While many Americans spend October excitedly planning for Halloween’s costumes and candies, many conservative Evangelical Christians look ahead to the holiday with dread. Pastors may warn about “demonic spirits and curses” that can be attached to Halloween traditions, and parents may ask teachers and others to excuse their children from Halloween events. In light of concerns over offending religious families, some schools have banned Halloween celebrations altogether, and some communities host fall harvest festivals instead of trick-or-treating.

Should Christians Celebrate Halloween? Answers Have Evolved | Time

Edited by The Silver Shroud
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

I can't figure out why it would marginalize blacks. 

This has me wondering too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

I know from personal experience with my own family that they believed anything remotely pagan was unacceptable to them- even Disney's "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" film was borderline as it was about a witch. Halloween and films like "The Exorcist" couldn't be mentioned in case familiarity opened the doors to malign spirits.

Really? I don't think I know any Christians that don't love Halloween. Even the Christian schools celebrate it.

• Like 2

Just now, psyche101 said:

This has me wondering too. 

They might have more fundamental beliefs? A belief in Christianity and witches sometimes seem to go together.That's my personal experience working with people from all backgrounds and my own family (and I'm not being critical or anything, it is just my personal, purely anectdotal observation). On YouTube you can find clips of "witches" still being burnt to death in some African villages.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

Really? I don't think I know any Christians that don't love Halloween. Even the Christian schools celebrate it.

I depends on the depth of belief? My family, for example, would be deeply offended if they heard someone say " for C------t's sake", for example.  But they could cheerfully wish someone dead. And they could speak in tongues and couldn't go to the cinema for some reason (now I think of it, it seems strange they got so worked up by "The Exorcist" and "The Life of Brian" since they wouldn't see them).  But then, some religious people are preoccupied with other people's sins.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

They might have more fundamental beliefs? A belief in Christianity and witches sometimes seem to go together.That's my personal experience working with people from all backgrounds and my own family (and I'm not being critical or anything, it is just my personal, purely anectdotal observation). On YouTube you can find clips of "witches" still being burnt to death in some African villages.

Evangelical Christians abhor it too as far as I know, but I can't see how that would be colour specific. These kids are African Americans aren't they? As such if be surprised if they are upholding such outdated traditions. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michelle said:

I bet if a Christian said Halloween offends them the school would fight tooth and nail to have the parade. :D I can't figure out why it would marginalize blacks. Lot's of ethnicities don't celebrate Halloween either...they just don't make a big deal out of it.

Oh but they do make a big deal out of it.

This story is but one of many. Schools throughout the US are cancelling Halloween festivities to promote inclusivity, concerned not just with alienating students who don't celebrate the holiday for personal or religious reasons, but also to avoid impacting those students who cannot afford costumes.

The two primary divides are religious and economic.

So no, if Christians said Halloween offends them, the school would not fight tooth and nail to have the parade. Some Christians find Halloween (given its Pagan roots and connection to All Saints' Day) too Satanic. And five bucks says there are Muslims and Jews who view it as too Christian. As for why certain Halloween festivities might marginalise some Black students, there are some obvious possible reasons why.

Schools simply need to come up with Halloween activities that are more inclusive. I don't think that they have to take extreme measures and cancel celebrations altogether, because little wannabe ghosts and goblins shouldn't be excluded either.

• Like 3

An elementary school in Washington state canceled its annual Halloween parade for 2021 after its faculty determined that the event "marginalizes students of color who do not celebrate the holiday," according to a statement from the school.

Why don't they just not attend then? simple really.

In effect - cancel a parade that is enjoyed by the majority to appease the 'assumed' feelings of the minority. Daft.

Self loathing, guilt ridden white liberals are determined to spoil everything.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Presumably 4th July celebrations will be cancelled for the same reason?  (it's also a white American tradition).

And as for Christmas.  That's definitely a no-no!

Much easier than actually teaching pupils the origins of such festivities and how they have evolved over time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Michelle said:

An elementary school in Washington state canceled its annual Halloween parade for 2021 after its faculty determined that the event "marginalizes students of color who do not celebrate the holiday," according to a statement from the school.

The decision of the Racial Equity Team at Benjamin Franklin Day Elementary School was the product of five years of discussion, the school district said.

"There are numerous community and neighborhood events where students and families who wish to can celebrate Halloween," a Seattle Public Schools spokeswoman said in the statement. "Historically, the Pumpkin Parade marginalizes students of color who do not celebrate the holiday. Specifically, these students have requested to be isolated on campus while the event took place."

cont...

https://www.yahoo.com/now/elementary-school-cancels-halloween-parade-194700905.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAMxCltV8SfoxYPI-jsEPBiKrJGNd5XSdMcT5FG_LOJXFUMCsokOe1QYoom3-KaIEH1Z5_mJPj1ZdKXDq-wMwsVyXu5X1oda_lDyr5zpTSroyANM0TaYzZVzydB7mwPesw7gti17Um1YxdeU0MKsm6bFTFnaUKjpQ3hQnZKQhvInZ

I bet if a Christian said Halloween offends them the school would fight tooth and nail to have the parade. :D I can't figure out why it would marginalize blacks. Lot's of ethnicities don't celebrate Halloween either...they just don't make a big deal out of it.

it has little to do with the holiday itself, it is an attempt to erase the culture, replace values, brainwash new generations to hate current culture

• Like 5

More stupid cancel culture by the left.    What a bunch of morons.   Creating racism where there was none.  

I'm glad the city I live in still has their Halloween celebration.  It's called the callithumpian day celebration.

https://www.decaturchamber.org/events/callithumpian-festival/5

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

So no, if Christians said Halloween offends them, the school would not fight tooth and nail to have the parade.

It's called a joke. Hence the little smiley face after that sentence. ;)

• Like 2

This is so moronic. Dear God lol.

And for everyone who is confused about the "marginalized" communities of color.

I'm pretty sure they are talking about Somalis, Muslim, etc.

Black people and Christian overwhelmingly celebrate Halloween. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Schools simply need to come up with Halloween activities that are more inclusive. I don't think that they have to take extreme measures and cancel celebrations altogether, because little wannabe ghosts and goblins shouldn't be excluded either.

Halloween is already a secular holiday.

Secular is the definition of inclusive.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I'm pretty sure they are talking about Somalis, Muslim, etc

Or Native people who may not buy in.

In these times, how many parents trust their children to the candy giving good intentions of strangers?  Is it an evolving holiday?

• Like 1

We have groups of Somali kids that go out trick or treating around here. Haven't seem them in the past couple years but they were definitely taking part. I don't think they wore costumes but nobody really cared.

Edited by moonman

This was the elementary school I attended in the 70's though it has moved a few blocks away and across the street, Benjamin Franklin Elementary alumni speaking here, no kidding.  I was a crossing guard there in 6th grade.  Would you like to know just how possibly ridiculous this is?  This place is highly Caucasian. According to Census info it is 75% white with the next largest ethnic group being, you guessed it, the other wealthy people, Asians.  All the Asian kids I knew growing up loved Halloween.

The only reasoning I can give for this is that since many Microsoft employees live there that this is out of consideration for people from India that have bought homes and now live there.  But those people would no doubt send their kids to a private school so....... Just more white anti-racist racists who see race everywhere they look making life miserable for people who's life doesn't revolve around racism.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

I'm wondering if relegion is at the root of it? A pumpkin parade sounds innocuous, but perhaps it is seen offensive by some Christians? Maybe the group who boycott it have more fundamental beliefs than most of us?

Believe me, this area is not full of religious fundamentalists. If Christians complained about Halloween in King County they would be ignored and or mocked.

10 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Evangelical Christians abhor it too as far as I know, but I can't see how that would be colour specific. These kids are African Americans aren't they? As such if be surprised if they are upholding such outdated traditions. 

As I stated before this is all the work of liberal idiot white SJW's being offended by race on behalf of people that they think are unable to speak for themselves because they lack the privilege. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The decision had everything to do with protecting students of color and nothing to do with the pandemic, the statement read.

Costume parties may be uncomfortable for those students whose families are unable to afford a costume for them, and the noises that resonate from such events make some children upset, according to the newsletter sent to parents.

LOL

• Like 1

When I was a kid I made costumes out of trash and stuff lying around - I never paid for a costume, the best ones are homemade. I call BS on "not being able to afford a costume" as an excuse for anything.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

Interesting, Michelle.

While many Americans spend October excitedly planning for Halloween’s costumes and candies, many conservative Evangelical Christians look ahead to the holiday with dread. Pastors may warn about “demonic spirits and curses” that can be attached to Halloween traditions, and parents may ask teachers and others to excuse their children from Halloween events. In light of concerns over offending religious families, some schools have banned Halloween celebrations altogether, and some communities host fall harvest festivals instead of trick-or-treating.

Should Christians Celebrate Halloween? Answers Have Evolved | Time

This kind of thing has been going on a long time.  When my youngest was in 4th grade a parent, ONE parent, called the principal to complain about the annual halloween carnival that the PTA put on to earn money for the school.    I was part of the PTA and my suggestion was to go ahead with the planning as we had already made commitments and change the name to harvest festival, which was acceptable to the principal who was asking us to cancel the event.

We did all the same things we always had, costume contest, pumpkin carving, cake walk, haunted house, tarot card reader, etc.   No one complained about it at all.  In reality that is all halloween is really about in the secular world, it is a harvest and end of summer celebration.   We love our costume parties and most love giving candy to little ones dressed up.  Even as a child, I never understood that one, sending your kids out to beg in the neighborhood.  Nowadays it is such a big deal people show up to a neighborhood with big houses and unload 10 kids to trick or treat.     Anyone who fears the celebrations as devils work need counseling in my opinion.   They see the devil everywhere and it essentially indicates they are a devil worshiper rather than a real christian who worships a god that is supposed to protect us.   Fear is a real danger to society, especially if it is allowed to dictate what we celebrate and how.  

Christians who try to control the rest of the world, based on their fears, need to be sent off to an island with all the politicians so that the rest of us can live in a decent society.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, moonman said:

When I was a kid I made costumes out of trash and stuff lying around - I never paid for a costume, the best ones are homemade. I call BS on "not being able to afford a costume" as an excuse for anything.

When I was young enough to dress up for halloween my  mom made our costumes (one year old sheets with eye holes so we could be ghosts) and I always made my kids costumes too.

• Like 2