Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Seattle School Cancels Pumpkin Parade

Michelle

45 minutes ago, F3SS said:

If they're excluded it's because their parents won't let them and their parents are probably zealots. Nobody else is excluding them. If the kid has stress and anxiety issues over it well that's sad but it's no reason to just call off the whole thing. Stress and anxiety is part of life and part of developing character and personality amongst a myriad of other things of course. We know who the people on charge are though. Any excuse to upend an American tradition. 

I agree that in many instances parents play a huge role. Young kids just want to have fun, so imagine those kids who've been told by their parents that they cannot take part in school sponsored celebrations for whatever religious or other reasons. And whilst I realise that stress and anxiety are a part of life, I wouldn't wish any of that on a young child.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I have no clue either, that's why it's been so difficult to discuss this case specifically.

Don't you think it odd that it took five years of discussions to reach an agreement? Were those same kids still sitting out on the pumpkin parades?

Very much so.

A lot about this story seems odd. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I agree that in many instances parents play a huge role. Young kids just want to have fun, so imagine those kids who've been told by their parents that they cannot take part in school sponsored celebrations for whatever religious or other reasons. And whilst I realise that stress and anxiety are a part of life, I wouldn't wish any of that on a young child.

Of course I don't wish it either but it's inevitable and unreasonable to think a person can be completely shielded of it. 

11 hours ago, Michelle said:

Or go in groups. The older ones can do a head count every once in a while.

That reminds me of a true story of a school trip where I live. When the coaches returned from the day at the seaside, they had mislaid a few of the kids, but as the headteacher explained, they had brought back a few that no one knew, so they weren't the only school to have made mistakes.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

If the kids are stressed, it comes from their parents and removing Halloween won't fix it.  

2 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

That reminds me of a true story of a school trip where I live. When the coaches returned from the day at the seaside, they had mislaid a few of the kids, but as the headteacher explained, they had brought back a few that no one knew, so they weren't the only school to have made mistakes.

Were the kids in the group stupid or what? :D Buses don't hold that many kids and we certainly would have noticed someone we didn't know, much less a few of them.

11 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

I'm still not clear why Holloween should be the target of wokeism.

Because the actual goal of wokeism is to tear down society thus they vilify anything associated with norms as racist, homophobic, misogynistic, etc. 

• Like 1

Some Michigan schools are cancelling Halloween and Valentine's day.  

https://www.foxnews.com/us/michigan-schools-cancel-halloween-valentines-day-inclusion

Michigan's East Lansing Public Schools announced this week that elementary schools will drop Halloween and Valentine's Day celebrations.

In a letter reportedly sent to parents and shared by WLNS, officials wrote that the decision was made due to concerns over hurt feelings and uncomfortable families.

Idk maybe I am woke :ph34r: lol.

Valentine's day as a little kid always seemed really weird to me

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Yeah, weird huh.   I remember my mom loved making valentines for everyone in my class when I was in grade school.   She would use paper doilies and red construction paper and I would write a name on each one.   Now it just seems like another marketing holiday, buy, buy, buy.  Send your kids to school with the coolest marvel or disney valentines.  And you have to have candy hearts for everyone.  I think it was originally a marketing holiday for men to buy expensive gifts for their wives and girl friends.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

lol, you do not say,  it would be alarming if it was not weird to a little kid.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, aztek said:

lol, you do not say,  it would be alarming if it was not weird to a little kid.  

I don't recall it being weird for me.  Just brought some valentines and gave them to everybody and ate some candy.  I do remember liking the valentines that had jokes on them. 

Maybe bring a little better one for a girl you have a crush on.

image.png.99f262a609fec04d99089d2f5b23fa24.png

I remember being forced to write valentines cards for everyone in class, hated it.

Go ahead and cancel valentine's day, that fine. Just leave Halloween alone.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I don't recall it being weird for me.  Just brought some valentines and gave them to everybody and ate some candy.  I do remember liking the valentines that had jokes on them. 

Maybe bring a little better one for a girl you have a crush on.

image.png.99f262a609fec04d99089d2f5b23fa24.png

From what i remember, until about 10y.o. boys usually do not develop attraction  to the opposite sex.   a valentine day type of attraction. you must remember little rascals movie, all boys club, all girls club.,   at that age a though of a boy kissing a girl, or liking one, is not that popular,  kids of that age go Yuck, when they see people kiss.  i see the same behavior in my and my friends kids today,   sure those there are some exceptions, 

8 minutes ago, aztek said:

From what i remember, until about 10y.o. boys usually do not develop attraction  to the opposite sex.   a valentine day type of attraction. you must remember little rascals movie, all boys club, all girls club.,   at that age a though of a boy kissing a girl, or liking one, is not that popular,  kids of that age go Yuck, when they see people kiss.  i see the same behavior in my and my friends kids today,   sure those there are some exceptions, 

I still remember a couple girls I had a crush on when I was in 2nd to 4th grade.   Kissing never occurred to me, but I remember wanting them to like me and playing in the playground.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

I still remember a couple girls I had a crush on when I was in 2nd to 4th grade.   Kissing never occurred to me, but I remember wanting them to like me and playing in the playground.  

well then you are an early bloomer. i remember the whole girl liking, and more importantly doing something about, like telling that to the girl,  did not start until 4-5th grade with me, same with most kids i hang out with, 

Edited by aztek

43 minutes ago, aztek said:

From what i remember, until about 10y.o. boys usually do not develop attraction  to the opposite sex. 

Seven for me.  I followed Stacy Lynd around the playground and fantasized she would have my children even though I didn't know how that was accomplished yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

20 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Seven for me.  I followed Stacy Lynd around the playground and fantasized she would have my children even though I didn't know how that was accomplished yet.

My grandson will be 11 next month.  He still doesn't like girls, but last school year he finally made friends with a girl that has been following him around since 2nd grade.  he was the only boy invited to her birthday party that year.   Now she is one of his best friends.

I know there will be kids coming for treats as everyone has their yards decorated and I have bought my usual amount of too much chocolate to give away so my grand-daughter and I can eat the rest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

I have bought my usual amount of too much chocolate to give away so my grand-daughter and I can eat the rest.

*snicker* Grand-daughter will eat it...yeah...:ph34r:

• Haha 3

On 10/14/2021 at 5:14 PM, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I'm all for keeping kids of the streets. I've never heard of trick or treat in malls. It's a brilliant idea.

The school my grandson is having a trunk or treat, where parents decorate their cars and park in the school parking lot for the kids to get treats at school.  It is not on halloween night though it is 8 days before.   The kids get to wear their costumes and hang out with their school friends.