Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

Banksy's Love is in the Bin sells at auction for record £16m

Still Waters

A Banksy artwork which shredded itself at a previous auction has sold for a record £16 million.

Love is in the Bin was what remained of the anonymous artist's live destruction of his piece Girl with Balloon, which sold for £1m in 2018.

It went under the hammer at Sotheby's in London on Thursday, selling for £16m - vastly over its £4-6m guide price.

Including a buyer's premium, the purchaser paid £18.5m in total.

The sale, which saw nine bidders battle for around 10 minutes, beats the previous record of £16.8m set for Banksy in March.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58908768

• Like 1

OverSword

I love banksy but 16 mil for a stencil?  :lol:  I don't know.  That's got to be a status thing to make your other rich scumbag friends jealous

• Thanks 1

The Silver Shroud
8 hours ago, OverSword said:

I love banksy but 16 mil for a stencil?  :lol:  I don't know.  That's got to be a status thing to make your other rich scumbag friends jealous

There is something a bit dodgy about current art prices. I was listening to a programme about non-fungible art, the prices are inflated and there is no guarantee that prices will be held. I like Banksy too, but like you I'm not convinced his work should be valued in many millions.

(For those who may not be familiar with non fungible tokens:Non-fungible tokens are revolutionising the art world – and art theft | Cryptocurrencies | The Guardian)

Edited by The Silver Shroud