Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Christchurch: New Zealand city parts ways with its wizard

Still Waters

The New Zealand city of Christchurch has cast its official wizard from the payroll after 23 years of service.

Ian Brackenbury Channell, 88, was paid NZ$16,000 (£8,200; $11,280) a year to provide "acts of wizardry" and promote the city.

However the city has now ended his contract, saying it is going in a more modern and diverse direction.

Christchurch is the only city to have had an official Wizard since 1982, the city council's website says.

Mr Channell told local media that he no longer fitted "the vibes" of the city because he was a provocateur.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58924306

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I di

On 10/15/2021 at 6:41 PM, aztek said:

lol, diverse direction uh, lol.  i can't wait to see who they replace him with.  

I wouldn't mind doing it, but probably people would think I'm an Orc and start beachslap me

• Haha 1

But he has also been criticised for his remarks about women. Among other comments, he said "never strike a woman because they bruise too easily" on a comedy current affairs show in April, according to The Guardian.

That's not the reason why we don't strike women, (or other people) but it's true.  Women generally bruise more easily than men.  Something about a common iron deficiency, right?

On 10/15/2021 at 10:41 AM, aztek said:

lol, diverse direction uh, lol.  i can't wait to see who they replace him with.  

I hate that kind of language.  It means he's too white and too male.  Clearly that part is racist.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Future_Ikann said:

Kinda sucks for the guy, he's in his 80's now... they could have just waited him out.

Wizards commonly live 300 years. :yes:

• Haha 1