Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Native Americans are addicted to government help


Eldorado
 Share

Recommended Posts

Host Rachel Campos-Duffy said on Wednesday that hardship experienced within Native American communities has “everything to do with government dependency” and “alcoholism”.

Fellow Fox News host Jesse Watters chimed in, saying that liberals “make them out to be victims” and will strive to “send more slush funds to the reservations”.

Ms Campos-Duffy blasted Vice President Kamala Harris for saying that America needs to face its “shameful past” as she recognised Indigenous Peoples’ Day on Monday. She added that explorers coming from Europe, including Christopher Columbus, “ushered in a wave of devastation for tribal nations, perpetrating violence, stealing land, and spreading disease”.

Full UK Independent story at MSN

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why not, i can believe that, but they are not the only ones, they are prbly the smallest demographics who depend on gvmnt a lot.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow!  Just wow.  I wonder if she has ever been anywhere near a reservation or spoken to any native americans.   Maybe it is different on the Pueblo reservations and Navajo reservation.   There is a lot of alcoholism, but being dependent on government assistance that is random at best and difficult to get does not give anyone room for dependency on goverment.   Why do you think they all have casinos now?   So they have the resources they need.   

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In Sherman Alexie's semi autobiographical novel "The absolutely true diary of a part time Indian" he describes the highly dependent on government provisions, un-nutritious diet that was consumed growing up on the Spokane reservation.  As far as the excessive amounts of alcoholism suffered among natives that is well documented.  Although it may seem in bad taste for the insensitive people of Fox News to talk about it, it doesn't make it less true.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, OverSword said:

In Sherman Alexie's semi autobiographical novel "The absolutely true diary of a part time Indian" he describes the highly dependent on government provisions, un-nutritious diet that was consumed growing up on the Spokane reservation.  As far as the excessive amounts of alcoholism suffered among natives that is well documented.  Although it may seem in bad taste for the insensitive people of Fox News to talk about it, it doesn't make it less true.  

No,you see now that Fox has spoken on the matter watch as rhe MSM narrative changes to subtly cast what’s going on as a good thing because otherwise they’d be agreeing with Fox. We might even start to see research showing the exact opposite of what Fox said. Albeit it research with lots of weasel words and vague data sources.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, OverSword said:

In Sherman Alexie's semi autobiographical novel "The absolutely true diary of a part time Indian" he describes the highly dependent on government provisions, un-nutritious diet that was consumed growing up on the Spokane reservation.  As far as the excessive amounts of alcoholism suffered among natives that is well documented.  Although it may seem in bad taste for the insensitive people of Fox News to talk about it, it doesn't make it less true.  

Interesting yes, and a lesson for our future. Jobless, or unable to support their families with  jobs, addicted to opioids in many cases and living in states that are so poor they are permanently on welfare from the federal government.  That describes most of the South as well as reservations. FOX news doesn't much like to talk about poverty and drugs in Dixie among the faithful.   If trends continue around the country, a lot of Americans will be in the same boat in 20 years.

7 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

No,you see now that Fox has spoken on the matter watch as rhe MSM narrative changes to subtly cast what’s going on as a good thing because otherwise they’d be agreeing with Fox. We might even start to see research showing the exact opposite of what Fox said. Albeit it research with lots of weasel words and vague data sources.

It is not a good thing, deception is not what is needed.   Addressing issues would help.  

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

 

It is not a good thing, deception is not what is needed.   Addressing issues would help.  

I agree entirely, I’m also not naive enough to think that this issue will cross the political landscape the media is fostering, and more than likely we’ll see the media respond to Fox by attempting to prove Fox wrong.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ya right  what the liberals are trying to do. Take away with Christopher Columbus, “ send all the blacks back to Africa and all the Europeans  back to  Europe and  all  the Orientals  back to China and let the native Americans take over :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, docyabut2 said:

ya right  what the liberals are trying to do. Take away with Christopher Columbus, “ send all the blacks back to Africa and all the Europeans  back to  Europe and  all  the Orientals  back to China and let the native Americans take over :)

:lol:  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

:lol:  

ya and take away the American `s  history :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

ya and take away the American `s  history :(

Don't worry.  It won't happen.   Some of the history that was taken away is now being restored (like Custer is no longer a hero, nor is Don Juan Onate, they were both criminals.)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

ya right  what the liberals are trying to do. Take away with Christopher Columbus, “ send all the blacks back to Africa and all the Europeans  back to  Europe and  all  the Orientals  back to China and let the native Americans take over :)

Nah, nobody has to go back,. everybody gets to stay.  Columbus has not been cancelled, he is just recognized as a murdering rapist as well as an explorer.  You don't want your true history Docy.  You want pretend.  Learning from the past or sadder and wiser are not in your agenda.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Nah, nobody has to go back,. everybody gets to stay.  Columbus has not been cancelled, he is just recognized as a murdering rapist as well as an explorer.  You don't want your true history Docy.  You want pretend.  Learning from the past or sadder and wiser are not in your agenda.

well gosh you all got to  remember your true  history {)

Edited by docyabut2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How many generations until these things become history and not part of current events? The past has so many stories of suffering in just about everyone's ancestry. And I'm sure there were Native Americans that were perpetrators and warlike to other Native Americans too. I say 'move on'. It's a different world dominated by different thinking.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

How many generations until these things become history and not part of current events? The past has so many stories of suffering in just about everyone's ancestry. And I'm sure there were Native Americans that were perpetrators and warlike to other Native Americans too. I say 'move on'. It's a different world dominated by different thinking.

sorry but learn your history :(

Edited by docyabut2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, docyabut2 said:

sorry learn your history :(

I consider myself quite knowledgeable in history.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Nah, nobody has to go back,. everybody gets to stay.  Columbus has not been cancelled, he is just recognized as a murdering rapist as well as an explorer.  You don't want your true history Docy.  You want pretend.  Learning from the past or sadder and wiser are not in your agenda.

Most people are not paragons of virtue including Native Americans. They have been idealized until their real history is virtually unrecognizable.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I consider myself quite knowledgeable in history.

no you do don't :(

Edited by docyabut2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Most people are not paragons of virtue including Native Americans. They have been idealized until their real history is virtually unrecognizable.

this is a most excellent point 

we've done some miserably ****ed up things, all of us. indigenous, white European, dark European, white African, black African, dusky Mediterranean, white with freckles, black with spots 

this is and has become far beyond any racial issue 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

this is a most excellent point 

we've done some miserably ****ed up things, all of us. indigenous, white European, dark European, white African, black African, dusky Mediterranean, white with freckles, black with spots 

this is and has become far beyond any racial issue 

Yes, we must all admit that our progenitors did some really crappy things. But because other groups did something nasty too, is no excuse from recognizing racism within our own group. Those who ignore history... etc. etc.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today every border is well defined and every square foot of land has it's recognized owner, but up until a couple hundred years ago that wasn't so. 500 years ago even less.
Back then land was everyone's right to claim. And they did. Those who could not defend it, lost it. It's how nature made us. Some call it greed or hubris, but it's universal. Not a white man's disease.

So where do we go from now?
My suggestion is that we start treating each other with more respect. Recognize why some people do not prosper, and solve it, instead of throwing money at it, to make it go away.

 

Edited by zep73
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Today every border is well defined and every square foot of land has it's recognized owner

Kashmir, Tibet, Taiwan and Crimea disagree, just off the top of my head.

Edited by Likely Guy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, zep73 said:

So where do we go from now?
My suggestion is that we start treating each other with more respect. Recognize why some people do not prosper, and solve it, instead of throwing money at it, to make it go away.

Thank you! Just pounding it into people's heads how bad their "group" is/was is counterproductive and puts them on the defensive. There are other ways to get a point across and teaching history. We need solutions...not blame or excuses.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Kashmir, Tibet, Taiwan and Crimea disagree, just off the top of my head.

Yes, there are some nations who still haven't gotten enough. It's human nature. But today we have the UN and an international community. And nukes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.